Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Albie's Here  (Read 8300 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Albie's Here
« on: May 11, 2018, 07:26:23 AM »
Our usual early morning start, up at 2:15 and it starts to rain. Get to Gatwick and there's a huge queue to check in bags but it did move quickly, unfortunately by the time we got to departures we had no time for breakfast so it was a quick Mealdeal sandwich. Got lucky on the plane with an empty seat next to us so plenty of space on the Thomas Cook cattle plane. Cruised through arrivals as we were the only flight, even the visa man was pleasant. Things got even better when we were met by the man from Dalaman Cars who instead of the Renault Symbol had a nice Dacia Duster which cruised up the steep climbs. Got to Elmas & unpacked before heading into town to get some provisions & pop to the market for a gozleme, hardly eaten all day, had a lovely banana & honey one.
Back to  the apartment to be met by the ginger cat we'd fed on the last few visits so gave him his tea. After a nice shower it was into town to visit Eddies  for a wet shave and a haircut. I was in the chair for an hours a double wet shave, hair cut, then washed, blow dried, back, arm & head massage, moisturised neck & face, nose & ear hair trimmed, eyebrows trimmed then flamed to burn of bum fluff hairs. How much for all that? 50TL less than £10, I pay nearly that for 10 minutes tidy up at home. Janet was dozing off in her chair, well it was a long day.
We carried on with tradition by having our first meal at Alternatif, Janet had a steak while I went for sea bass cooked in foil which melted in my mouth, another great Kalkan meal. Returned home and fell into bed exhausted, woke up this morning to grey skies and a rumble of thunder. It's now raining so thanks to my Firestick Janet is catching up on Emmerdale until it is safe to go into town and book up Yildiz and other things. Some cracking flashes of lightening going on out there.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13953.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Albie's Here
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »
Lucky for you the weather's too bad for shopping as I'm sure Janet would be putting her legendary skills to good use on a wet day - the old town is usually packed with shoppers when the weather isn't behaving.
Glad you've arrived safe and sound and I'm sure it will be sunny soon. Look forward to hearing more about your stay, Pompeyalbie.
PS Shame you missed out on the play-offs, better luck for next season!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:39:34 AM »
Oh Albie lovely report of your first day. Six weeks today I shall be in a fuss packing and getting ready for three wonderful weeks in our magical place. I hope you and Janet have a fantastic time (how can you not) Looking forward to hearing more if your adventures.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
Oh what a great treat on a Friday afternoon - a holiday report!  Shirl is not putting in much effort but then her partner in crime doesn't show up until tomorrow..then watch out Albie...things are going to liven up in sleepy Kalkan.

I am looking forward to hearing lots more about your stay and Janet's shopping exploits!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:37:10 PM »
Hey Albie
Hope the sun starts to shine as all being well we will be bumping shoulders very soon. Glad your journey was uneventful, we've had a live update from easyjet to say the French air traffic controllers are going on strike tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed for us.  :o

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 04:08:25 PM »
Once the storm died down it started to brighten up albeit a bit blowy. Made our way into town & parked at the harbour. cardiac Hill looking good with block paving and fancy designs on it & the pavements, at least when it's wet you can get some traction on the tyres now. Popped in to se Tumay & Ozay at MissSilver to drop off duty free's and a couple of Pompey bits for Ibrahim. I was informed that Pompey are an Ottoman team twice yesterday so we must be becoming Turkey's second team. The boys have ditched genuine fake watches and are now doing a line of unique personal designed gold jewellery made in their workshop in Fethiye, that was a clue to get someone out of there quick now I am a poor pensioner I can't afford luxuries like that. Next stop was the Yildiz boat to book up for Sunday, weather permitting, 10TL this year but still great value at the price. Lunch at Fener watching the few people around then a stroll up to Goz to sort out my updated eye prescription lens in my old frames. Popped out to Adem's to book for tonight but he has a large partying so will defer that until later in the week. Seeing we were out that way. We did the Italian Job run to Kas to nip in the market. They have resurfaced the whole length and a few extra stopping points with facilities added.. Still a lovely scenic drive, just wish Janet could master using a camera so she could capture the scenery as I drive. Got back & had a dip in the pool before retiring to the roof balcony for a read & a snooze.
Pot luck where we eat tonight, there seems to be a lot of name changes gone on since October.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
10TL for a boat trip...?????? :o

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
Oh o love it when the holiday posts/blogs start popping up! I expect Shirl is too busy relaxing to do one!?  :laugh:
Have a great holiday Allie and Janet!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
Albie sounds like you have done so much in a couple of days, and lovely to read your post! we must have passed on the Kas road because we have been there too today, but didn't do the market, just the Mumi Beach Club which was lovely, and after the thunder and lightening this morning in Kalkan who would have thought it would be 27 degress by lunchtime. Am sure we will bump into you in town too.  :D

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »
Sorry a typo, my iPad was slow in catching up with my slow one fingered typing, it was obviously meant to read 100TL, for 10TL they'll chuck you overboard at Fener.
A quick question, has anyone else had problems accessing Btinternet email on a mobile device? I can get it via the web but not my mail app.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 04:22:39 AM »
Good morning all, awake early this morning as we are off to Dalyan to play in the mud, well I am you won't get Janet getting anywhere near the smelly mud. Have to drive to Calis Beach to pick up the coach so it's set off early and grab some breakfast there with some friends who live there.
We dined with a celebrity last night, well he was sat on the next table to us at Sade, Dom Littlewood is in town so I suspect all the traders of genuine copies will be hiding their goods in case they appear on the telly.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 06:07:53 AM »
Albie have a fab day in Dalyan, love it there, but haven't been in a while, those river cruises are fantastic!  :D :D :D

Offline Kevin Norwich

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 08:23:32 AM »
Good Morning

It’s great to wake up to a whole batch of holiday reports, the season has finally begun!

Two quick questions:

1 Given the exchange rate increase I assume that prices have also increased. For budgeting purposes, what is the price of an Efes in the Moonlight this year?

2 What is the procedure regarding Goz?Do I simply bring a prescription from the UK and he is able to do the rest?

Thanks for your help, enjoy your holidays!

Kevin

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 07:01:08 PM »
Hi Kevin, re Goz, yes that's what I did he is now fitting new lens to my old frames. Bob, re Dalyan, nobody in Kalkan does trios there anymore, I booked before we came out with Carol & Tayfun, got a good deal 2 for 1 so got the trip for 2 of us for £18. Picked up at Calis Beach, coach to Dalyan,boat to mud bath, then back to Dalyan for a nice lunch then down to the turtle beach by boat again. A long day but a good one. We are just chilling tonight as too tired to go in to a town for dinner.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 06:21:43 PM »
Lizilu must've brought the sun out with her as it's been glorious today. Went ou on Yildiz 3 with Adam today, not your usual trip around the bay's, first stop was Kaputas Beach, never been there before and great to see it from the sea side as opposed to the road. The sea wasn't too bad considering it is May but it was a bit bouncy on the return journey much the Janet's concern. While we were there Adam moved the boat up to the Blue Cave so we could have a swim in there, typical the one year I don't bring my camera in the sealed bag as I could've got some great photos. I won't bore you with the rest of the day as we've all been out on the boats so you know how great they are, not many boats going out at the moment but then there aren't many people here yet.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »
Been on so many boat trips but never been to the Blue Cave.......I'm assuming......the sea is even bluer there!  :laugh:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 06:52:27 AM »
It looks like today’s going to be another scorcher too Albie. Love it when that boat turns left to kaputas.  :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 07:51:19 AM »
Yes Babs, a really deep blue but closer to the beach it is all sand underneath, snorkelling in the cave was amazing, loads of fish in there and when you look back into the daylight it's a beautiful sight. First time we've ever bee not no boat that went that way. Off for a bit of history today, never been to Pinara or Sidyma so going to have a look for them.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 08:52:35 AM »
Pinara is wonderful - the last few years we've hired a jeep from Alper and gone up to Pinara.  It's so peaceful.  we have a mooch about then go and sit up in the pine forest and look over the valley.  Its lovely to sit and look over what's left of the amphitheatre and imagine what it used to be like when it was thriving.

You may see some goats and a couple of tortoises while you're there but nothing else!!  If you feel adventurous, you can go back to the bottom of the unmade road up to Pinara - thrun left ( not back to the D400) and climb up over the mountain and head to KayaKoy for lunch at Cinbar...top day out.

Offline Jojo144

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »
 I’m really enjoying reading your chats, we are out 4 weeks today and our last time was 15 years ago!  Good to see there are still good shaves around. Hubby loves them.
What is the exchange rate in Kalkan like ie is it best to bring majority uk sterling & change there?
The weather is looking fab for next few days hope it continues!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal