Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A summary.....  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
A summary.....
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
Last night I got back from 15 days in Kalkan. Remiss of me in some ways not to give reports while I was there, but it wasn't that sort of holiday really. I go to visit friends and relax and de-stress, so I don't do a lot of shopping or eating in restaurants and therefore don't have much to say about many of the things that people seem to want to hear about. However after reading the comments before I went, I thought I would share my view/opinion.
I am a relative newcomer to Kalkan, only been going for 6 years, sometimes once sometimes twice a year.

The people who I think make the place what it is are still wonderfully warm and welcoming, the views are still there and there is still peace and tranquility. In the day time I preferred wandering past the beach cafe and the rock fall to the seats on the grassy area. Shade and beach views but more peaceful than the beach itself and no beach sellers!

I went to a village wedding which was insightful, literally the whole village was there! I also went to an engagement and again it seemed most of the village was there, also interesting to be involved. I picked peppers in a greenhouse - that was warm!!

Patara is as lovely as ever. We wander for what feels like miles on hot sand in 38degrees, but perhaps wasn't, to find a spot away from the crowds. I noticed an inordinate amount of men wandering around naked, this is not necessarily a good idea on may levels!!! The wind got up a bit in the afternoon so we found a tree and made ourselves a little tree cave, well I just watched actually and enjoyed the benefit. Shade and no wind, perfect.

My boat trip of choice was the seemingly controversial Sea Bella, I had read reports that it was too big, packed and a party boat. What I found was, it is big but it by no means was full to capacity, I would say in the region of 20 people various ages and nationalities, so plenty of space to find your perfect spot for the day, lovely day, lovely lunch, unobtrusive but helpful and welcoming crew. The music was that which you might find in a lounge bar, so soft background rather than loud partying. All in all a lovely day , oh and the toilet remained inoffensive for the whole day!!

Kalkan nightlife, as mentioned I didn't go to too many restaurants, but you must try cinar next to where Odak was last year managed by Rami - lovely. Also Celik which is next to the much reported Begonvil, this one is also well worth a visit. Small and intimate with a great view, fabulous staff and an amazing chef cooking delicious food and sometimes coming out to help serve, all for a very reasonable price - free bread and dips, a mushroom and prawn starter for 2, 2 mains and a bottle of wine 80 lira.

Moonlight as entertaining as ever by day or night, Mojito and Chocolate, yes loud but you know what you are going to find, so no surprise. Most noticeable was the number of groups of young (early 20s) around. I don't know if they were there with parents or as a group of friends, but they were all pretty drunk with much falling over, flashes of (very small) knickers or worse bare bottoms from girls bending over in too short skirts. One or two almost drunken brawls but very quickly diffused by staff in both Mojito and Chocolate. None of this spoiled our evenings out I would stay, we certainly managed to stay out until about 4am several nights drinking and dancing. One of the last nights sitting in Moonlight, a young 'lady' was getting a holiday tattoo, suddenly all the boys are paying close attention to this event, which I discover is because she was having on her bottom, she then proceeded to walk up the street with her skirt held up and her bottom on full view while the tattoo dried - classy!

The roads look fine despite all the nay-sayers, parking in the school car park is 5TL a day but there is free parking on the streets. People are sticking to the pedestrianised areas so you can walk around Old Town without dodging scooters which is nice.

I read 6 books and slept a lot. Now I am back with a case full of washing and the joy of work tomorrow wondering when I can go back and how long for next time. It felt like I was there for ages, or had never left, but the end came all to soon.       

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12229.0

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: A summary.....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »
I should also have mentioned the dogs, I didn't think there were as many and certainly not any threatening packs roaming around creating havoc and barking all night!

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
What a great report, thanks for that. Naked men at Patara goodness me  :o  Must have better suncream than we have and the sand gets everywhere, makes my eyes water! Is this actually allowed in a largely Muslim country? Might sound old fashioned but I think it's always better to leave a little or large whichever to the imagination. Oooh just not a good look, even worse than the thong or the even lovlier mankini  8)

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »
Somehow it wouldn't have seemed so bad had they all been fit, toned, handsome etc. however this unfortunately was not the case!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »
Thanks for reporting back, Helshe. The village wedding sounds like it was an experience...is it any wonder the poor grooms work themselves into a frenzy to pay for these events.
Lots of nudity and knicker flashing on your holiday - we missed out ;D ;D
Yes, we're already planning our next trip too - and the cases haven't even been relieved of all their dirty washing :P
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »
Thanks Helshe, really enjoyed reading your summary.

Crikey, you did see some sights didn't you?!!! We saw a few sights for sore eyes at Parara at Easter too  :o ;D Seems to be the norm there. Not sure how the staff at the Pink Beach Club would feel though if everyone doffed off there  :)

Sounds like you had a fab night at the wedding, what a lovely experience.

Hope it's not too long before you're back.  8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
September Summary

Started by Alibobs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2019, 04:30:22 PM
by DRBD

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal