Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 13-20 April 2015  (Read 10598 times)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
13-20 April 2015
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:55:31 PM »
Sitting on my own, listening to Leonard Cohen, last bottle of Efes and my e-fag reflecting on another fantastic week in Kalkan.
It's not the same, of course it's not....too much has happened since last summer but, do you know what, we live in a changing world and Kalkan has evolved.
My only advice to you if you haven't been here yet this year is, don't dwell on the fire. Yes, it was terrible but sh1t happens and life goes on. There are new businesses and old ones that will prosper & I wish them all the very best of luck and good fortune.
Good friends have new jobs. Good luck to them too. The businesses they now work for are lucky to have them.
Building work continues....it's hard to believe that some work in progress will be finished by 15/5.....but this is Turkey and I'm sure it will be.
There are still plenty of olive groves.....not as many as there were however many years ago you started coming here,but as foreign visitors to this country who are we to bemoan "progress"....our own inept sham of a government are intent on developing every bit of green belt....but that's another issue.
Met some lovely new people and shared experiences. And made new friends.
I'm only sad I'm leaving in the morning but am lucky to have 2 more trips to look forward this year.
Highlight of this visit: KALKAN!
Ps..sorry I didn't go to any bag shops

pw

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12703.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:29:50 PM by pw »
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: 13-20 April 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »
Shame on you for not frequenting the bag shops PW. How on earth is a girl to know which design is this season's must have!  ;)

Thanks for putting it in perspective and glad you've had a lovely holiday with a couple more to look forward to.  :) 8)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:42:43 AM »
PW. ...you've got in a nutshell, the fire seems to have taken over a lot of others issues re this season.  As I mentioned in one of my out of season updates, things & people do move on here after a while, some go forward, others not but most survive.   Pleased you had a good week, you certainly had the good weather.

I am just looking forward to less building noise, although I have become quite fascinated by the cement pumpers this year & in the various colours , that is progress,  how sad is that  ;)
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »
Tnanks for posting, pw...although I will forgive you for not going into bag shops its only because I know they aren't all open yet :)
We are still looking forward so much to our visit in June, despite the recent sadness, the fire, the inevitable changes and people moving on.
Every year before we arrive in Kalkan BH, after the close season reports on here and KTLN, always states "this year will probably be our last"....and one year it might :( We will make that choice based on our own experience and that alone.

Did you try Coriander, pw?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
Yes, went to Coriander for lunch. I would say its a more up market version of the Ali Baba soup kitchen, which is of course now closed.
Just had salads. And they were just OK, not bad but we've had better. Nice (proper) chips though which we really didn't need!!!
They are currently just on the ground floor but are planning to open an a la carte roof terrace but I'm not sure if that will be this season.

pw

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:38 AM »
The soup kitchen has closed....noooohhhh!! Beyond upset :'( Where will I get my spicy lentil soup this year..?
I thought it was the other Ali Babas that had closed.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
Ali Baba...the one opposite Hunker has closed but reopened as Pasha.  Plenty of places to get spicy lentil, possibly even Pasha.  !!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:17:29 PM by DRBD »

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »
Kalkan has to evolve for the sake of the people who live and work there.Hopefully in a way that doesn't take its charm but I have never been a big fan of Kas always glad to get back to Kalkan and yet the lovely report on Kas gives me a different point of view.
Just love to sit on a balcony late at night with a glass of wine watching the moon coming over the mountain and reflecting how lucky we were to find Kalkan.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »
So both Ali Babas have closed...?
I need a spicy lentil soup watch...oh and chilli eggs for BH ;) Plus where will be open when eveywhere else has closed? We've arrived in Kalkan at 2am and gone for something to eat at the Soup Kitchen before now. That really is the end of an era :(

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »
Thank you for the report.  Really looking forward to my trip now.  25 days to go.  That will pass in no time.

Although I like Kalkan just the way it is, if it does keep evolving there a new things to see and people to meet.  All with the same great views.  Is this what keeps us coming back for more?

J

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
Hi, I don't think Soup Kitchen Ali Babas has closed, just the one opposite Hunkars. 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »
I've just checked the KTLN what's new for 2015 and it says that Musakka are opening above Ali Baba which suggests they haven't gone anywhere  ;D  ;D Phew...!
It does indeed mention Ali Baba opposite Hunkars has become Pasha but as this isn't what's widely known as the Soup Kitchen I can calm down  ::) Always was confusing have two places called Ali Babas.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
Fab report PW, thank you, but no bag  shops!!! just have to leave it to us girls then  :D :D :D

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »
Ali Baba's (soup kitchen) was closed last week, it is usually open when we visit in April. 

Hope we find it open when we are back in July.   

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 04:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the report pw!
Don't worry everyone I am prepared to visit bag shops and report back......obviously only for research purposes.....just doing my duty!  :laugh:

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
Hi, I don't think Soup Kitchen Ali Babas has closed, just the one opposite Hunkars. 

For the avoidance of doubt Ali Babas aka the soup kitchen is not open, in other words, shut, closed and not trading.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2015 Tax Return

Started by Wendy on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 10:36:17 PM
by Wendy
xx
The end of the summer......2015

Started by DRBD on Weather

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 08:46:37 PM
by DRBD
xx
What's new in Kalkan 2015

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 01:37:58 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
40%-50% Off all remaining dates for 2015

Started by alantj on Accommodation Discounts & Special Offers

0 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 01:38:38 PM
by alantj

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal