Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: And Breathe!  (Read 20281 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: And Breathe!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »
Oh Joycie, I am so happy to read you've arrived! How fabulous, you must feel pretty relieved after yesterday. Have a wonderful holiday, and enjoy your celebrations.  :D :D :D :D

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
Thank you we're sat relaxing after all the turmoil.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 10:39:17 PM »
And breathe........Joycie have an amazing time!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »
Have a fantastic holiday Joycie and glad you managed to sort everything out (including Bri  :) )

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
Well Lizilu you certainly know how to put the mockers on a girl! More of that later. We had a lovely lazy afternoon at Sahane our first day so we decided that nothing and doing were the order of the day and that's exactly what we did. We'd watched the boat go out in the morning and just like a trusty war correspondent we counted them back in in the evening. A couple of them hadn't left the harbour guess there's not do much call at this time of year but the spaces or berths if you want to be technical were soon taken by visiting gullets for the day.
We walked down the road towards Kalkan and on the corner was Asian Gate. I love a curry especially on a Wednesday at the Ash Tree near home where you get two for £12 and that includes a drink each naan bread poppadum etc. Lovely Jubbly.
I digress. Truth be told it didn't look very welcoming nobody in there but last time we'd gone Indian in Kalkan it was lovely.
Sat down ordered two tikka masalas bottle of house red one portion of rice and a naan bread. Couldn't have the naan the oven was broken. What no naan with my curry Sacre Bleu Rodney. Second time today where we couldn't have something because of a broken appliance. Anybody out there with a knowledge of mending chip frie rs and naan ovens would make a fortune in Kalkan at the mo.
I digress just watched a bit of boat rage at the harbour entrance.
Anyway we people watched and I've got to say there were a fare few people walking down into town. There were some lovely dogs frolicking and being made a fuss of and a beautiful white cat hiding under a chair in Bezigrans.
We paid for our meal about £30 including the wine. Nothing to write home about and I don't think we'll bother again.
Returned to Sahane had a lovely brandy for me and whisky for Bri and decided to turn in. This is where Lizilu put the mockers on me.
Not sure how long we had been asleep when an almighty bang awoke me. It was dark and I was struggling to find the light but put my hand on a torch instead.Bri had fell out of bed trying to go to the loo.
Patience Joy count to 10 Brian get up! I can't my backs gone but he wasn't quite right I guessed he was going. Hypo. Panic mode once more set in. Dark thoughts of the time I'd spent on my own waiting at the hospital on my own set in. What if he'd broken something and if he hadn't his neck would soon be in line for snapping by my own fair hands.
I tried to help him stand up and somehow with brute force managed to get him upright. He hadn't broken anything but there was blood running down his face which with a little wet toilet paper I managed to stop.
He'd been to the loo thank goodness so I got him into bed and managed to persuade him to drink some sugary Sprite. It's normally Lucozade at home but of course we hadn't got any here. Where's my handbag it's got the jelly babies in after another trip down stairs I found it next to my side of the bed. Pleaded with him to have a couple of jelly babies and settled him like a baby into his side.
Blow me down within minutes he was snoring. Needless to say I wasn't. I lay for a while listening to him breathe decided he wasn't going to die at least not naturally and lay down and closed my eyes.
This morning he was inspecting his bruises none given by my fair hand but boy did I think about it.
Kan

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
Oh No!! Poor Bri!!

I'm going to keep my big mouth shut now Joycie   ;) Although I'm very glad Bri recovered from his hypo.

I'd blame it on the lack of naan myself, but I'll do my best not to jinx you again ;D  :-*

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 02:32:23 PM »
I'm really pleased that you were able to secure alternative flights and that you have arrived safely joycie. Let's hope that the rest of your holiday is uneventful and that you can enjoy a relaxing time.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 07:25:51 AM »
Joycie thank you for posting, sounds like an eventful start to your holiday, but glad Bri is okay though, and you continue to enjoy your celebrations.  Have to say I did chuckle at Boat rage! never heard that terminology before  ;D ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »
Joycie, please can you promise us that before you order your next meal you check that all the necessary gadgets for making the carbs to accompany your meal are working! If in doubt just continue force feeding Bri with jelly babies!!  :laugh:
Now het on with your lovely holiday and no more dramas please!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »
Oh my goodness ....'he's not going to die, at least not naturally' had me laughing out loud .....  you're so funny!  Poor Bri!  Hope he stays well for the remainder of your stay and you get some kip!

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
Yesterday I decided to try and retrieve my Monarch money one flight coming out this time and two flights next June. It's frustrating when you're away from home with everything you need at hand and although my mobile has internet too the cost sometimes is quite prohibitive. Blow it I'll do it when I get home.
Daisy sent me a message saying that he'd booked new flights for next year because they're coming out to celebrate with us so I thought that I'd get motivated and find our new ones. It's been ages since we came out in June and the Monarch flights were just perfect. Oh well stop moping and get on with it.
The right honourable Thomas Cook ( I remember when they were a posh travel company) came to the rescue again. Trouble is we've booked the Villa from the Sunday and they only fly out on a Saturday around the weekends that we want. For heavens sake Joycie go for it .So I did . Premium economy I know what a laugh how can you have premium economy? Well if a girls turning 70 economy is just not good enough but premium well that's something different totally. I think. Suppose all will be revealed at a later date.
So bullet but flights booked including 26kg luggage wow who knows how many shoes I can get in there I decided that we ought to think about food. Chip less and naan bread less the day before we'd decided to eat in and the cooked chicken shop came in very handy. Bri was despatched to buy a headless chicken and I prepared the salad with jacket potatoes. The potatoes are so lovely with beautiful crispy skins and when Bri returned we opened a bottle of wine and enjoyed our meal.
We were going to go out after dinner but when push comes to shove I just couldn't be bothered. I was comfortable well fed and it was still warm enough to sit outside and have a game of crib. Bri beat me comfortably. Time for bed blood sugar at the right level although he swears it was the night before. Up the wooden hill doesn't sound right somehow up the stone steps hill and a lovely calm night ensued.
Today who knows?

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
Thursday morning market day. Not really bothered with the market now got enough fake t-shirts to keep Bri going for a fair while but a walk up the hill in the sun would do us good.
We set out sun hats on avoided the traffic and steadily walked uphill.
Not so many people about at this time of year but the market was there and we wandered in. It must be the first time that I didn't get to the end. There was simply nothing that I wanted to buy. Wandered into the vegetable portion of the market and got some tomatoes and a lovely peach.  I was fed up by this time and we decided to turn round and perhaps have half a pint at Bezigrans.
As we got to the entrance I saw the Junction over the road. It used be the Kalkan Elite when we first came here and I wondered what all the posh ex guests would think of it now.
Actually it's very nicely done inside and the ordered food mostly breakfasts looked very tempting. There are some lovely goods to purchase and it's well worth a look. We drank our coffee and wandered down the road.
At Bezigrans the usual people were there and a great parcel of toilet rolls occupied a chair. Now I'm sure that the same couple had a great pile the day before so we're they selling them on the black market stockpiling them for a future shortage the mind boggled with all the possibilities. Sad or what when your mind starts contemplating why anybody would want huge amounts of toilet paper. Perhaps if you're reading this and the couple concerned you could put me out of my misery.
We had our Efes wandered into the wine shop two red and one white and then to Carrefour for a tub of ice cream.
Up again back home.
You'll see there's a pattern emerging because we seem to be doing very little. We talk about it and then become so comfortable do nothing at all.
Last night however we had a great night Blue Turtle. The music was fabulous and we rolled home at 11.45. Dirty stop outs.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »
Was that Bri letting off all those fireworks late at night? I tried to video them from across the bay on Facebook Live.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2017, 02:31:02 PM »
There's an engagement or wedding week long apparently just down the road from us back of the beach and I believe they were the culprits. Just had a cavalcade with a band go carousing by. Certainly know how to celebrate.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
Joycie, your allowed to do nothing in Kalkan, and it is surprising how quickly the day can go by just doing nothing, sounds like a perfect day, we only went to the market once this year, we didn't even buy any spices as still have loads from last year left! I agree the mind boggles re the toilet rolls!  ;D ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
Well Joycie, you're certainly getting into the swing of Kalkan life! ;D

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »
I totally agree that there's nothing wrong with 'busy doing nothing's when in Kalkan...........it is the perfect place to unwind and, like a lot of visitors, I usually plan to do a lot but end up just enjoy relaxing.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
Woke up yesterday to another beautiful Kalkan day. Bit different today but I'll save that for my next report. Brian has had a really bad cold and cough since we arrived so the night was interrupted looking for cough mixture downstairs and trips to the loo for a good coughing spree. Morning was a blessing believe me.
Went downstairs prepared the breakfast bacon tomato egg and toast. Always the same Daisie is normally the chef when we share but when we're on our own I become Gordon Ramsay. We also normally bring bacon with us but in all the hullabaloo of our departure on Monday we totally forgot. A large packet of streaky from Carrefour went into the shopping basket. I remember years ago at slimming club they used to say streaky bacon was the best! Well don't believe them.
Anyway breakfasts have been fine. We've contemplated going out but Bri being diabetic and the palaver of taking his needle with us and then trying to do it without looking guilty is just too much. So home breakfasts it is.
Lazed about on the roof terrace and then a seismic sound of Turkish music invaded our ears.
Couldn't work out where it was coming from so Holmes and Watson donned our deer stalkers
and pipes (couldn't do a bit of detecting without a pipe but don't remember it being a bit of plastic hosing in the Sherlock Holmes stories. Still I suppose when I said to Bri go and find me a pipe I ought to have known what to expect.
We slithered down the hill and at the bottom in a Turkish garden a party was ensuing. Very posh they had there own band and a buffet of some kind and all looked to be enjoying themselves.  We were told later that it was an engagement party by the man from Sunset restaurant who we met last year when he was posting flyers through the door and then knocking to make sure that we had got them. Bri opened the door on the third knock and I said Sunset restaurant we met last year. Non plussed he carried on with his end of season sales talk and then told us about the engagement down the hill.
So I digressed again. After finding the source of our welcome to Kalkan music we decided to lunch at Kleo. I was pleased to see the tables and chairs overlooking the beach and Seaport the same. So we plonked ourselves down ordered two Efes As per usual the menu. Mushroom omelette for Bri and cheese and mushroom toasted for me. Perhaps a bowl of chips too. Where was Al when you needed him? A very nice gentleman who didn't speak any English and why should he for heavens sake were in his country and we should at least be able to order our lunch in Turkish or point to the English version on the menu. He didn't have pen and pad to write it down so after a couple of repeated versions of our mime he went away like Basil Fawlty muttering our menu requests. So we thought.
The omelette appeared so did my toastie no chips.
Do we attempt another Turkish mime oh well on this beautiful sunny day overlooking Kalkan beach what else had we to do. Perhaps if we mimed in Turkish instead of English we might have more success. Low and behold he got it and the most delightful bowl of chips appeared along with a sweet chilli sauce. We couldn't eat all of them but they were lovely.
Meandered back to Sahane through the town looking for Black and Gold. It had changed venues since last year. Didn't find it so gave up and went home.
Spent a pleasant afternoon on the terrace. The Turkish engagement party entertained us with their music and then they decided to tour Kalkan. Cars and Turkish flags and a pick up van full of musicians came past and made their way down into town. We didn't follow decided to pick up on the delights when they returned.
So tonight we had decided to eat at the Marina. George Clooney had gone home to change but we were welcomed and seated in a pleasant spot overlooking the boats.
Bri had salmon and I had sea bass. They were both lovely and because of the lack of carbs for Bri we decided to have pudding. The ice cream was lovely and mine had a lovely burnt toffee on the top. Paid our dues and vowed to return for a lunch time fish and chips.
Up the hill by DoyDoy and then I remembered where Black and Gold was. So off there said hello and because Bri and his chest weren't at their best (I'm a poet and I don't know it) we meandered home.
Went to bed Bri had a coughing fit finally settled and went to sleep.
Bleep bleep woke me were we being burgled Bri was snoring so could have been pillaged and he wouldn't have a clue.
Found out this morning we'd had a power cut so relax!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »
Power went off about 11:30 and came back at 2 in the morning, another short one at 10 this morning in Kisla.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2017, 06:16:27 AM »
Loving your reports Joycie, hope Bri is feeling better soon, and you really must try the Marina's fish and chips (if you haven't already) it is fab!  :D :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kekova Trip

Views: 2626
By: Bob & Jayne
Guess where?!