Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New Sewage System  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Alabalik

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
New Sewage System
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »
Does anyone have any idea when the new Sewage System will be implemented?  They have spent a lot
on the installation of generators.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1039.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: New Sewage System
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:25:49 AM »
Hi Alabalik - welcome to the forum and just shout if you have any queries on anything..!!

In response to your posting - I may be being dense - but what has generators got to do with sewage - is it to help pump it around - mash it all up or what....I''m curious coz I started the thread on toilet paper and septic tanks and it appears that the pipes used are too narrow to cope with toilet paper and septic tanks are not as we know it but merely toilet tanks...so I''m not sure how the new sewage system will help any of this.... ??? ???

Let''s hope somebody can enlighten us all!!   ;)

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »
Alabalik hi

As far as we are given to understand the system is being installed now, we had the tractors and workmen digging holes infront of our property last year and there is now a manhole and cover where they were digging, but no one has told us if we are connected or not or even if they are for us.

There has been for some considerable time pipes stacked by the market site and we were told that these were the new sewage pipes.  Think they are installing them areas at a time.

Hope this little information helps.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:47:07 PM »
Oh Sh**!
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »
We also have had new sewerage manholes fitted in our road in Kalamar but have no idea as to what , if anything we are supposed to do and when. Who is to connect them and who is expected to pay??
Currently a sewer runs along below the houses in the street above us, which we connect to as it is on our level and then it all runs horizontally along to a sceptic tank.
Does this mean that the higher houses will in the future have to pipe their sewage down past our houses into the new lower level drains??We have some neighbours further along the road and a builder appears to have cut the existing sewer and is connecting to the new one - but he will not now let our neighbours old pipe run across his land!!
We can envisage house owners arriving here in the summer or renting out ,to find they have no sewerage / waste disposal facilities - and will this then mean more noisy [ and potentially smelly ] building work in the season
Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on and why can''t the Belediye let everyone know??

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »
We have been advised that everyone is to go on to mains drainage asap and that this will be good for Kalkan in that it should reduce the number of mosquitos in the area. In the past few months, several of our villas have connected, and our own apartment too. This entails connecting the pipes coming from the properties, by-passing the septic tanks, and connecting to the nearest mains drainage... dont know if that helps?

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »
Hi
Who informed you and how?
Also who pays for this work?

Offline kalkankediler

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »
We heard via the Belediye... and others in Kalkan... Finally I went to the mayor''s office and spoke to several officials there who confirmed it and pointed me in the direction of the people involved in connecting the pipes. The Belediye have taken the responsibility of putting the mains in (maybe not in every place as yet) but each villa/apartment block seems to have to take the responsibility of connecting to the mains... we used the guys suggested by the Belediye.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »
So how do we find out if we have mains drainage near us to connect to....and will then negate the need for toilet paper needing to go into waste bins....??  Presumably not - coz the existing pipes in the villas/apartment leading to the septic tanks and or the new drains will be the same narrow width - which is what I understand the problem is (or could be if they get blocked.... :o)  I would definitely like to know how to find this out..just not sure how to....is there some sort of map/plan - showing where the new drains are...??

Cheers!

Offline Dimetime2

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:39:44 AM »
Hi,

Personally i think the pipes are far to thin for sewage waste. I think the potential for problems is very real through either blockages or fractures due to way they have been laid!

The septic tank for my villa has been going for over a year with one villa rented for up to 8 people and the other villa with permenante resisidents and with not one problem yet - or the need for emptying so far!

As with anything in Kalkan i think this new service will bring its own new problems..........

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »
The problem with underground domestic sewage pipes in Turkey is:-

1) They are too small in diameter at 82mm (3") for most properties they should be 110mm (4") diameter.
2) They are incorrectly laid in that the fall is either too great or too small. The correct fall for an
    undergound drain pipe is usually 1:40, you can get away with slightly less than this. The actual terrain
    of Kalkan probably makes achieving the correct fall a bit of a problem. If the fall is too great then the
    solids tend to get left behind, if it is too shallow then the solids will not move along the pipe.
3) The type of pipes that I have seen laid in the ground are actually for above ground use, and are
    indeed thinner walled than the correct underground pipes. In the UK underground UPVC pipes are
    light brown in colour. I would imagine that its the same in Turkey. Underground pipes cost more than
    above ground ones.

In regard to the ''sewage tanks''. A Septic Tank actually breaks down the effulent by the action of bacteria, they actually digest the sewage. A Cess Pit is exactly that, a pit full of sewage and no bacteria. Most of the properties in Kalkan simply have a holding tank of varying sizes that needs to be emptied on a regular basis. I suspect that some of these tanks are not paricularly well built and probably leak, letting the fluids slowly disipate into the ground, thereby reducing the frequency that you need to empty them at.

I have not seen the new mains drainage currently being installed. But I can imagine that they must be having a major headache laying the pipes as everything will have to fall towards the Old Town and the sea. I assume that at some point they must be pumping to a holding facility (or straight out into the sea?).I do wonder where will the raw sewage will actually end up?

The main problem that you will have when you try to connect your existing Villa drainage to the new sewers will be the actual location of your holding tank in relation to the new sewer pipe and the level it is at. If it is above the the level of the new sewer then you will be OK, but you will need to completely bypass the tank and take the pipe direct to the sewer, if it is below then you have a problem. The only things that you would be able to do will be to possibly relay the drains at a higher level bypassing the tank, or fit your own pumps in the tank to raise the sewage to the higher required level and pump to the new sewer.

I hope that this has helped.

Pete

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 03:17:59 PM »
Some time age I enquired as to how often I needed to empty our septic tank (this was after having the villa for 3 years) and was told that in Kalkan they build the tanks without a bottom allowing everything to gradually seep away. They seemed to think this was a very clever solution, I was just happy the tank is a fairway downhill from our villa.

Regards

Alan   

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »
There seems to be what looks like a water treatment plant along the Kas Road. You can see it from Adem''s Restaurant, in the distance I must add. I''m sure someone told us that that''s where the sewage is going.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:57:39 PM »
Thanks Pete - that is most helpful explanation..I think we will simply stay put for a while..having had our property now for 2 years - OK - not fully occupied - nor the neighbouring property with which we share a tank...not sure if we are living on borrowed time or what as regards emptying/blocking or what goes down the pipes despite notices in the bathrooms....I just don''t like to think of any problem of backing up or full tanks while anybody is there - least of all paying guests...not sure quite what to do... ???

maybe ours is like alan says - bottomless....(excuse the pun!!   ;D ;))

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 02:07:22 PM »
Pete you wouldn''t want the NHBC inspector looking to closely at the falls or the material the pipes are laid on but rest assured they all land at the station down in the harbour from where it is pumped to the treatment plant along the Kas road, there is an emergency generator for when the power is off.

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
I expect the NHBC inspector would love to look at the new pipes, he would get a free week in Kalkan!!!

I think that the only thing left to say is if you are having a Villa built or are buying off plan, then clearly specify that you want 110mm (4") diameter pipes, these will be able to take toilet paper and should not block, if laid correctly. The same applies to the soil pipework above ground it should also be 110mm to each toilet.

Pete

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New e visa system

Started by suzyq1 on Flights and Travel

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 07:58:34 AM
by suzyq1
xx
Automatic Watering System

Started by mark on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 06:09:25 AM
by mark
xx
Multi split aircon system

Started by chickengeorge on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 12:13:00 AM
by chickengeorge
xx
Solar panel water heating system

Started by bodamya on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 02:54:01 PM
by bodamya

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kekova 2006

Views: 3771
By: yoyo
Saklikent Gorge