Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: And so it begins ... again  (Read 19802 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: And so it begins ... again
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »
The aqueduct sounds amazing but I just can't work out,where it is......need to seek this out next year!
You must excuse me but I'm just off to pack for sunny Spain........humming "oh this year we're off to sunny Spain"......... :laugh:

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 03:00:21 PM »
Yes the I agree the aqueduct does some amazing LBD, thank you for your fab reports! Enjoy sunny Espanol Babs, you lucky girl!  :D :D

Jayne

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 04:44:55 PM »
I have to be honest, as much as I'm looking forward to Spain a little bit of me wishes we were off to Kalkan!

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2015, 09:40:55 AM »
Dear Reader

Time continues to slip away as we try to do as much as we can in our remaining few days so it's another double bubble this morning

DAY Thirteen - Final Friday - Jobs to do

As with others who own a property here, there is always some maintenance that has to be done over the winter months.  We've been really lucky this year as the rain and winds earlier in the season caused little damage compared to some but there are a few areas that need to be tidied up.  So having woken up to the usual routine we spent the morning sorting out a few things.  Of course I had made a list before we left the UK but we have added a few things to it over the last couple of weeks.

We had been putting off doing this as it would signify that not only was our holiday nearly over but it meant that we wouldn't be back until next year.  Not a happy thought!
But it had to be done so get on with it we did!

List in hand we met up with our wonderful Turkish friend who would be looking after things on our behalf again this winter.  He seemed unfazed by what was needed and promised to keep in touch.  It's an arrangement that is very much based on friendship and trust and it has served us well in the past.   Leaving a property unattended for up to 6 months is quite a worry for us but a huge responsibility for a friend.  We are very lucky to have someone like that.

Then it was back to our place for

Lunch - tick
snooze, read, snooze - tick
Plenty of hydration - tick, tick, tick

Why spend it doing anything else?  This time next week, it will be just a memory. 

We booked Sade for our meal as we missed it out when we were here back in the summer.  Sat on the "romantic" balcony we watched the world go by.  The food was great and the service friendly and attentive.  I've always liked Sade but have sometimes found it a little warm in the summer.  This time the evening temperature meant that it was perfect.  Despite feeling full (as usual!) I opted for the fried ice cream as I've never had it before. It didn't disappoint but it was huge!  Luckily sitting with me on my "romantic" balcony was a man only too happy to help finish it off!

Another wander through the town, a quick browse in the shops, we arrived at the harbour for our usual nightcap.  It had been a long day afterall!

Taxi home - tick
Cup of tea - tick
Sleep - tick

Just two days left to make the most of.  I'm sure we will do our best

LBD x

DAY Fourteen - It's all about the sea

I woke in the night to a really strange noise.  It took a few moments to realise that it was a dog "singing".  It was then joined by others (maybe 4 or 5) but I couldn't see anything only hear them. It was noisy but strangely melodic as they were all in tune with each other.  I've heard the dogs join in with the call to prayer before but this was far too early.  What set them off I don't know but it didn't last long and then all was silent.  It reminded me a little from the scene in 101 Dalmatians where all the dogs communicate to each other.  I did wonder if I was dreaming but someone else mentioned it later in the day so it couldn't have been nighcap induced! Back to bed and before I knew it the sun had risen and another lovely warm day beckoned

Usual routine achieved - tick
Plan for the day - tick

We headed to town to see the Mouse Island swimmers set off.   Musti from Aubergine was taking part again.  He was reckoning on it taking 3 hours to get there.  3 hours?  OH can't imagine swimming for 3 minutes!  You have to admire the swimmers stamina and their insanity but it's all in the name of charity and quite a spectacle.  I'm not sure how many years it has been going but it seems to get bigger each year and gathers more and more support.

We then headed for Patara beach for our own little bit of swimming activity.  I would get OH in the sea whatever the cost

I love Patara for many reasons.  I like the drive down to the beach and we always stop to look at the ruins.  The restorations are in full swing and you can see many changes.  I'm not sure how long it will take to complete the works (years and years I guess) but it is good to see these amazing buildings being protected.  We then ambled along the boardwalk to the beach.  The sun was hot but the breeze cooling.  Despite my advancing years, I always get a little excited when I'm off to the beach.  I have lots of happy beach holiday memories from when I was a child and I loved nothing more than to take my own children to the seaside.  I don't mind a beach in any weather and I can even cope with sandy sandwiches.  OH is not of the same opinion but he will indulge me once a year provided we don't go in high summer and I buy him an ice cream!

The beach was busy but not packed as it is mid season  Our spot picked, we settled own on our sunbeds to take in the atmosphere.  The sea was warm but as usual the breeze was bring in the rolling waves.  Perfect!  I walked along the sand taking it all in.  The families enjoying being together, the couples, a dog going in and out of the water like its life depended upon it.  Such a range of ages, nationalities and cultures. 

We lunched in the cafe (all part of the beach experience).  It did the job and was good value really.  It took until about 3pm before I could convince OH to get up and go in the water.  By this time the waves were quite strong in places but the child in me ventured out further to jump as many of them as I could manage.  It had to be done!  Even OH enjoyed himself as this year he wasn't swept under quite so much.  And, yes, he got is reward - a Cornetto!

We headed back around 5pm having had a great day.  My beach hair meant a serious amount of preparation to be able to go out in the evening but it was worth it.  Another day to savour over the coming winter

Total make over - tick
G&T - tick
Taxi - tick

Nothing much changes in our life!

We ate at Zula for the first time in quite a few years.  It was pretty busy for this time of year.  Perhaps the balalaika musician had encouraged people in like it did us?  The food was really good and, again, very filling.  We have had so many good meals this holiday and tonight didn't disappoint either.  The music was excellent too.  A mixture of traditional songs along with some "Turkish style" versions of recognisable European tunes - a couple by Sting and the theme from the Godfather come to mind.  It was a really good evening and one that we stumbled on rather than planned

Back through the town and down to the harbour where we sat for our nightcap.  Musti was there saying that he had loved his swim and, yes, it had taken just shy of 3 hours.  He reckons we should start training and join him next year.  OH says there are two chances that this will happen. No chance and Slim. However Slim has left town!  Having got him in the sea twice this holiday, I think we should settle for that.

The evening ended the way it started - relaxed and hydrated so the inevitable happened

Taxi home - tick
Cup of tea - tick
z-z-z-z  - tick

Tomorrow is the last real day here so we will need to make the every moment count

LBD x

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:59:59 AM by littlebrowndog »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
Just catching up with your reports, LBD....sounds like you are having a fabulous holiday. Thanks for taking the time to post, really enjoying reading them.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »
Dear Reader

DAY Fifteen - All good things must come to an end, just slowly please!

As this was to be the last "full" day I wanted to make the most of it.  Although we won't leave for Dalaman until around 5.30pm tomorrow there won't be much time for just doing nothing.  The dreaded packing will take so much longer than it did 2 weeks ago.  No matter now I try, nothing ever seems to fit quite as well as it did at the start.  I shall be cursing all those things that I bought with me "just in case" and never used or wore.  I never learn!

I woke early enough to catch the beautiful sunrise.  Despite OH's droning, nothing could spoil the magic of it.  The sky was really pink, it was going to be a hot day and it didn't take long for the heat to burst its way through the curtains and fill the room so I got up to make the most of the day.

The plan was simple

usual routine - tick
lots of lazing around the pool - tick

We sat chatting about all the things we had done, selecting personal favourites.  We've had such a great time that it is really difficult to choose one thing over another as each has been special in its own way.  I guess that's a sign of a truly great holiday.  No matter how many times we come to Kalkan it doesn't disappoint.  Things may change or come and go but the end result is always the same - happiness

The day was certainly hot and it required much hydration and dips in the pool.  We cracked open a bottle at lunchtime and toasted our good fortune.  We usually come with friends but this time its been just the two of us and it has been lovely.  So lovely that I wished I could have shared the time with others whilst at the same time wanting to keep it all to myself.  Hopefully by writing it all down, I've been able to share a little with you and, hopefully, not bored you too rigid!

The afternoon drew to a close and we got ourselves ready for the night ahead  It was the final evening routine and, of course, no change

shower etc  - tick
choose something to wear that still actually fits - tick
G&T - tick
taxi to town - tick

We wandered down towards Gironda stopping frequently to say goodbye to everyone.  Lots of hugs and good wishes for our journey and the promise to return soon. 

Gironda was fairly busy.  We were seated at a table overlooking the bay right on the corner.  In the summer it would be the perfect table but last night it was quite breezy so it actually got a little chilly.  The food was good as ever but the restaurant did seem to lack the usual atmosphere. Very end of season I guess. The waiters were, as ever, friendly and very efficient.  My only complaint was that it was so dark at our table that we had trouble seeing what we were eating.  However, it tasted good and that's all that really matters.  We ate, drank and soaked up the view and then we wandered down towards the harbour, stopping for more goodbyes etc.

OH nipped in for a quick trim and another dousing in Danger before we sat for our last nightcap of the holiday.  It wasn't a late night as we are so relaxed that we just couldn't keep up the pace.  By 11.45 we had called for our taxi and we were on our way home

So it followed

Cup of tea - tick but drunk outside on the balcony to breathe in the Kalkan night air for the last time
Bed and z-z-z- - tick

Tomorrow will come around all too quickly

LBD x

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 10:42:04 AM »
Murphy (or Sod's) Law:

If you leave something out of the case that you've never used previously, this will be the time you need it.

Never,ever fails!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
LBD, your reports have been a tonic these last couple of weeks. Your writing is so descriptive, I felt that I was jumping those waves at Patara with you and I'm really going to miss your lists.  :)

Thank you so much for brightening up my days and I bid you both a safe journey home.  :)

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2015, 01:26:43 PM »
Lizilu thank you!  When I started this I had no idea if anyone was out there to read my early morning ramblings. I love reading the reports from others and it keeps my Kalkan dream alive when I'm at home.  I just thought that I couldn't go on taking if I didn't give back. I'm so glad you enjoyed my reports.

The packing is now done and we are just trying to savour the last of the sunshine although today is more cloudy and humid. I guess we are going at the right time and just before the next bout of rain. Dalaman and all it's glory beckons! 

Tomorrow when I'm home I will post the last instalment and then Kalkan will be packed away until the next time. In the meantime I shall make the most of any reports that are posted from other Kalkanites over the coming  months.  That should get me through  the winter 

LBD x

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
Thanks so much LBD for taking the time to write your reports, have enjoyed everyone of them.  Safe journey home tomorrow :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 05:58:49 AM »
Thanks for keeping Kalkan alive for us...but the question everyone wants an answer to is WHO HAS THE BATON NOW.?

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »
Thank you! Have loved your reports. Hope the journey home wasn't too sad.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
Yes I second that Rosieb, I have thoroughly enjoyed your reports LBD, hope you are back home safely. 

Jayne

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »
Dear Reader

DAY Sixteen - And so it ends ... again

It started as it almost always did over the past 16 days, with the sun through the gap in the curtains.  OH had been really restless all night but now it was time to get up he was firmly asleep.  He's always like this just before we go home as he begins to wind himself up to return to work.  So I left him there, made a cup of tea and savoured that last early morning sun moment for this year.  Bliss!

Usual routine followed - tick
Decision as whether to pack now or leave it to the last minute - tick

Eventually after much thought I decided that after breakfast I would just get it over and done with and then the rest of the day would be mine to enjoy.

So by 11.30 I was by the pool, glass in hand, taking in the last of the rays.  It was sunny but more cloudy than we had become very much used to.  Rain is on the way or so they say. No final swim in the pool for me although I did dip my toes in just long enough to say that I "swam" almost every day!!

We sat over lunch, glass in hand of course, with our friends going through the "hand over" for the winter.  It's good to know that everything will be cared for whilst we are "enjoying" the winter at home.   Then suddenly the time was gone and we had to get ourselves ready to leave

shower etc - tick
pack final things - tick
quick squint around to see what we had forgotten - tick
re-organise suitcase to fit in all the forgotten items - tick
last G&T - tick - well it would be a shame to waste the tonic!
Taxi to airport - tick

We arrived at Dalaman in good time and went through all the usual security procedures.  Tedious but necessary so we smiled sweetly and did as we were asked.  This time OH even remembered to remove his belt as he said that there was little chance after all we have eaten (and drunk) that his trousers would fall down.  Diet starts tomorrow methinks, or maybe next week as I may need all the stamina I can get to see me through the washing, the return to work, normality and, of course, the rain.

The queue for the BA flight was long and very slow.  No-one had been able to book in on line so everyone seemed to be asking for their seats to be reallocated so that they could sit together.  Needless to say we stood in the slower of the two queues and then just as we were next in line the person in front decided to try to argue that their case wasn't 12kg over weight!  Clearly they weren't going to pay so they proceeded to empty it out trying to squeeze things into their hand luggage.  I nearly lost the will to live especially when they tried to convince the check in staff that 3 pomegranates were causing all the trouble!  Seeing that those left in the queue were not happy they opened up another desk otherwise I think we would still be waiting to check in.

The flight was OK but packed with not a spare seat to be found.  Once everyone had been suitably fed and watered, the lights dimmed and everyone snoozed.  We arrived at Gatwick just 30 minutes later than expected.  So far so good.  They we hit passport control.  OMG!

The queues were so very, very long.  We opted for the electronic version as that seemed shorter but that took almost an hour to get through.  There was only one member of staff trying to supervise goodness knows how many people.  I could tell that at that moment she really hated her job.  There seemed to be very few Immigration staff working and only 5 of the 6 electronic machines were in action.  Total chaos.  It made Dalaman look organised that's for sure! There were some very grumpy and very tired people at Gatwick last night.  Eventually we got out luggage and met with my son who had been patiently drinking coffee at McD's whilst wondering if we had been caught at customs for smuggling too many handbags.  We arrived home a little after 2.30am.  OH was not a happy bunny as someone from his office had kindly scheduled a meeting for him first thing in the morning which meant he would have to be up by 6am at the very latest.  His holiday mood seemed to be diminishing by the moment

So this morning it is raining but not cold.  The house has survived in our absence although one or two plants look like they are in need of hydration and we all know how important that it.  So here goes today's list

unpack - tick
washing on - tick
trip to sainsburys - tick
hide the ironing - tick
bottle of wine chilling in the fridge - tick  - after the journey and today's washing I will have earned it, honest!
remember the Kalkan sunshine - tick 

And so it ends ..... until the next time

Thank you for reading my ramblings.  It has been fun to do and I hope I've been able to share a little of what you've been missing.  I also hope someone else takes up the pen as I love hearing about everyone's adventures in my favourite of places.  We are a lucky lot, aren't we.

LBD xx

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »
We certainly are lucky! Thank you again.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing your lovely holiday with us LBD!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
And so it begins!

Started by Blue Lizard on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2017, 03:09:50 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Sleeps counting begins today.

Started by clara 50 on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 06:50:39 PM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

EnjoyKalkan meet

Views: 4304
By: Adrian
Pasha Hotel