Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Universal Health Insurance and SGK - Important news for residents  (Read 6047 times)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
There is an update on KTLN and Fethiye News websites re this important subject.More clarification is needed but it may be action is required by some people with residency visas or even all people with residency visas.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8957.0

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Re: Universal Health Insurance and SGK - Important news for residents
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »
We have subscribed to the SGK scheme for over a year now and apart from some initial teething problems with the administration, it works perfectly and provides very good cover.

As a married couple we pay approx £80 per month for full cover, no age limitations, no pre-condition limitations.

I go monthly for an extensive check up at the private Esnaf hospital in Fethiye.  My examination with the consultant, plus all tests costs just 29 lira.  I also only pay 20% of the cost of my medication.

I would absolutely recommend the scheme to any residents living here.

Lantana

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
Thank Lantana thats very reassuring.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »
Yes, thanks Lantana very glad to hear it all works so well  :)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post

Hello Lantana

Is there anywhere to look to see what cover the scheme actually provides for contributers, when cover starts etc etc

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:04:12 AM »
My understanding is that you must, and can only, join the scheme once you have had your residency visa for one year.However a good number of people have had residency visas in the past and let them lapse, but obtained new visas recently.So does it mean one year into your current visa? Guess it does but will try and clarify.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Amber who knows ??

The Land of light website takes the view that anyone with Residency for more than one year irrespective as to when you obtained it should register

http://www.landoflights.net/local-news/uncertainty-for-foreign-residents-as-turkish-health-insurance-deadline-looms-6058.html

If the case is that you only have Residency for up to one year   - would you never have to register for SGK but merely keep taking out one year visas ?? 

Seems illogical that

It is also a little worrying that the British Consulate hasn't published anything yet - but maybe they don't know either - but some clues from them would have been useful  ???

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »
Read a forum at another expat location and when someone enquired at their local office they were told once a residency holder qualified they were automatically included in the scheme as all their details were held - address,residency details etc.They would have to start paying straight away and would be fined for arrears!
More confusion then! Lets hope the British Consulate clarify the situation very soon.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Went to Kas yesterday to register for the scheme

[Amber they do not hold your details - so you do need to visit in person]

They were very helpful and needed to see originals of passport, Ikamet , marriage licence only noterised in Turkish [translated cost 105TL for translation and noterisation  ]   ] and also copies of the all of the same, for them to retain [ both for you and your spouse-if applicable] and your Kimlik numbers

Slight hiccup - the Kimlik number apparently generates an address for you on their system but this was not in the system - so a visit to the Nufus office in Kas was required where they checked the official details and generated a form to take back to the SGK office showing your correct official address[ but ask them for one each for you and your spouse]  The Nifus office also want a copy of both your passports and Ikamet to retain for their records

***Apparently the small form that you are given with your address, if you take it to your Muhtar [its the guy at the otogar in Kalkan he will endorse it and it can be used and will be accepted as proof of Residence if you go for Residency and can replace the Ortumna Izni that the Belediye charge you 250TL for !!!]***

Details of address input by SGK and all done - really easy

Cost each month for an individual 213TL [same for a couple]

Told to go to the Ziyaret Bank in a month - give them your Kimlik number and pay - then take the receipt to the SGK office when you will be issued with your Scheme membership card

But remember  take lots of copies of everything, keep smiling all the time and be patient - everyone is so helpful and always remember it is just as difficult for the Turks as it is for us
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:27:05 PM by kevincat99 »

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »
Thanks for that kc99.

There is another update on this on KTLN.  Well worth a read if it applies to you.     wwwturkishlocalnews.co.uk   

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
I just now received a notice from the US Embassy regarding this subject.  Here is an excerpt about the most relevant points:

"Effective January 1, 2012, the Turkish government implemented a mandatory health insurance law called the Social Insurance and Universal Health Insurance Law (UHI). It applies to foreigners who have resided in Turkey for more than one year as of January 1, 2012. All U.S. Citizen and foreign residents in Turkey have until January 31, 2012 to register at their nearest Social Security Provincial Directorate Office (Sosyal Guvenlik Il Mudurlugu).  Those who fail to register by January 31, 2012 will be fined.

Exactly how this new law applies to U.S. Citizens and the foreign community is difficult to interpret. The English wording of the law can be found here. http://www.sgk.gov.tr/wps/wcm/connect/1513fcb9-6954-42f1-9711-1708b08ff3a0/SOCIAL_INSURANCE_AND_UNIVERSAL_HEALTH_INSURNCE_LAW.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Some of the key provisions of the law are as follows:

1) First, registration appears mandatory:

"[foreigners]... shall be deemed to be universal health insurance holder as of the date they complete one year residence period in Turkey and they shall be registered with a universal health insurance entrance notification to be submitted within month from this date" (Article 61, item c). It also mentions that fines will apply if the entrance notification is not submitted within the one month time frame.  The amount of the fine is not specified.

2) Even if you already have health insurance that covers you in Turkey it appears that you will still be required to enroll.  If you are not Turkish, and you have a Turkish residence permit, and you are "not insurance holders under legislation of a foreign country", you are - by legal definition - a holder of Universal Health Insurance (Article 60, item d) and you are obliged to pay premiums (Article 87, item b).

There are several different interpretations of "not insurance holders under legislation of a foreign country" - specifically with regards to whether private health insurance, or travel insurance qualifies - and therefore exempts you from the UHI law. The phrase “under legislation of a foreign country” implies a national health insurance plan.  In the United States Medicare qualifies as a national health insurance plan but Medicare does not provide coverage outside of the United States. To learn more about Medicare coverage areas please click here. As a result, even if you are enrolled in Medicare in the United States you would still need to enroll in the Turkish UHI by January 31.

3) This law appears to apply to any foreigner residing in Turkey for at least one year, regardless of whether or not they are employed.  There doesn't appear to be any clarification in the English wording. However, the absence of such wording in the definition in the English version (Article 61, item c) seems to imply that the UHI law applies regardless of work status.

The U.S. Embassy in Turkey strongly recommends that U.S. citizens contact their local Social Security Provincial Directorate Office (Sosyal Guvenlik Il Mudurlugu) as soon as possible to get further information and avoid the fine.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »
For British citizens with residency, the British Embassy has posted advice on the situation as it is currently understood on its website  http://ukinturkey.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/

The biggest problem seems to be that the legislation referring to foreigners has been drafted without consultation with any of the embassies here which represent the interests of their foreign nationals.

The Embassy is working to obtain clarification from the appropriate Turkish Ministry and will update its website whenever clarification is given.

Lantana

Offline M n M

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the info K K will try and get it sorted tomorrow.Although not happy about it dont suppose there is much we can do except register and take it from there.
 M & M

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:21:31 AM by Charlie »

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
There is a big pile of SGK letters to foreign residents at the PTT.
I collected mine today but made a mistake of not opening it until I got home.Just need to get it translated now!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »

Amber

Don't bother

There is a translation of the letter on KTLN but what the letter contains has now been superceded

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
SGK - Turkish Universal Health Insurance

Started by kevincat99 on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 04:48:13 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Residents - Private health insurance

Started by amber on Living In Kalkan

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 08:21:09 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Any residents with health insurance advice please

Started by chrissy1 on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 06:13:43 AM
by Cosetta
xx
SGK Health Insurance

Started by kevincat99 on Living In Kalkan

6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 04:02:08 PM
by kevincat99

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan

Views: 3374
By: shining-one
70''''s night at Kleo