Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Holiday - Day 3 - September 3rd (The Naked Chef?)  (Read 4516 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Holiday - Day 3 - September 3rd (The Naked Chef?)
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:13:22 AM »
The sun felt fierce as we walked up past the White House, along by Isos Kitchen, Begonvil Restaurant and Sofra. By the time we reached Touch Bistro we were glad of our small water bottle and even more so by the time we hit the Kalamar Road. And that distance is not that far at all.

Mehmet was waiting outside of Jasmine Coiffeur and it was great to see him again as he beckoned me to the chair for my 10.30am shave. He pointed to my rather damp T-shirt, saying “Take Off” and he hung it out of the window to dry in the hot sunshine while his young girl made us some fruit tea and coffee.

We laughed about last year’s trip to Akbel Market on his bike and the fresh fish purchase as 5 or 6 days of growth came away from my face. Not only did I get my nose and ears done this time, as I was naked at the top, I got my back shaved as well. Good, I thought, the girls will be pleased as they are always telling me I should get my back waxed.

We had booked Mehmet to give Mrs A’s shoulders a massage too, as following her recent key hole surgery for a frozen shoulder, she needed to have it manipulated frequently. Oh how she enjoyed a good manipulation form Mehmet! And he asked her to call back in whenever she could for some more treatment…..With a trim of my head, too, I felt a new bloke walking up the hill to Vita for some lunch.

The Efes was very welcome, as they switched on the fans around our table, chatting to Mustafa about his menu and the popular things this year. It is an amazingly good value menu with, for instance, Lamb Skewers with Rice & Vegetables for less than TL18. And you get 3 skewers of lamb, apparently. Their home made chips are second to none and we waited to see if any of the kids would bother to turn up to eat with their mum & dad.

An Efes later, there they were, all 5 of them bundling out of a taxi from the harbour. Fantastic, Family Lunch!

3 of us had the famous Shrimp Casserole with a bowl of Home Made Chips. After all, life ain’t no rehearsal; it really was fabulous and would not go with an Efes at all, so bring on the Rose Dalouca and the start of our slippery slope.

I personally do not believe food gets any better than that served at Café Vita and it was a superb lunch. TL200 for 7 – less than a tenner each – I will be back to dunk my chips in that creamy, prawn sauce, for sure.

Mustafa called us a taxi, dropping Bex and I off at the Butchers, while the others hit the pool at Kismet.

Yussuf had an ear-to-ear grin as we chatted about life and I reminded him of what he said last year - and he remembered! I noticed he had put on weight around his stomach, like a beer belly, and I reciprocated, telling him he looked fatter this year, “Are you still 70kgs?”

“No”, he replied, “I am 72”.  When I informed him that was OK, as I was 82kgs, he turned his nose up as if smelling something rotten. I just love to hate him!

He trimmed the fat from some lamb shoulders, as I shot a short video, freshly minced some lamb for tonight’s Moussaka and packed in chicken thighs and breasts. The fillet steak had to be “tomorrow” but there was no rush……

At the Greengrocers opposite, the smell of fresh vines from the tomatoes hit you as you walked in. TL1.75 for a kilo, what an absolute joy to look, smell and eat. Two bags of vegetables & fruit, about my limit to carry, TL30.

After a swim at Kismet, the cocktails were flowing by the pool, the music was on and the family laughing, joking and splashin’ about. But it was time for me to cook. So, refreshed from the pool, I put on this crisp, cream and green striped apron and walked out onto the patio.
Jo thought it looked rather cool, but made me look as though I was naked. As I turned to walk back into the lounge patio doors, the apron strings dangled down my naked ass cheeks to squeals of delight from the girls by the pool.

Well, you have to have a laugh!

While thickly sliced and seasoned aubergines were roasting, I shredded cucumbers, salted and let them drain. Then, boiled some potatoes – with lovely, yellow flesh that I was sure would be flavoursome - for a tortilla, and the balance would go into a potato salad.

Tabbouleh was next, chop, chop and chop. I can’t use the mini chopper for that as if you are not careful, it makes the fresh herbs go more like pesto and changes the flavour completely.

Browning the freshly minced lamb, the smell of cinnamon, thyme and oregano filled the kitchen as I slurped a gin, Cointreau and large slug of fresh lemon juice cocktail, over plenty of ice.
And that was that. Dinner for tonight – chicken skewers, simply roasted with some fresh tabbouleh and cacik, Turkish Moussaka and fresh bread. With a lot of love.

All enjoyed on the terrace, by the pool, with Kizmee and Penny sat patiently by our feet, just waiting for something to drop off the table - but definitely preferring the Chicken Skewers!

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11551.0

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Re: Antler's Holiday - Day 3 - September 3rd (The Naked Chef?)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:11:01 AM »
My Sunday. (Sorry it is so cheesy!)

http://youtu.be/6H8-t8B4FrM

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:17:52 AM »
Pure joy! The food was made with love and your posting was written with love.

I just got back from KK in the early hours of this morning - feeling pretty bereft - but this lovely piece of writing made my spirits soar. Thanks so much for this. Can't wait for my next visit in October.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:24:08 AM »
Yesterday at the Butchers. Nice Yussuf!

http://youtu.be/y6Jj1Ee-OIQ

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »
A lovely way for me to start my day......thanks Antler!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »
Enjoying sharing your holiday thanks for taking time !!  but ye gods man ..it's a good job you kept your kecks on in the barbers!! :o :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:48:40 AM »
Well, BL, I did think I might come out of there bald all over at one point!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:58:09 AM »
Loving the Tesco crocs, Steve :) Have they seen the beach yet?
Really enjoying your "live from" videos - we really are there with you. More please! Except perhaps as there are such sensitive souls on here any naked chef clips should be saved for your own personal viewing :-*
Aahh, Yussuf....what a guy! He cracks me up every single time.
I log on early to get my daily fix and cannot wait for the next installment..... ;D ;D

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »
Yes, K4E, the Tesco Crocs delivered today! Priceless, I would not be without them, now.

I thought of you earlier this morning when Jo peeped in at Mulberry, on our way to the pharmacy. She's fallen in love with this brown bag in the window....

Despite the guys best efforts with his calculator, she did not succomb, but I fear I may get drawn in on the negotiation.......

We now have an adopted dog, as well, which has moved itself around the premises in search of coolness, and is currently asleep on the tiled lounge floor. So we have called him Barney.

It's Sundowner Time and I've found a new one - cranberry juice, a half measure of gin, peach schnapps & cointreau, on ice, of course. Mrs A won't have it she is drinking gin again after more than 30 years!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »
Oh no.....there'll be tears later. Everyone knows gin=tears  :laugh:
If Jo wants a bag from Nuri, next to Moonlight, tell him you are friends with us and he will give you a good price! My orange mulberry from him is so well admired it has it's own twitter account ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:40:08 AM »
A bag with a twitter account?!  ;D ;D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's Holiday - 2013 - Chef comes to tea; but better still, he cooks it!

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2013, 08:54:17 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Antler's Personal Kalkan Sunset - Monday 9th September

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 10:12:14 AM
by antler
recycled
Holiday in late September/early October

Started by elise on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 11:04:36 AM
by Chris18648
xx
Antler Goes on Holiday......

Started by antler on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 11:07:18 PM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal