Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's holiday reports  (Read 2392 times)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Antler's holiday reports
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
Seemed simplest to start this as a "new" topic as I wasn't sure where to put it.

Fame at last!!   I feature in one of Antler's holiday reports - Day 5 (part 2).   The day had started for me with a visit by our agent.   Expecting at the same time a visit from a plumber/electrician/someone of that nature, can't even remember why, I opened the front door to a knock to find an unknown man on the door step saying "Steve".   The penny dropped.   He held out for me a parcel containing the most delicious almond and orange torte which he had "just put together ".
So I can now personally say he does indeed cook very well.   Antler (Steve) had just dropped by to ensure he could find our villa that evening when we had invited him, Mrs Antler and Ollie Antler for drinks.

Now I should explain that they were only invited for drinks because I know he really cooks on holiday and I simply don't.  I much enjoyed meeting Antler, Mrs Antler and Antler junior.   It was great to be able to show them round our little bit of Kalkan and enjoy a drink on the roof terrace.  He said nice things about our place (which we love obviously) so "Thank you Antler".

Knowing that Antler was writing his usual holiday blog it was very frustrating not to have the technology to read it as it went on.   It did mean that when I eventually unpacked on return home and was able to sit at my computer with a glass of wine I had all the fun of reading the whole blog at once.   However I am now resolved that in future I must must must try to take out to Kalkan a laptop or some such.   Not into I Pads as yet.

As you can imagine I thoroughly enjoyed reading Antler's blog. 

One thing I remember is that they didn't go up the castle at Kekova and several other people said "Why bother".   Anyone who has met me will not have put me down as someone who lightly runs up hills.   However each time I have been on the boat trip to Kekova I have walked up to the castle and recommend it to other people.   Steps have been put in during recent years which makes the trip up much easier.   The view is great and the whole place very interesting.   Please please try it if you haven't so far.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9727.0

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Antler's holiday reports
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:50:11 AM »
Thank you Tortoise Lady, it was lovely to meet you, too!

Here is the recipe I promised you:

Almond & Orange Torte

I orange
3 eggs
225g / 8oz light brown sugar or golden caster sugar
250g / 9oz ground almonds
½ teaspoon baking powder
……………………………………………………………………………………………

Grease and line a 20cm / 8” cake tin (I use a non stick tin and just put a circle of baking paper in the bottom).

Put the whole orange in a pan, cover with water and simmer for an hour or more until soft. Remove from the water and let it cool. Cut the orange in half, remover any pips and chop it in your Mini Chopper blender until a smooth puree.

Pre-heat the oven to 180/160C fan, gas mark 4.

Put eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale. Fold in the ground almonds, baking powder and orange puree.

Pour it into the tin and bake for about 40 minutes until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to completely cool in the tin – it will fall apart if you take it out too soon!

Dust the whole thing with icing sugar and serve while it is still white (it is so moist, it will disappear quickly). Or, serve with a good vanilla ice cream, or lemon / orange zested fromage frais - if you have time.

Jobs a good ‘un!!

Steve

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:44:53 AM »
OK I will have to try the trip up to the castle, and the torte.  Sounds yummy!

Offline Chris the Spark

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »
We are just trying to work out where your Villa is as we have purchased an apartment near to you.....I think. Perhaps if i explain where ours is you could tell us. From the Olive tree roundabout stood with your back towards Jayne and Bobs place, go straight on past the ram shackled place on the left, passing the silver rubbish bin usually on the right of the road and on the corner of the next little road going up are 3 apartments painted a pale lilac colour and there is pergola situated in the corner of the grounds. We are the middle apartment. they are called lila apartments. Are you along that road, on the left or right? :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »
From the Olive Tree roundabout, go straight on past the very old house on your left, then there is a road on your left which has recently been re-surfaced. Yellow Villa is the very next property on your left, adjacent to the newly surfaced road.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anyone else out there - more holiday reports please

Started by chrissy1 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 10:24:37 PM
by dshiels
xx
Holiday reports - Click to say THANKS -

Started by tortoise lady on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 07:12:40 PM
by tortoise lady
xx
So glad it's back - can we have some holiday reports

Started by chrissy1 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 10:51:16 AM
by Lizilu20
xx
Antler Goes on Holiday......

Started by antler on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 11:07:18 PM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal