Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 4 go on an adventure - continued  (Read 7342 times)

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
4 go on an adventure - continued
« on: August 04, 2016, 06:56:21 AM »
We had a trip out on Tuesday - without any disasters!

The last time Layla came to Kalkan was five years ago when she was only three years old, so she doesn't remember much at all. She'd never been to the Saklikent Gorge anyway, so we thought it would be an interesting experience. We left Kalkan quite early - about 9:30 - and had an uneventful drive. Mia remembered that we had to stop last time we went to let a tortoise cross the road, so she spent the time on tortoise watch - but they must have all been keeping cool in the shade as none were spotted! We parked the car and walked up to the beginning; we were so early that none of the stalls had opened yet, so that saved some money! I was quite surprised by the amount of security there, but also relieved. Layla was a bit unsure about walking along the walkway, so had to hold hands all the way but she got quite excited when we reached the rest area; she, Mia and Bill clambered down the rocks to begin their walk up the river. I decided that my dodgy leg wouldn't make it, so opted to sit with my feet ankle deep in icy cold water near the cafe! Within minutes, two little heads popped up above the rocks - the girls had decided that it looked a bit scary and wanted to come back and wait with me, so my hour of peace vanished! Two rather luridly coloured slushies kept them happy - and then we had a very surreal experience! A very smartly dressed man (long trousers, shirt and tie) walked past the bench we were sitting at and stepped into the water, but then he kept going until he was waist deep! I was a bit concerned that maybe he was about to throw himself over the rocks into the river, but he just stood there getting soaked and singing for about five minutes before getting out and walking off! The girls could hardly contain their giggles and Bill still doesn't believe us, but I promise it really happened! When Bill got back, it was just after noon so we walked back down to where we had parked the car and went in to the restaurant there for a light lunch. The kids had fun, swinging in hammocks and paddling for a while, then it was time to head back home.

Yesterday was spent in the pool again, but for a change, we actually went out to eat last night! We had heard good things about Wapiano so decided to give it a try. It was excellent! Bill had cheese and bacon borek and Mia had grilled halloumi to start. Mains were chicken sis for Layla, Bodrum kebab for Mia, seafood risotto for me and Bill had a chicken pitcher - complete with flaming fire show! The girls had very brightly coloured cocktails! All VERY delicious! We had arranged with some friends to try to organise a boat trip at the weekend, so wandered down to the harbour to see what could be done; we're out on Sunday on Pina X 1!!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13452.0

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
Re: 4 go on an adventure - continued
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 07:25:33 AM »
Another fab post RosiB. Sounds like your all having a lovely time  :D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:27:47 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »
Forgot to say that the bag I wasn't going to buy this year was bought last night!!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:58:09 AM »
Sounds like a fab day at Sakklikent and how surreal with the bloke wading in fully clothed! That water is icy isn't it!

We've never tried wapiano so it was good to hear your review. Sounds like another one to go on the list.

You'll have a lovely day at sea on pina-x1, we did when we went on there a few years ago. Lovely boat and how nice sharing it with friends.

Can't wait to hear more about the bag. Maybe I'll get chance to take a peek at it next week?

Really enjoying your reports Ros.  :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
Did you have a slushie Rosieb? If so what was in it??  ;D ;D

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »
I didn't, Bans - looked a bit too bright for my liking!!!

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »
Sorry Babs, not Bans - flipping iPad!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
I thought that. It hot have accounted for the "odd sighting"!

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 05:23:24 AM »
We've had a lovely couple of days!

On Thursday afternoon, Bill went out just after lunch to empty the bins, only to return minutes later with two Turkish men in tow. Apparently, they'd just been leaving our friends' apartment when Bill passed; they'd been measuring up for some new sofa covers, which he decided would be a great idea for us as well, so he brought them back to have a look at ours! They measured up, gave us a quote and on Friday we went to Akbel to choose the fabric; by the end of October, we'll have new looking furniture! While I was in the shop, I asked about buying some new sheets and ended up having some made; none of this is very exciting, I know, but it was unlooked for and different.

Friday was a friend's birthday and her husband arranged for a birthday cake to be delivered in the afternoon, so we ended up with cake and fizz by the pool, much to the kids' delight!

Saturday was our wedding anniversary; those of you who know us, will know that Bill NEVER remembers! Well, guess what? He did! That fact alone made the day memorable! We went to the Bistro for dinner - which was great! - and were joined after by the pool with some Prosecco bearing friends, which naturally led to midnight swimming - which the kids loved!

Yesterday was spent on Pina X 1 for a lovely day at sea. No dolphins or turtles spotted, but what a fab day!

Into our last week, now - can I slow time down, please?!!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 05:43:45 AM »
Sounds like a lovely couple of days RosiB, new sofa covers sound very exciting  :D :D. Enjoy the rest of your holiday here, and hope that it goes very slowly for you  :D

J

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »
oh goodness, ito your last week...where has the time gone? Just feels like 5 minutes ago that you were arriving :(
BTW, I'm very excited by new sofa covers...what's not to like about upholstery? Bet you cant wait to see them in October :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 05:42:31 AM »
I think Bill has taken the suggestion of supporting the local community financially to mean that he has to do it personally! AND he's turning into Bagman - he's beaten me this year! So far, he's bought two Mulberry man bags and a new suitcase. I've been blamed for the bags because, apparently, the clutch I "insist" on using in the evenings won't take all the things he has to have with him! This is on top of the new sofa covers, sheets, glasses and market goodies he's bought!

Apart from spending endless hours by the pool, we've not really done much; we went to Patara the other day - once again, the waves were VERY high and it was a bit windy, so we didn't stay long. It was VERY invigorating though.
We spent a lovely evening with some Turkish friends in their home the other night. They had invited to go for a drink and some nibbles on our way into town for dinner; needless to say, they'd done so much food we didn't make it to a restaurant! "Just some meze and desserts," they said!!
Last night we ate at La Terrazza, on the recommendation of a friend; I thought it was very average but the others seemed to enjoy their meals more. We've decided to go back to Wapiano for our last meal on Sunday night.

It's very cloudy over the mountains this morning but hopefully it'll burn off later. My next cup of coffee is calling to me, so that's all for now, folks!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 07:41:22 AM »
RosieB sounds like the perfect holiday and well done Bill on your man bag shopping! Still not done my bag shopping but am working on it! Enjoy the rest of your holiday and Wapiano tomorrow evening.  :)

J&B

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 05:08:34 AM »
Well, here it is - our last Kalkan sunrise for a while. I don't know when we'll be able to come back; might have to wait till next year.

The last few days have been a bit bittersweet, saying goodbye to friends old and new. The girls are actually quite sad to be leaving. Layla said last night that she wishes she could take Kalkan home with her!

We've decided that we've got a new favourite restaurant - Wapiano - so we broke with tradition (after almost 20 years of visits!) and went there instead of going to Alternatif for our final dinner. Bill decided to be brave and had the octopus leg starter, and it was delicious; the girls' faces as he ate it were priceless! Another tradition was broken, too - I didn't have fish! On our way along to the restaurant, we stopped off to let the girls have henna tattoos done. Mia thought it would be funny if I got one, too - which caused uproar on Facebook when she posted the photo, as our daughters at home fell for it and thought it was real! The only person who said well done was a friend the same age as me, who says she's decided to go for it and get a real one!

We had a visit from Lizilu and Automan on Saturday; they're moving into our apartment later today, after I've had a chance to do a clean and pack up. They've started their holiday with a bang, haven't they!

When we went to bed last night, the air conditioning unit in our room was making a horrible rattling noise, so I slept on the sofa - I think it was actually more comfortable than the bed! Don't they make soft mattresses in Turkey???? I've just been into our room and Bill tells me he thumped the unit with a broom handle and it was fine - I still think I had a better night's sleep on the sofa!

Well, one more cup of coffee and then I'd best get started. It's been an interesting holiday in many ways; it was fun to see familiar things through new eyes (Layla's), but equally nice to just relax after a bit of a frantic few months. We've made some lovely new friends, had some great times with old ones and discovered new favourite places. Kalkan is as welcoming and safe as ever - it's such a shame that it's so quiet this year. Hopefully next year will be better. We're celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary next year here in Kalkan; already planning to have a big party, so if you're here on 6th of August 2017, you're welcome to join us!!!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 06:41:09 AM »
RosiB, thank you for your lovely reports, we have thoroughly enjoyed reading them.  You have certainly had a fab holiday, and sounds like you have all had a ball.  Safe journey home, and enjoy your last day in the sunshine.

J&B x

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 06:54:38 AM »
Fabulous reports Rosib. I will miss reading them.

I feel quite guilty that we are moving in as you leave but we are very excited to continue our holiday in your lovely apartment.

See you soon.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
I really can't believe your holiday is over....nor can you, I guess. Thanks for posting and sharing your holiday with us.
What are these men like with their man bags...? BH gets at least one a year now...out of MY bag fund. Cheek!
Safe journey back to Blighty - at least you're coming home to good weather - albeit for 3 days!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »
I will miss your lovely reports! Glad the girls enjoyed it. We are out next year for my 50th. Think we might arrive on 12 aug so if you are still around we should celebrate together!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 06:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the reports rosieb......glad you've had a lovely holiday!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
I keep hearing about Wapiano......where is this restaurant please?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
4 go on an adventure!

Started by RosiB on Holiday Reports and Reviews

24 Replies
Last post August 02, 2016, 01:07:45 PM
by RosiB
xx
Australian adventure

Started by Bob & Jayne on The Everything Else Area!

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2013, 12:31:16 AM
by MartynE
xx
The last adventure of death wish chicken

Started by Korderekid on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 05:52:03 PM
by Skunk
xx
Sea Kayaking at Kekova or Canoe adventure along Xanthos river

Started by Karen on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 10:16:52 PM
by Mrs B

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

capodocia

Views: 3872
By: chinacat
Sunset over Kalkan