Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Day Six: Kalkan4Ever Comes to Lunch  (Read 2910 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Day Six: Kalkan4Ever Comes to Lunch
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:16:48 AM »
Day Six started with the blog, followed by boiling some potatoes.
By 8.30am we were in the Market, just down the hill from the villa. We did the usual walk by going in and shopping going out, but we only bought vegetables. Plus some cheese. Nice Cheese Man in his van, above the square of vegetable stalls, had a whole range and I wanted to buy the same as I had bought earlier in the week from Nice Deli Man in Town. He kept cutting off tiny pieces for me to try and eventually I found the right one. I asked him what it was and his response was "Cow". TL10 per kilo.
So, happy with my "cow" purchase - and the best find of all, a huge bunch of really fresh basil - we headed over to Ev for some Menenem for breakfast. Ekrem had a new laptop and was struggling a bit setting it all up. I added him to my Skype contacts, video- called him and he laughed his head off as we had the call over a bowl of Menenem - with a whole, fresh chilli on the side, sent out by Chef for a laugh.
We took the longer, less steep route back to the villa stopping off at Bim. Lovely fresh cucumbers that I had forgot to get earlier and some frozen kofte, to save the trip back down to the butchers. There were 3 types of Kofte, and eventually we had several of the staff trying to translate what each type was. It was quite hilarious and eventually settled for the "normal" variety. Bim was typical Aldi fare and what they did sell was incredibly cheap. 2.5 litres of full fat Coke was about a quid - not your Rola Cola stuff, but the real McCoy.
Back along past Our House (determined fo try....) and jumped into the pool.
I shredded the fresh cucumbers, threw on some salt and left them to drain in a seive, while I gently fried some spring onions with the cubed, cooked potatoes. Whisked 16 eggs and poured onto the onion and potato mixture and left it to cook over the lowest heat, before browning it slightly unde the grill. The huge pan of Spanish Tortilla did look rather good, even if Chef does say it himself. I left it to cool slighty in the oven.
One final task, to put the chicken thigh fillets (my best find in Kalkan!) into a bbq marinade and leave in the fridge.

Just time for a water hammock moment before Mr & Mrs K4E arrived and we headed for the Ottoman Terrace on the third floor, to make the most of the beeze up there in the shade.
We shared stories of our holidays in Kalkan with lunch by the pool, the Spanish Tortilla just slightly warm, with the Cow Cheese, fresh basil & tomaoes.
The sun was heading down towards the hill as we we finished eating and after another quick dip, I snored and dribbled fhe rest of the late afternoon away.
And as the lights came on down in Town, I lit the bbq and cooked the chicken thighs, bright red from their marinade, zapped a handfull of garlic cloves in the Mini Chopper and mixed with the yogurt and cucumber and dinner was done: bbq chicken and tzatziki and chunks of the freshest bread.
The day ended by Skype going off and it was Ekrem from Cafe Ev below, wanting to chat with his new found toy.....
All this talk of food is making me feel hungry, which is probably just as well, as we walk down the hill to Yidiz 2 and then spend the rest of the day in the amazing hands of Zeynep and Captain Osman.
Bring it on. Chef has a day off.

Steve

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9613.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Antler's Day Six: Kalkan4Ever Comes to Lunch
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
K4E.....you are officially famous as you now feature in the title of an Antler post......sounds lovely, have a great holiday both of you

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:41:41 AM »
Sounds absolutely wonderful, I am transported over there.  Hope the boat trip was as good as always. S

Offline tillymint143

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
You must be saving a mint doing all that cooking!! Sounds delish. Especially the spanish tortilla. yum. I love these posts. Something to read at lunchtime stuck here at my desk....  Keep em coming Steve.  :)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »
Really enjoying your blogs Antler and it sounds like you're having another perfect holiday in paradise!  We will be arriving on Monday and are so looking forward to some great weather and wonderful food.  If we see you we'll say hello!

Offline Ryss

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 02:24:30 PM »
utter leisure!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour

Views: 3950
By: irfan
70s night