Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler's Day Nine: Father's Day  (Read 3216 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler's Day Nine: Father's Day
« on: June 18, 2012, 04:25:40 AM »
Father's Day meant I got to choose. With the family around me it didn't really matter what we did but I had decided brunch at Ev, bbq for dinner by the pool.
So, the first card to open was from Jo, our daughter who was unable to come with us this year as she was on a pre-booked holiday to Vegas with friends. With the kids now grown up and with partners, getting everyone together at the same time is more of a challenge.
At 9am the door bell rang and it was the Tour Guy come to take us to Kekova. "Ooops, you are right, wrong day!" and off he went......
It was great to chill out by the pool as our housemates got up, one-by-one, jumping in the pool before rolling down the hill to Cafe Ev at noon.
With the temperature already over 30C, the waiters placed the fans around our table. We all decided we would eat light, saving ourselves for the fillet this evening. That was the plan.
I told the story about the butcher, Yusuf, down by Hunkar, who asked me whilst he was trimming this large piece of fillet, how many kilos I weighed? I wasn't sure how many, or indeed, where this was going, but replied "around 82?"  "
"Too many" he replied, "me only 70-72 kilos".
Although I agreed with his sentiment, and know how fantastic he must be feeling, having got down to that weight myself 7 or 8 years ago, I wasn't sure if I wanted to slap him round the face with his blummin' fillet or burst out laughing. Instead, I told him to "chuck a kilo of Kofte in the bag as well, mate", deciding that his concern must have been lost in translation.
Ekrem was sorting the Cafe Ev caps whilst Oar looked after our food and drinks.
What I like about Ev is its simplicity. Good food served very fresh, honestly and simply.
We chose mainly the Ev Borek (with its filo pastry, reminds me of a Cornish Pasty fit for this hotter climate), Kofte, salads and omlettes. Beth enjoyed some pasta. We went steady on the bread, but couldn't hold back on the hand cut chips. And some Douca Rose which is becoming our firm favourite Rose this year, beating Lal on VFM, hands down.
There we all were, a family team with the Team Hats on (now labelled with our names by Ekrem, presumably, just so we knew who we were?) enjoying a pleasant 2 hours of each other's company, out of the burning sun.
Bex, who doesn't drink much, had decided at the start of lunch on having a Mojito. When it came, it looked perfection, with a strong aroma of the mint and decorated to the hilt. Immediately, a picture of Bex and this large cocktail went on Facebook with comments about the stress she was under in this heat....and the responses started to flow in from a wet UK. Best Friend first off the mark with "at this particular moment, I hate you quite a bit!"
Bex commented that she couldn't taste the Bacardi, which as we pointed out, was the whole point of this refreshing cocktail. Sadly (for her) Oar had overheard her and soon, without her even noticing, he was behind her with the Bacard bottle and ramped up the strength. She squealed she still could'nt taste it, so Oar brought her over a can of Sprite so we didn't have to carry her back up,the hill. Lovely.
So much enjoyment and a delicious meal and drinks (plus caps!) for just over £13 a head.
The rest of the afternoon was in the pool until the iPod moments with the setting sun.
I lit the charcoal at 8.15pm and soon after 9 we had a starter of Kofte from  Nice (Anorexic) Butcher Man, with some tzatziki made earlier in the day and a chilled salad of rice, diced mushrooms and peas (with a good grind of pepper).
The fillet was superb, simple and succulent, and in small rounds of about 6 or 7ozs. By special request, I had made a Cream & Mushroom sauce, just to have a spoonful of sauce by the side.....
The potatoes dauphinoise, which had been out of the oven for over an hour, had lost a lot of their heat, so pleasant to eat with the fillet, on such a hot evening.
There was only one way to end a Father's Day like that, so a couple of hours later, I had a midnight swim in the pool, all to myself, whilst Bieber & Poppy curled up on the sunbeds, stomaches full of fillet, presumably found under a tree.
Steve

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9633.0

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
Re: Antler's Day Nine: Father's Day
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:16 AM »
Sounds like another fab day in Kalkan!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »
perfectos as they say in the other place!! How much is the Douca Rose compared with LAL?

Offline cocobarker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
Antler.... Really enjoying these posts.... Keeping me sane whilst keeping a beady eye on the approaching Drachmageddon...  A months time and we'll be at our place in Kalamar for 3 weeks... Can't wait... We discovered Douro Rose last year,it came highly recommended by the lovely couple who run the Can Can supermarket by the Elixir Hotel...

Keep em coming 

Coco

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
Hi Skunk,

Down at Cafe Ev, the Doruca Rose is TL24 a bottle, and Lal is TL38.

Cheers

Steve

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
As you say then much better value!  Do they have a white for a similar price?  I don't like  spending so much over the odds for wine over there.  Some of the restaurants do a huge mark up don't they?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 09:59:11 PM »
Sounds like you had a perfect Fathers Day...enjoy Kekova :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Father's day

Started by clara 50 on The Everything Else Area!

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 08:27:37 PM
by clara 50
xx
FATHER'S DAY

Started by clara 50 on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 09:29:04 AM
by clara 50
xx
Like Father, Like Son...

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 08:10:32 PM
by pattaya
sad
Antler

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

29 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 11:58:09 PM
by hobbo

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal