Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: All but a Distant Memory  (Read 5229 times)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
All but a Distant Memory
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
Well, firstly apologies for not posting live from Kalkan, but I didn't feel too guilty as I knew the "king of holiday blogs" AKA Antler was providing you all with a daily tipple of Kalkan!

Only just had a chance to catch up with the forum as we hit the ground running when we got back and only now have I had time to reflect on what was another wonderful 2 weeks in Kalkan.
Arrived quite late in the evening but literally dumped our bags in our hotel room and headed down into the town. I did wonder after booking for the third time if I really should have looked further afield, but as we strolled down towards the harbour I knew I had made the right decision. It just felt right.  :)

It didn't feel quite so right the next morning,however, when I pulled back the curtains and i saw the clouds - and I don't mean white fluffy clouds.  It was grey and miserable and then came the rain…. this was not the Turkey I knew  :(

Fortunately normal service was resumed the next day and the temperatures steadily increased throughout our holiday.

Being just the two of this year it was very relaxing and we literally took each day as it came. We did two beach clubs, Mahal and Kalkan Beach. The main reason for going to Kalkan Beach was to try and see a turtle as a fellow guest had told us that there were a few that had been regularly spotted there. Sat on our beds on the new platform area I was very excited to  see them within the swimming area. We then went out on one of the kayaks and just sat still and waited for them to appear.We were rewarded several times. I know that a lot of you have probably seen them many times, but for me it was a first and was quite magical.   We enjoyed both beach clubs and I would happily go back to both.

We ended up doing 4 boat trips as we just love them. I hadn't booked in advance and a couple that we wanted were fully booked or had private charters, but actually it worked out well as it meant we tried different ones. As usual the food was amazing and we were lucky to have some great company on board. Also for the first time we headed over to Kaputas beach way. There was a bit of a swell which made it interesting, especially when trying to get back on!

I had been determined to visit  Kaputas Beach this time and we made it . We were going to get the bus but as we were going with some friends  we decided to get a taxi . Got there just after 10am which was great as we got a bed right at the front. Not sure if anyone has posted this year about the beach but they now have sun beds, a cafe. loos, changing huts and showers. OH was quite taken aback when he was told "no beer" only soft drinks. The water there is the most amazing colour. Like Patara the sand/shingle reaches a ridiculously high temperature and even with the short distance from our beds to the sea it felt like I had third degree burns on the soles of my feet! I think we left about 2.30 which for us was just about right. Sunbeds were 5tl each as were the umbrella so very cheap at the moment.

Sounds a bit of a cliche but we didn't have one bad meal. If I had to pick my favourite it would be the steak I had in Kosk. How do they cook those fillets?
Enjoyed Sofra, Marina, Fez and Gourmet. Also got to go to the one where you sit in the street, can't remember the name right now but it was packed when we went so there was a good buzzy atmosphere, plus there were singers with instruments going along the street so a fun night.

Have to mention the place opposite Kippa supermarket. Its the one next to Rose. You go upstairs and they do the best pide. You can have any filling you want but the ones on the menu are only 10TL! £2.50 that is just ridiculous. We went as a party of 9 having been on a boat trip we didn't want a full meal so this was ideal.  We had free starters, free fruit for pudding , copious amounts of wine and beer (infact they had to go out and get more wine) and we ended up paying less than £10 a head! The meal was great but what made it so special was the family. They couldn't do enough for us and by the end we were all dancing, family and waiters included. A really memorable night. :)

Got to have an enjoyable hour or so with BarbH at her hotel and also thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday night at The Blue Turtle when we got to chat with and listen to MartynE.  Sorry MartynE we had every intention to go  the next week but simply lost track of days and I suddenly remembered on the Tuesday!

As others have already mentioned Kalkan did seem quieter but there definitely seem to be more people towards the end of our holiday.
This is only our third time so I don't know Kalkan of old, so can't compare, but for me personally I  love it all… the quirky cobbled streets, the beautiful roof top restaurants, the tucked away traditional restaurants, the  harbour area  where you can sit in a cosmopolitan bar overlooking the boats, the people watching and even risking your life when trying to cross the round about up by the taxi rank is all part of my Kalkan. And don't strike me down, or ban me, but even the odd late night/early morning in Mojitos  ( and yes we were the oldest) >:D >:D I love it all and hope I am lucky enough to be able to return.

To all of you about to go out, particularly Bob and Jayne and Lizilu20 I am quite envious that you have it all to look forward to. Have an amazing time all of you .

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12915.0

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
Re: All but a Distant Memory
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:59:46 PM »
Brilliant post suzyq1. We've been visiting for the last 7 years and looking forward to the next 7. Only four and a bit weeks and we'll be back. I really appreciate everyone that takes the time to post as it has the impression of extending our holiday and keeps us fully informed about everything that we enjoy about this truly special place.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
Lovely to hear from you suzyq1 and thanks so much for a fantastic report. Yes we are chomping at the bit (just like you by the sounds of it Keith  :)) for our holiday.
Everything you did sounds right up our street apart from the mojito bit and that's only because I don't have the stamina!!  ;D but you never know so watch this space.  :P
Shame we missed you and I have really fond memories of throwing some shapes with you and Jayne on the akin dance floor (AKA the street)  ;D
Hopefully Jayne and I will get chance to report back to the team - with a little twist maybe this year  ;) ;) :)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:07:27 PM »
Crikey Suzy you certainly made the most of your fortnight. It was lovely to meet you and Paul.

Hope the weather stays warm for you now you are back as you can still pop down to the beach and top up the tan. :laugh: Shame we was not there long enough last week to meet up with you again.

Barb

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:54:22 AM »
Thank you so much for the lovely post Suzyq1, what a treat to read it this morning.  Your holiday sounded full of fun and so glad you had a lovely time.  The restaurant you are talking about is Adana Okabasi we think, with the lovely Rashid and his wife, we too have eaten there on quite a few occasions.  They are lovely people, he runs the fish van at Akbel market on a Sunday.  We will definitely be revisiting there this year too.  No Efes at Kapatus, well I never!!! probably best though with all those stairs to climb on the return journey, glad they have a beach bar this year though with or without alcohol!

We are on count down now definitely, 7 more sleeps, and will be putting a post or two on won't we Lizzilu and Haybo!

Sorry that our paths won't cross this year, but you never know we may well visit you one day in the UK  :D :D :D :D

Jx

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »
Thanks for the post, always good to hear another view of our favourite place in the world.  Not booked to go again yet so it still feels to me that I might never get there again.  I have to wait until after my next holiday (to Canada to celebrate OH big birthday) before booking for next May.  Hopefully will be able to get something flying from Bournemouth.

Look forward to hearing from those of you going out soon.  Something to look forward to sat at my desk at work chopping on my rice cakes.  Umm lovely!

Jo

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »
ahhh suzyq1, our paths never crossed in that short time we were still there when you arrived...never mind! That rainy, cloudy day was the day before we went home and was a real shock to the system.
Jayne is right about Adana - not to be confused with Oz Adana who used to occupy the same position and are now just on the roundabout by the First School.
I think the other place you mention on the street may be either Begonvil or Salonika...? There is another restaurant down there to which has moved from another position but I cant for the life of me remember. We didn't get a chance to eat down there this year but BH and I remarked it's probably one of the nicest streets in Kalkan - although it has a real Greek feel to it. We passed the lovely restaurants on a few occasions on our way to and from Botanik - looks lovely with the lights strung across too.
Funny how the time flies when you're in Kalkan isnt it..?
Thanks for posting on your holiday - lovely to read what you got up to!
Just 325 days for us....sigh
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline janeb

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 02:43:34 PM »
 :) Great post; your holiday sounded fab. Thank you for posting.

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »
Sorry folks only just got back on to reply. Well I guess you only have 3 weeks to go now Keith so the "prize" so to speak is  clearly in sight  :)
Yes, you are right Jayne it was The Adana Okabasi. Have you also met their little girl? She started out really shy but after a short time  she was  dancing with us and was an absolute delight!  As I said, a really lovely evening and at least I now know why one of the chaps there was called The Fisherman as I guess he too is linked to the fish van?

The street restaurant  was Begonvil K4E. I knew it began with B but was too lazy at the time to check. There were also tables the other side of  the street , but apparently that is a different restaurant. .

Lizilu20 - get away with you , It's not stamina you need just a few cocktails and those feet will start tapping. We only went twice and one of those was OH birthday. we'd been to various places through the evening, but as the time went on every where else was emptying out but we weren't ready to call it a night so in we went! Crept back into our hotel at 4am like naughty children! The next night was spent chilling in Botanik telling ourselves that we should know better at our age. In my head I can keep up with the youngsters, but my body was telling me otherwise!
 I'm sure the girls will drag you in one night. As a compromise can I suggest Club Karma next to Mojitos. Don't be put off by the loud music as you go in but they will take you upstairs to a small roof top area (music not so loud) where there are seats, but better still 2large bed type areas where you will all be able to sit/lay and sip your cocktails. They also brought us some lovely fruit.

Anyway it sounds like Bob and Jayne are on their way so we should have some more holiday reports on the way,yippee !
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:04:32 PM by suzyq1 »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 10:24:03 PM »
I'm liking the sound of that club karma suzyq1. I can indulge in lots of cocktails then stagger in the club and collapse on a bed. Sounds like heaven  ;)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 07:20:47 AM »
I would stagger naturally if I did not have my stick and as for the bed, I would have to be left as noway could I get up from there :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: AND that is before I have a drink!

So I will leave all that to the younger forum members or for those who can still hop, skip and jump!!!

:'( :'(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whats your best Kalkan memory?

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 01:31:30 PM
by Baggy

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal