Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Another year, another brilliant Kalkan holiday  (Read 5431 times)

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Another year, another brilliant Kalkan holiday
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »
Just back late Friday night from another fab two weeks in Kalkan.  We stayed at the Emir apartments where we stayed last year but in a different apartment this time.  Once again, the complex was beautiful and kept spotlessly clean.  It was a lot quieter this year which was fine by us as it meant we got to use the larger of the two pools which was really busy the same two weeks last year  :)

We flew out with Thomas Cook and were once again thwarted in our mission to arrive in Kalkan during afternoon as we were delayed for 2 hours, exactly the same as we were last year with Jet2.  I think we're destined to arrive after sunset forever, but I would quite like my first glimpse of the bay to be during daylight at some point.  First meal of the holiday was at Foto's which has become a bit of a first night tradition as it's cheap, friendly, chilled out and the Efes comes in frosted glasses which is exactly how your first Efes of the holiday should arrive.

We managed to try a few new places this year but still didn't get to Adam's which has been on our list for the past 4 years, oh well!  Our favourites this year were Sandals (as suggested by Kalkan Regular before we went so thank you!), Fez (as always), Mussaka, Baharat and Zula.  We also visited Cafe Fener for a couple of breakfasts and will be returning next year as it's a lovely, laid back place with the best toast in Kalkan, served with lots of pots of honey and homemade jam.

We also ate at Gourmet Terrace where Glyn had the famous Marble Steak.  As a vegetarian since I was 11, I've never eaten steak but have to admit it did look spectacular!  I don't think he expected the flames to go so high when they lit it so unfortunately the pictures I took just show him looking slightly scared.  We also shared our first ever Kalkan pudding in 4 years here, never usually having room after the huge mains.  We had the Chocolate Avalanche (I think it was called) and oh my word, if it wasn't worth waiting 4 years for!  It was amazing and I only wish we'd gone back again so I could have had one to myself!  I also meant to try the famous Mussaka brownie but when we did eat there none of us (we ate there with 2 friends who overlapped with us for our first three days) could manage it.  Gutted! 

Another new try for us was Kaptan on Kalamar Road where we went for lunch once day.  Really good quesadillas which may not be very Turkish but were nicer than any I've had in Mexican restaurants in the UK :)  I'd really like to go back there for an evening meal or even just a few drinks as we really liked the look of the bar area.  We would have gone back for the jazz night last Saturday but we had a date with the Liverpool match at Yacht Point.  At least we finally broke the curse of watching football abroad as every match we've ever seen (according to Glyn - I don't pay as much attention) while on holiday in 7 years together, Liverpool have lost.  I guess we'll be watching all our matches in Yacht Point when in Kalkan now...

I know a lot of people on here love their chips so have to say that the best chips we've ever had were in Fez.  Proper homemade chips like everyone's Mum used to make - delicious!  Fez is also fab for vegetarians or those who just want a night off from the steaks as they have some really imaginative dishes.  We ate there three times (slightly down on last year's four!) and every time was excellent.  We heard last week's concert in the harbour  from the roof terrace and it sounded fab but unfortunately had finished by the time we got down there.

Many litres of Ayran were consumed by Glyn over the fortnight as he is addicted to it after being introduced to it 2 years ago and, once again, every time he tried to buy a giant bottle of it, the shop assistants would spend 5 minutes trying to explain to him it wasn't milk.

Shop: You know what this is?
Glyn: Yes, it's Ayran.
Shop: It is not milk.
Glyn: I know. It's Ayran.
Shop: Ayran, not milk.
Glyn: I know, it's yoghurt with salt.
Shop: Not milk.
Glyn: Yes, I know.  It's Ayran, I like it.   Yummy.
Shop: You know it is not milk?

etc etc etc

I guess a lot of Brits must come back and complain when they've poured it all over their cereal!

Ayran not being to my taste, I had many lovely mojitos and strawberry daquiris instead at Yacht Point and Kleo  :laugh: Kleo is always our fave place for a drink but we went to Yacht Point a lot more this year too as Can and some of the other Kleo guys have moved on to run it this year and are doing a really good job, the new seating area looks fab.

We visited Patara which was as stunning as ever, and we also made it to Kaputas for the first time.  Definitely worth a half day, but probably not a full day as it's very hot and there are no loos and only a very limited food stall.  The spectacular views distract you somewhat from the 189 steps we counted leading down to the beach!  I've never been before so not sure how busy it usually gets but it was really quiet when we were there last Sunday and there were only really Turkish families there.  It was great for taking photos - every one looks like something from a postcard - but I prefer Patara for the nice breeze!

We also spent a couple of idyllic days at Palm Beach, the first of which was only mildly marred by the loudest woman I've ever encountered who then seemed to stalk us for several days and end up everywhere we went, talking loudly and being rude, obnoxious and generally unpleasant to bar staff and waiters  >:(

The weather was glorious for the most part although we did have a massive thunderstorm the first week. We were on the Sandals restaurant terrace when it started pouring with rain so were ushered down to the indoor restaurant part.  Very cosy, if a little hot due to lack of air con!  The thunder and lightening went on all night and I was in my element watching the forked lightening out at sea from the comfort of Yacht Point, drinking a mojito and wrapped in a pashmina  :laugh:

It definitely wasn't as hot as previous years but I preferred it.  I think we've had exceptionally hot weather for the time of year in the past so were expecting that again but it was much nicer this time and made walking up Cardiac Hill that much more bearable.

We continued our tradition of adopting a few animals for the 2 weeks, including an enormous black cat at the Emir who we named Pepe 2 because he looked like our own enormous black cat back home, if a little less rotund.  I also fell in love with a black and white kitten at Yacht Point with grubby little white paws so if anyone sees him, please give him a cuddle from me!

As always, we started planning next year's trip while we were still there and will definitely be back in September 2012.  I'm newly self-employed (as of today - hence the time to spend hours on Enjoy Kalkan during the work day ;) ) and Glyn has said if I can afford to pay for a 10 day break in May/June, we can go twice next year, hurrah!  An incentive to get working if ever I heard one...

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8641.0

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Another year, another brilliant Kalkan holiday
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
Great report JenJen.   You must have enjoyed the same thunderstorm - we made it to DoyDoy just in time to get a table before the heavens opened.    We debated whether to risk going that far and getting caught.    There was much scurrying around to be observed in restaurants which didn't have cover.    It was all over by the time we had a long meal.

Enjoyed your Ayran story.    I love it too and like a glass each morning in Kalkan before breakfast - preferably watching the sun rise if I can drag myself out of bed in time.    I have lost count of the times I have had to convince someone at the till that I really really do want Ayran and not milk (which I never drink).

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
Fab report Jenjen!!!
Will have to try Fez next year, it's one we've said we'll try but never have and i've already got Sandals on the list so good to see it's got the thumbs up from you!
Nicky.
Nicky

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »
Thanks both!  Yes, they apparently don't think foreigners like Ayran!  I tried a teeny bit this year and quite liked it but I couldn't drink a whole glass of it.  Glyn was feeling a bit iffy a couple of years ago after too much red meat and someone suggested he tried Ayran to aid digestion and he swears by it now!

Nicky - I'm sure you'll love Sandals, we'd never even really thought about it because it's slightly off the main harbour area and you don't really notice it but I'm really glad we went.  I had Summer Tagliatelle which was amazing and Glyn had Mozarella Chicken which was one of his favourite meals.  And Fez is always one of our faves :) 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:26:45 AM »
Great report, Jenjen.
Try Fener for lunch or dinner - the menu is the same (and same good prices) - think I'm addicted to their Saffron Chicken :)
Glad you enjoyed Gourmet - quite possibly our favourite restaurant now.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »
Thanks k4e.  Yes, we will definitely try Fener for dinner next year.  It's got a great menu hasn't it?  And really reasonable, especially for the location :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »
Good luck with your new career :)

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:49:34 AM »
Thanks! I have a Kalkan calendar from Desti on my desk in my home office so that should inspire me to work hard  :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:42:38 AM »
Fab report Jen Jen. Glad you had a lovely holiday. Shame you missed out on the Brownies at Mussaka and Adem's but you can add them to next years list of things to do  :).
I can't wait to try the chocolate Avalanche at Gourmet. Our friends parents are in Kalkan right now (Grr) and they had me write a list of good restaurants etc (it was a long list!!!) and I added Gourmet as it has such good reports. Just need to try it myself  :)

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »
Thanks Lizilu!  You will love Gourmet, especially the Chocolate Avalanche!  I've put a picture on the gallery, taken before we demolished it.  I would have taken one once I'd sliced into it with my fork and all the chocolate loveliness came oozing out but it didn't last long enough...

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
enjoyed your report very much :) sigh............. it's pouring down here but thinking about Kalkan and reading other peoples reports definitely helps  :) as does looking at the calendar ;D
Hope all goes well with the business and that you get back out there as soon as possible. Next July for us so don't think I'll start counting sleeps yet as would only depress me ??? ???

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
Thanks itstime :)   Maybe counting weeks would be less depressing than counting sleeps until your holiday is a little closer!

It's cold and damp here on the Wirral too, it's making a mockery of my Kalkan tan!  We are planning a little Turkish night with our friends who were also in Kalkan recently to cheer us all up.  Efes, pide, Turkish lanterns lit and heating on full blast...

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 09:35:22 AM »
Mmm JenJen, I've just looked at your pic of the Chocolate Avalance, making my mouth water and it's only breakfast time!!! Thanks for posting it, it looks absolutely scrummy and I cannot wait to try it.  ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
Chocolate Avalanche is on my 'to do' list for next week....sorry! >:D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »
Oh Babs you are lucky - and naughty, rubbing it in like that! I've got to wait until next year before I can indulge!  :'(

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »
Oh, I'm so jealous, Babs!  Even for a committed chocoholic like me, it was a massive chocolate hit!  I will definitely be sticking to lighter mains next year in Kalkan to save room for Chocolate Avalanches, Mussaka Brownies and any other lovely looking desserts I can find.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »
Great report cheered me up after feeling a right misery guts since we came home two weeks ago  :'(. We had lovely weather here in Wales last week so I was lucky enough to top up my Kalkan tan drinking a cold Efes out the garden, mind you it's raining now and blowing a gale even had to put the heating on this morning for a while, so needless to say my tan won't last long. I'm so jealous, never want it to rain in Kalkan but have always wanted to see the spectacular thunder storms people rave about but in all the years we've been going never have. Always love a good thunder storm, I think my OH thinks I'm mad, probably right. Anyway glad you had a good time and if you're anything like us you'll want to be back there next year  8).

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »
Great report cheered me up after feeling a right misery guts since we came home two weeks ago  :'(. We had lovely weather here in Wales last week so I was lucky enough to top up my Kalkan tan drinking a cold Efes out the garden, mind you it's raining now and blowing a gale even had to put the heating on this morning for a while, so needless to say my tan won't last long. I'm so jealous, never want it to rain in Kalkan but have always wanted to see the spectacular thunder storms people rave about but in all the years we've been going never have. Always love a good thunder storm, I think my OH thinks I'm mad, probably right. Anyway glad you had a good time and if you're anything like us you'll want to be back there next year  8).

LOL Clara, up here in the Frozen North my heating has been on since August :o :o

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
Lizilu and JenJen, I'll eat as much chocolate as I can in your honour >:D Clara50, I'd love to see a thunderstorm too...just the one....not all the rain that is forecast!
I'll report back!

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
We've had a few thunderstorms, 3 out of our 4 times there.  They're brilliant to watch because there are flashes and forked lightening all over the place, miles out to sea and behind the mountains, all going off at the same time. 

On the subject of chocolate, is anyone else addicted to those little individual Pop Kek cakes they sell everywhere??  I am hooked on the "Gold Brownie" one, surprisingly good!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sorry, no Kalkan Holiday Report this year.....

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 06:24:10 AM
by antler
xx
Three weeks in Kalkan.....not a brilliant start!

Started by wackyjackie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 09:54:36 PM
by AllanChris
xx
Please help with next year's holiday!

Started by dshiels on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 03:36:44 PM
by Charlie
smiley
***Apartment available for holiday rentals all year round.***

Started by mahmut on Accommodation and Hotels

0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2018, 08:43:15 PM
by mahmut

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan at dusk

Views: 2618
By: LancashireLass
Cafe Vita 09