Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Lovely Holiday in Kalkan  (Read 3839 times)

Offline cocobarker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Another Lovely Holiday in Kalkan
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
Back home after 2.5 weeks in paradise..... Mrs Coco and the Cocolettes had a month out in the Villa but sadly I had to work this year and 2 and a half weeks were all I could squeeze off....

Flew out on Weds 31st July from Luton... £15 on the train from Euston... took 22 minutes... the bus to the airport from the station almost took longer!!.. Had checked in on-line so went straight thru' fast bag drop and fast tracked Passport Control.. Was enjoying complimentary drinks in the Junior Jet Club Lounge within 20 minutes of arriving at Luton... Couple of Guiness.... Couple more Guiness... few G+T's and it was soon time to go to the gate... Got to say Monarch do seem to be the best at flying to Dalaman... sat down next to a lovely lady with 2 very small children and she told me I'd drawn the short straw.. not at all.. there was a spare seat 2 rows up which the stewardess offered me... an extra legroom seat with no extra charge.... slept almost all the way...

Arrived at Dalaman bang on time... paid my tenner to get in thru passport control with a cheery "Gule shulez" and watched my bag sit 2 back from the unloading ramp for 10 mins as the carousel was so full of bags... into the cab and off... arrived in Kalamar at 11.50 pm for that 1st Efes.... Mmmmmmmm

Thursday I somehow managed to get roped into an early morning trip to the market with some friends who were staying... Seems to get hotter there every year... then down to the harbour for a boat trip on Sunset II with Ahmed.. so relaxing.... friends swam over for a couple of bottles of Lal over lunch in Mudbath Bay.... Kids had a great time climbing rocks and jumping into sea from a long way up.... Note to self " Day 1 in the sun on a boat ... Step up suntan cream by a factor of 10 to avoid ending up like a crisp"... Few drinks in the harbour... back to villa.. quick shower+shave then off to friends villa above Mahal for sundowners... beautiful villa and amazing sunset... Dinner at Kaya was great and the magic tricks as good as ever...

Friday the rest of the family went to Palm Beach I stayed by the pool and read... sorted out a few bills... had a few beers in Cafe Vita and had a great dinner in the Ivy...

Saturday was another chilled day... Kids went diving at Kalamar... got up late... popped over to see some friends .. few beers and a great bbq at home...

The sailcloth cover on the roof terrace has taken a hammering and is now not so white...Suleyman on the Kalamar road is making new ones for 300L that have clips so they can be removed at the end of the season... he also has great cushions so brought 8 new ones for the outside dining table for the grand sum of 80YTL... cats have destroyed the old ones....  Sunday evening found a great new bar..... Fountain.... run by Nam who was a waiter at Aubergine for a long time.... really great cocktails in a fantastic rooftop setting opposite the IVY restaurant..... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.... Dinner in Cafe Leon.... some legendary 80's music being played.... I've never seen the entire Thriller video, but have done now.... Then onto Mohitos and finally poured myself and my son into a cab back to Kalamar at 3.45am...

Will write more tomorrow..... But Monday morning needless to say had a "slight" hangover..... >:D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11509.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Another Lovely Holiday in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing..a nice read..a couple of people have mentioned Fountain..i will have to sniff this out next year  ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing - love to hear of new places,  can you point us in the direction of The Ivy please? -  we like to try new recommendations - thanks

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
Hi cocobarker is Suleyman's shop just before the Asfiya hotel?  Is  300 lira the cost you were given for the entire roof covering, roughly what size and is this in the tough sailcloth? I have been looking at the clips you refer to but was quoted a lot more to replace mine.  Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions but sounds a great price. Many thanks Charlie

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:09:47 PM »
Great post cocobarker. Fountain had just opened when we were there in June so it was a bit quiet.....we hoped it would pick up and they have a good first season  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:05:11 AM »
The Ivy is on the roof terrace above Cafe DelMar.Its next to The Culture House and a great little place too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:07:38 AM by amber »

Offline cocobarker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:53:04 AM »
Charlie.... Suleymans shop is called Istanbul.... it is close to that hotel and right next door to Johnnys (the old Ibos pancake cafe)... Its called Istanbul.... Suleyman is a lovely guy and nothing is too much trouble....Our roof terrace covering is about 5M x 2M ... he made 2 seperate sailcloth sheets in under a day... the clips and cloth came to 300YTL (under £100 at todays rate (3.0559!!)) .. The clips are great one part bolts to the wooden roof structure and the other is sewn into the actual covering, there are 2 clips at each end so we had 8 in total... simply clips round to lock and unclips to remove at the end of the season... we brought some of those lanterns in the market and had them wired up with electrics too... Electrician charged £35 to wire the 3 of them up... including bulbs!!.. IVY restaurant is on the roof terrace opposit Cafe Del Mar.... Nams cocktails are great and his girlfriend is lovely... Gets busy before and after dinner ... I quite like having a drink up above the harbour bars... always a good breeze... Definitely worth a try.... More on the holiday later..

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »

IVY restaurant is on the roof terrace opposit Cafe Del Mar....

Just to avoid any confusion - the Ivy is the rooftop restaurant above Cafe Del Mar, not opposite.  Now run by Murat who owns the cafe - it's better than ever this year.

Offline Painter Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »
One word of warning; if you are having fabric "sail cloths" or awnings made, pre wash the fabric first because if you don't next season after washing they are not going to fit or cover a smaller areas than when new.
We made that mistake, despite being told that the fabric was pre shrunk and would not shrink, it did and additional strips had to be added to our awnings. Not a major problem but just a nuisance.
One other suggestion have the "sails" made up in sizes that will fit in your washing machine otherwise you will need to find a laundry that can cope with the large items or resort to cleaning them with a pressure washer.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »
Thank you for directions to The Ivy - another one added to the list! :)

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
Excellent tips Painter Man - we will note for future reference, thank you

Offline cocobarker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
Thanks for that Painterman.... had not thought of that but Suleyman did make them slightly larger than neccessary,maybe for that reason....

So Monday morning dawned... head did hurt a bit but a good breakfast and a pot of Ayran seemed to do the trick... Ayran is a very Turkish drink... and delicious although I seem to be the only person in the family to think that... its basically a slightly salty natural yoghurt drink... meant to be very good for you and only 45c a pot in the supermarkets... Dimitri at the Palm Beach Club got me into it...

We spent the day at the Palm Beach.... I think its the best club in Kalkan... lovely staff and great food... great watersports and very good value.. Dimitri is always so pleased to see you and the children love swimming back to the harbour jumping out of the water taxi halfway.. Sunsets from the beachclubs that side of the bay are great too...

Cab back to villa and swim and a shower before we went for dinner at the Ekin Han Hotel on the sharp corner in Kalamar... The slow-cooked lamb is fantastic there... we had a delicious dinner and although not the cheapest(certainly not with 2 bottles of Lal) its a great setting with fabulous views accross Kalamar Bay..

Sleepless night and woke up not feeling great... Stomach cramps and felt dizzy... apparently there had been a bug going round for a while... May well have been "Lal-flu" tho.. took it easy by the pool and chilled under an umbrella... reading a book about 2 Drs who go round the world on a BMW GS.... maybe one day..... Rest of family nipped down the road to see Ali at House Restaurant for a lovely and very good value meal,tho the Mossies had a field day or night!!

Wednesday felt a bit better and popped to Chemist on scooter to pick up some pills I'd been reccommended to take.. they seemed to do the trick.. Ayran definitely helped too... Ertan our pool/villa guardian had found an electrician to fit the lanterns we'd brought in the market the week before up on the roof terrace... After he'd been told in no uncertain terms that we did not want the white cabling he'd arrived with , he returned 10 mins later on his scooter with black wiring instead... did a great jod and rejigged a couple of the switches in the villa at the same time... took him 2.5 hrs and cost just £35!!... In the evening we all went to a birthday party at a friends place in Kalamar... great to catch up with everyone... Wasn't going to drink but Will got me onto "Medicinal Raki" and it must've been the 3rd one that did the trick... Food was absolutely delicious ... I went back to the villa while everyone else piled down to Mohitos and then onto Chocolate...

Somehow they all managed to be up and about for the Market AGAIN on Thursday morning.... I ferried the family there on the scooter .. never quite sure if you will be stopped for riding 3 up (all with helmets tho').. took the back roads just to be safe tho... Had a very good breakfast at Kalkan Parc... more T shirts ,jewellery and shoes purchased... Archie and I went up to Suleymans cafe for lunch... great meatball sandwiches and a couple of beers for 15YTL... the best value anywhere... Ali arrived in his cab at 4pm to take us to Patarra with some friends for Sundowners.. Coolboxes loaded with Efes,Lal and cokes etc we set off... The queue to get in was the longest I'd seen.. It was the end of Ramadan and the start of EID... alot of locals around... Cab fare was 65L and we lugged everything down past the cafe and set up camp... The waves were great fun... in the water there seemed to be no drift down the beach either... Archie brought along his Wadoba ball which was a huge hit... scimming it along the tops of the waves... Efes and Lal were going down a treat .. It always amazes me how many people leave the beach before sunset... Its such a mellow place to watch the sun go down... 8pm we witnessed the most stunning sunset,tho sadly I'd forgotten to charge the camera up... We were picked up from the beach by Ahmed who owns Sofra Restaurant.. He turned up in his Safari Jeep and took us to to his restaurant where 14 of us had delicious trout and chicken kebabs... so much food ...His daughter has won a full scholarship to Istanbul University to read Economics... Thats a fantastic achievement for her and really great news for the whole village, everyone is so proud of her... Hope to get her on our trading desk in Istanbul very shortly to show her the ropes... Arrived back at Villa at 11ish having had a really good evening....

More to come tomorrow

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »
Sounds a superb holiday, we too love Patara for the sunset, never thought to bring a fully loaded cool box - great idea! :)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »
Sounds like you're having a fab time and thanks so much for the info regarding the pergola.  Much appreciated. C

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal