Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Water Water every where but none to drink  (Read 6200 times)

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Water Water every where but none to drink
« on: June 04, 2011, 07:40:33 AM »
Is it just me or are you getting fed up with the water situation. Does any one know what's going on ???????????????????
I know about the problem they had on the 1st of June but surely that should have been fixed by now.......Sorry if I'm being a grump but no running water is no joke  >:(

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7901.0

Offline MouMou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Water Water every where but none to drink
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »
Tiamaria I too am frustrated, in this sort of weather you need some water for basic hygiene.  I am on day 5 of no water, On Thursday I went to a friends villa for a shower and to wash my hair, but by the time I had walked back, I needed another shower.  I hope there will be a solution to this situation pretty soon.  It does not help when people from different locations in Kalkan boast about watering plants etc., seems like this switch to Kas is going on for a long time, what about us?

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:58:45 AM »
Hi Moumou and Tia Maria, ... whereabouts are you located. Are you in Kisla, because if there is a water situation usually it's there
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline MouMou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »

Kim21
We are in the old town, and we always seem to have low pressure at the best of times, I just want to feel clean again, oh and do some washing, running out of some items :'(

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »
I am back in the UK now, so have running water (thank goodness!), but was getting really fed up with the constant water cuts when we were out here in May.
My impression is that the water supply has become more unreliable in recent years. We have been coming to Kalkan twice a year for 14 years and, back then, water cuts were a rarity (not so for electricity cuts: 3 or 4 a day was the norm then). My guess is that this part (ie water) of Kalkan's infrastructure has not been able to keep pace with the demand caused by all the development over the past few years.
I would hope that the Belediye are aware of this and propose to take some action. It has gone beyond a joke, or an "adventure" now!!!

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 12:49:55 PM »
I've just read the latest update on KTLN and it's not good news. A new pump is needed and apparently on it's way which could take upto a week......I'm disgusted with what I've just read............. I'm very grateful to have the update it's just what KTLN have been told.......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............I'm sure last year they said they was getting a new pump which would do the job of 5 old ones and yet again they are saying the same........Oooo and top the lot if you need water to top up your spare tanks you can purchase it..........Well that's just great if you have a spare water tank
Kalkan was a small village with a basic infrastructure and over the years builders have built and built without thinking or caring about the need to provide water to the properties and now the strain is taking it's toll........

Offline Painter Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
The water shortages are clearly somewhat of a nuisance but if one wanted a level of sevice from the utility provides similar to that obtained in a developed western economy then perhaps Turkey is not the place to relocate to, buy a holiday home or to go to on holiday. Water shortages, and to a lesser degree power cuts, are not a new phenomena but something one accepts as being the downside of living/visiting Kalkan.
Knowing the inevitability of experiencing  both power cuts and water shortages and the fact that the authorities seem incapable of resolving the issues, the onus is perhaps on the individual to make his or her own provisions to overcome the problems eg additional water storage tanks, generators to reduce the effects of the interrupted service.
It is easy to forget that Turkey is a developing country where some areas are less devoloped than others, so if you wish to enjoy the benefits Kalkan has to offer perhaps one  has to accept a little inconvenience from time to time.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »

Exactly Painter Man

Offline MouMou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
Methinks painter man and kevincat have large water storage tanks at their properties, yes we all know that Turkey is a developing country, but when they are encouraging the construction of large sways of properties, together with the influx of the tourists which they receive each year, surely things like the pumps should be serviced and updated during the winter season.  Why has the belediye not got a back up system like Kas, for these such eventualities.  I feel that we have been strung along since 18th May when these cuts started, with various excuses.  Yes I am getting worked up, I live here, but that is irrelevant, this situation is not sitting too well with the tourists either (the ones I have spoken too), who frankly are quite fed up with it.  My storage tank cant fill up when the water is on because a) the pressure is too low and b) it is not on long enough to make any difference.

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »
MouMou you and I must be on the same planet.... or maybe we just brought our propertiy too many years ago to have the pleasure of water tanks large or small........
We have been coming to Turkey for many years and knew all about the electricity and water and what to expect in a developing country......To be honest the water wasn't the biggest problem in the early years, the electricity was, But with all the building that's been done in Kalkan the water supply's not been upgraded to cope with the increasing population of Kalkan. Most properties had septic tanks and nearly all the sewage pipes within these properties are very small and can't take toilet paper, yet we are all now on main sewage. So should every one dig up the floors to lay larger pipes to coincide with the newly laid sewage system.
I think over the past 10 years we have had a few inconveniences, which we have taken in our stride and fully enjoyed the adventures of being in Turkey but now Kalkan should really be getting things sorted so that they don't have the water off for days.
Kalkan wants to attract people here and when they arrive they don't want to be thinking about how many showers they can take before they run out of water....they want to enjoy the villa and Kalkan. They've paid a lot of money for their vacation, they want to have showers flush the toilet, switch on the air con because that's part of the package that they've paid for....... so Please Don't preach to me about not buying a home here.............Oooo and by the way we don't rent our home............. We don't want to change the culture or the way of life here we just want to have a decent water supply in Kalkan........

Offline MouMou

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Tiamaria, could not have put it better myself.  I did not complain when the water was off before the season started when they were laying the pipes on the D400, (10 days, my reserve tank was full) and when they had the road up in front of our house to lay the new electricity cables, even though we had no way of getting out for 2 days due to a 3ft ditch, I told myself it was worth it because it would result in less power cuts and progress was a good thing.  I have now booked a flight back to the UK as I have had enough of this, although I hope the people sitting next to me will not be too offended if I don't smell too sweet. I feel so sorry for people who have saved up for their holiday and have this to contend with.

Offline Sivadmv

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
My god people really don't have a clue how much these water cuts effect people...do something about it you say!

How long can you keep saying it happens every year and you just need to get on with it.

Turkey may be a developing country but Kalkan is supposedly one of the richer resorts so why aren't the council putting the money they earn into good use by sorting out the water pump problems instead of erecting stupid bus shelters?

Reserve tanks, well I suppose it's ok if you have the money and facilities to buy the reserve tank but how about local people who live here and have businesses here. I live in a rented apartment with no facility to add a reserve tank..no room anywhere for one unless the studio apart above me would like one outside there door. I also have a business in Kalkan that relies on water like restaurants, hotels, bars etc...most do have water reserves but because of the constant use of water at these businesses they are having to buy water to continue providing there services...this all adds to other gripes like price increases, bad smells, mosquito's and poor hygiene and all because the local council cannot sort this long running problem out. I think businesses should be compensated for the increased costs and loss of business that this is causing...but that's not going to happen is it!

My frustration with this ongoing problem are also increased as I have a new baby and I want to provide a good clean home and a cool environment in these sweltering hot days...that's hard to do when you are constantly second guessing when the water's going to go off and come on again. If I added up the increased costs I have incurred because of this problem the council should be refunding me for my water use and not charging me.

We were promised a few years ago that this problem would be resolved when the new mayor and party was elected. Well the roads have got better and we have new bins...yipeeee....now how about sorting out something that should have been number one on the list...WATER...you know that thing that we cannot live without.

Let see if they can get this fixed for next year...! Soooo angry.

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
The ongoing water problem is a pain but what I finding really annoying now is we are told NOTHING!  ??? ??? How many days now? 12? & what do we know except for rumours?  ??? I know KTLN is not really responsible to inform us but KTLN do attend meetings of the Belediye and then do report on site? ??? ??? Although this now seems to be delayed ??? :-[  Can I suggest that the mayor is told that if a major disruption in any utility service is expected and then is on gong the customers of this service, us, need updating either through KTLN or notices? It does not matter if not in English we all know enough Turkish people to translate and also it keeps them also informed.

In closing is KTLN a site which can represent us with the mayor or do we have to use other means  ??? With this episode with the water I am not now sure  ??? but whatever as long as we know!!!!!!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 07:07:32 AM »
Wally

This is Turkey not the UK and these things happen - so relax and you will get used to them

When you live here - think Turkish not British and become more pragmatic about things

If you feel so strongly about this , you know where the Mayor is - go and tell him - don't leave it to others !!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:21:34 AM by kevincat99 »

Offline spinal tap

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 08:55:27 AM »
In response to KevinCat.  Think Turkish ... this is not Turkey because most of Turkey has a good water supply, this is a Kalkan problem and always has been. I've been a resident here for 7 years and the problems with water and electricity remains a Kalkan problem.  Many people have complained to the Mayor about this but still nothing happens.  This problem sheds a very bad light on Kalkan as a tourist resort and makes life very difficult for both tourists and residents. Equally not everyone living here can actually have water depots installed because of where they live ie in old part of town. Welcome to Kalkan, overpriced villas and no basic amenities - priceless!

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
Wally

This is Turkey not the UK and these things happen - so relax and you will get used to them

When you live here - think Turkish not British and become more pragmatic about things

If you feel so strongly about this , you know where the Mayor is - go and tell him - don't leave it to others !!

What a holier than thou comment to make! I know where I live and the problem is, not as you have mis read the water being off its not telling people any updates! Before coming here I lived in Egypt for 2.5 years & northern China for the 3 years before that! Even there people were kept informed about utility problems! As for the UK, now that is 3rd world & I don't compare anything to that sinking ship!   

Offline spinal tap

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »
Wally

Totally agree with you

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »
There seem to be numerous residents  foreign & Turkish complaiming re this problem therefore can you not all get together in person & meet with the Mayor.  Alright so some have complained to him before & nothing seems to get done, so is quoted, but as the situation is getting worse then more serious efforts should be made to arrange a meeting & all of you voice your concerns.  Obviously he is aware of the problem but more pressure from a group of people should make some sort of impact.  In the UK you would certainly be on your way to the council offices I am sure with your complaints.  You have certainly made your points on this forum, how about now making them with the Mayor.

We went over a couple of months ago & spoke to someone in the office re our water supply or lack of it, they did take all our details & our water did return (not sure if it was shear luck).

KTLN cannot be expected to voice our concerns, they are for our information, a local newspaper, not our representative to administer complaints on our behalf, although they do, we are sure in some cases.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
From experience, may I suggest that if a number of people together make their grievances known to the Governor of Kas AND to the Mayor of Antalya, that just might get some action?  I know this has worked in past where pressing on the Kalkan baskan has not.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Water Water Anywhere??

Started by kevincat99 on Living In Kalkan

21 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 05:50:03 PM
by timwhit
xx
Water - again!!!

Started by soprano on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 07:13:35 AM
by tiamaria
xx
Water....?

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 01:29:16 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Water is off

Started by Mags on Living In Kalkan

0 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 04:23:25 AM
by Mags

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Ship? I see no ship!

Views: 3940
By: headroom
Trio Meet 08