Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New rules for renting out property  (Read 7047 times)

Offline baclava

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • The Olive Grove
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
New rules for renting out property
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:38:36 AM »
Just seen this article about possible new rules for renting out your holiday home. Makes renting out quite complicated.
Check out the link:
 http://www.yellali.com/news/article/34/new-regulations-for-renting-out-your-turkish-property

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11764.0

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
Re: New rules for renting out property
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:04:47 AM »
Very interesting.  The worst part is the need to register as a business.   Registering as a commercial business costs about 300TL monthly.  However, this seems to be a bit different.  The other is the passport copy.  Since we are not hotels, guests may balk at this requirement.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:07:49 AM »
I'm not sure how reliable the original source can be. There is a big mistake in the 'as is' ( You will be required to pay rental income tax to the Turkish authorities and may not have the option to pay your rental income tax to the UK.) as far as I am aware you have always had to pay rental income tax to the Turkish authorities and never had the option to pay the rental tax to the UK (at least since the double taxation agreement) also why single out the UK? other nationals own and rent out property.
I am sure the authorities will be looking on collecting the tax due, as currently they are missing out, but this proposal looks like a very early draft at best.
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »
I agree with Hobbo re the error outlined in the Yellali article and also with the rest of Hobbo's comment too. I would foresee that it would take a long time to come to fruition and the administration element on their part alone - whether jandarma or belediye wouldn't currently be able to support that level of 'paperwork' - imagine how many passport copies that would be in Kalkan alone...
Let's wait and see what develops. KM

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »
If it does happen, it's probably a good thing.

One of the reasons for the constant infrastructure problems is that the number of "official" tourists in Kalkan ( ie those recorded by hotels, pensions etc) bears no relation to the actual number. Once there is an official record things might improve. Along with the revenue of course :)

For those of us who already pay the correct level of tax it's hardly going to be a problem but for those that don't, and really just play at renting out, I suppose it could be a problem. But there is a business opportunity there...

I'm not sure about the authenticity of this article but it's something that has been talked about amongst the hoteliers in Kalkan for some time. They see it as unfair that people can make money out of tourists without having to go through the same hoops as they do. I can see their point. Basically they want a level playing field... and although I may sound like a Turkey voting for Christmas...actually I'm all for it if you look at the bigger picture.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:16:59 AM by MartynE »

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »
Our Turkish neighbors told me that these new proposals have been talked about recently in all Turkish newspapers, even on TV.  It seems some version of them will become a reality.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »
MartynE, I agree with most of what  you say, However re "Once there is an official record things might improve. Along with the revenue of course "  surely there is no guarantee any additional revenue would make it,s way to Kalakn  as it is my understanding the  letting taxes go to the national coffers not the local council  where the property is registered. I stand to be corrected of course!.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »
Brian, you are probably right about the taxes.

Part of me is just thinking that a bit more regulation in the self-catering market might actually be more an advantage than a disadvantage. Thats's the part of me that hasn't joined the larger, more cynical part (yet) ;)

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
If it does happen, it's probably a good thing.

One of the reasons for the constant infrastructure problems is that the number of "official" tourists in Kalkan ( ie those recorded by hotels, pensions etc) bears no relation to the actual number. Once there is an official record things might improve. Along with the revenue of course :)

For those of us who already pay the correct level of tax it's hardly going to be a problem but for those that don't, and really just play at renting out, I suppose it could be a problem. But there is a business opportunity there...

I'm not sure about the authenticity of this article but it's something that has been talked about amongst the hoteliers in Kalkan for some time. They see it as unfair that people can make money out of tourists without having to go through the same hoops as they do. I can see their point. Basically they want a level playing field... and although I may sound like a Turkey voting for Christmas...actually I'm all for it if you look at the bigger picture.

I agree with your point. I rented two apartments for two weeks last Summer, in Bodrum and Kalkan and business transactions were all in British Pounds. I guess that perhaps they went Turkish tax free. The downside of this practice was experienced in some part of the world with intense second homes available for holiday rentals. In the western Italian Alps, near Sestriere and the French border, there is a big number of second homes available for holidaymakers. The local economy doesn't take any advantage of it. Once the winter season is over, shops close and the area looks abandoned. By contrast, the eastern Italian Alps, near Alta Badia, Brunico, Dolomites and South Tirolo heavily invested in tourism based upon local infrastructures, family hotels, bed & breakfast. This provided a flourished economy and almost full employment for the local community. I recall some parts of Spain look similar too.

Sal

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
I wouldn't assume that they were Turkish tax free. Some of us already pay tax in Turkey & the UK on rental income and employ a Turkish accountant. The local economy in Kalkan benefits from the fact that many holidaymakers are selfcatering, buy food and drink in the supermarkets, eat in restaurants, spend in the shops and use taxis.

Those of us that own property also spend locally on furnishings, repairs, improvements, council tax, management companies, etc.

The local banks and ATM's have increased over 10 years from 1 to about 7 and they are full of locals doing baking whenever I go in to change money to pay the bills.

All Inclusive resorts are the death knell for local economy as they are usually owned by a big company who take the profit and have guests that don't go out and spend locally.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
Hi Kalkan regular,

You say the locals go in to the banks to do their "baking ".........Are they paying in their dough ??

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 09:46:04 AM »
Yes and it is rising well!

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
You must make sure it doesn't get a " soggy bottom "...........getting a little off subject now,me thinks!..................HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Offline Little Missy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
    • Owners Direct
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
Just seen this article about possible new rules for renting out your holiday home. Makes renting out quite complicated.
Check out the link:
 http://www.yellali.com/news/article/34/new-regulations-for-renting-out-your-turkish-property
how interesting, just found this post from 2013, it seems the guy in the Fetiye Times was correct when he said the law had been introduced then and people had not followed it. Certainly the posts on here discuss its merits with some welcoming it, but none it seems mentioned it in their recent posts. The old Grey matter it seems is not what it used to be.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Visa Rules

Started by kevincat99 on Flights and Travel

20 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 10:39:19 PM
by si18665
xx
New rules on rental income

Started by baclava on General Discussion

25 Replies
Last post February 09, 2018, 12:54:28 PM
by caradog
xx
Hiring a Car in Turkey - New Rules

Started by kalkan4eva on Flights and Travel

8 Replies
Last post May 15, 2015, 03:28:38 PM
by DRBD
xx
New DEFRA rules re dogs in/out of UK

Started by Cosetta on Living In Kalkan

8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2012, 06:45:22 AM
by Cosetta

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Daphne''s

Views: 4344
By: misty
Kas