Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: HELP !! Water Bill  (Read 8063 times)

Offline Sheez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
HELP !! Water Bill
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »
I purchased my apartment as a 1year old resale approx 4 years ago.

I have just received the first water bill which has been charged at building rates (sandiye) not domestic.  The Bill is also still in the builders name

Does anyone know the process of
1.  Getting the name changed to me
2.  Getting the rate changed to Domestic
3.  Getting a new bill issued
4.  Is it anything to do with the actual meter?

I am reliant on my managing agent to do this as I am currently in the UK & the deadling for payment is looming next week.

thanks everyone  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6443.0

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: HELP !! Water Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »
 :) This seems to be an all too familiar tale here at the moment
Ideally you should go to the Belediye [Council offices] in Kalkan - take you TAPU which will show when you took ownership and ideally someone who can speak Turkish
There are forms to fill in and a cost to transfer the meters into your name
Whether the Belediye will recalculate the bill as domestic will be up to them or they may insist on full payment at the builders rates - its a situation which is difficult to argue if you want water. There will probably also be a fine for non payment and interest charged for the period unpaid.
You should check the meter to ensure it is working as that is your responsibility [turn some water on - watch the little indicator spin round and watch the numbers change - then it would appear to be OK]
Take a reading an make sure that that is the one in the Belediye's records as future start point.
But didn't it strike you a strange that as you have had this place fours years and not received a water bill - you might have wondered why

Is it the same position with the electric and the property tax as well - you should check to get all the nasty surprises out of the way once and  for all

Good luck - sure other people would love to know how it all ends   :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:30:47 AM by kevincat99 »

Offline Sheez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
thanks Kevin

Yes I did & I've been consistently asking for them via my managing agent

Thanks & I'll be following up with the others

Offline Cheesecake

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 04:38:49 AM »
Hi sheez
 It'd be interseting to know who your managing agent is and have you been using them for all the 4 yours you've owned your apartment?
 Did you ever ask them about your water bill over the 4 years?
Good luck

Offline Sheez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:39:10 AM »
Hi Cheesecake

Not appropriate to name agent on open forum.

However,  yes been using the same one throughout & yes regularly asking for water bill.
Will let you all know the outcome.

thanks

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:14:46 AM »
Suggestion:  your managing agent is not doing his job.  Change him / her.   Making sure the bills arrive and are paid is part of property mgmt.

Kevincat is right.  Most likely you will have to pay the current bill and all fines and interest, then have it changed to your name.  Seems you have to be here or someone has to have a POA from you.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline bassett

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »
we have been paying builders rates for ten years now! for the last 7/8 years the bill has been in our name. we were assured that paying builders rate we did not have to pay council tax but this year we had  a ten year bill with fines!. our water bill is more than villas with pools. our builder is dead, the architect has left town and we would love to know how to get out of this situation. ? ::)

Offline Sheez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
OMG !!  Hire a lawyer?  (not one in Kalkan from all the advice on the 'how to buy threads'

I'm told that you should get a plumber to change the meter - take the meter number & reading to the Belediye with your Tapu/ID doc (passport) & get it registered.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will say.

I think I will invest in the Water Company - they are obv making HUGE profits ::)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
The problem seems to be that over the years the Belediye who administer the water appear to have been somewhat dilatory in collecting both from domestic and business users for whatever reasons
They seem to work on the assumption that when they do collect they can levy large fines and interest charges, so they will make money
But the main problem seems to be that owners do not ensure that they / or their property management companies actually pay their bills on time and ensure that what they are paying for is correct and that they always obtain a receipt, which the Belediye always provide
It's strange but some people herein Kalkan think that it is a bit of a joke that they have not paid water bills or property tax - but by the looks of it their time is rapidly running out and some very large costs will be coming their way as the Belediye gets it's act together

Offline Cheesecake

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:26:57 AM »
Surely this is totally unfair on the property owners and there should be some kind of recourse if you have trusted your agent to pay your bills and they haven't. Plus why should the belidye be allowed to charge fines when it's them that haven't collected the money! why should an owner be penalised because they haven't done their job properly
 this seems bang out of order to me

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
Cheesecake - because that is how it is here
It is the owners responsibility to check these things out

Offline Sheez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: HELP !! Water Bill - RESOLVED
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
So.... the update as promised.

I've just returned from a visit to Kalkan where I took the opportunity to sort this out.

I came to an agreement with the builder/maintenance company to pay him for the water used @ domestic rates & he will be paying the balance + any fines/interest.

The forms have been completed & signed & now with the belediyse for transfer into my name (I'm waiting for confirmation that this has happened).

Hoping this is the last of it - just waiting for the council tax to hit !!!

thanks everyone for the info, views & support  ;)

& if you haven't sorted your water bill out yet - go do it IMMEDIATELY

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
The council tax even for 4 years with fines won't be too bad. Go into the Belydie with your tapu (going in the side entrance near the outdoor gym and it's the first door on the left) and they will set up your account which can take a couple of days and then you can clear your bill. We pay at the end of April each year, taking the previous years bill, and it only takes a few minutes, unless you go on a market day.

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
We have had an apartment for six years now and have had the same problems with paying our bills. Like most owners we are totally reliant upon our agents. It's not always their fault, Our apartment block has four apartments, so four water meters, then one for the pool and outside water taps. When they get read what happens to the readouts? Do you have a letter box? Probably not. So is it simply stuffed behind the meter? The same applies to the electric meters. When you go to pay the water and council tax it's the same man you see. He doesn't speak a word of english so it is essential that you take someone with you who can translate for you. He is not the most helpful of people. You would think that given the number of english owners now in Kalkan that a person who speaks english would be provided. There are a number of meetings being held to discuss touristy things like excessivley loud music noise at night from some restaurants, dog barking ruining peoples sleep, pedestrianisation of the old town etc. Could someone who lives there permanently please raise this on our behalf?

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
Sorry Dellbarr but I disagree with you. Why should the belidiye provide an english speaking person? I'm also an apartment owner, non-resident, but it was my choice to buy in Turkey, if I don't understand something I ask around and although I only speak a few basic Turkish words, I do not expect all Turkish people to speak English (although many do). If you buy abroad then surely the onus is on you to learn the language and customs of the country where you purchase.
Incidentally if you haven't received a water bill just go to the beldiye with your meter number and the man will check if you owe any money. I'm sure you could probably do the same with the electric.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 09:26:52 PM »
Dellbarr what exactly is it that you expect the residents to do??

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »
Hi Littlelin,I speak from experience. My english agent who is fairly fruent in Turkish has gone in on a number of times and asked for a bill only to be told that there is nothing to pay. Then we get a bill for a large amount! When it is queried he refuses to discuss it and simply says "Come back with someone who speaks Turkish better". So when I arrived I went back with a local who speaks very good English and it transpired that he didn't know what had happened. It's not the first time this has happened. He finished the conversation with the words " and by the way no council tax has been paid for the last three years!" Never a word had been said to my agent who had frequently asked if anything was owing. I've had no trouble with paying the electric although I was a bit suprised to see a large , no, a very large pile of meters in the corner of the office. It seems that the locals don't like paying for electricity and all those meters had been doctored in some way in an attempt to get their bills down! So perhaps we are being judged by what seems to be normal practice. May I answer Kevincat 99. The non residents are usually not there when these meetings are held and so don't get a chance to express their views. Could someone please speak on my behalf and try and get an English speaking person in the offices somewhere who could be summoned in the event of translation difficulties.

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 04:38:09 PM »
If you go up the stairs in the Belidiye building, there is a guy who works up there, who speaks excellent English and if he's not too busy, is always very helpful. Also the guy behind the desk who takes your money for the coucil and water bills, if you try to say hello to him in Turkish, he too is also helpful, it's when you go in there and don't try to speak a little Turkish, he seem's to be "difficult" I'm not getting at you and yes in the past we've had problems with our water bills. it's always been easier to take a Turkish friend in with us to translate. I speak a little Turkish but not enough to explain any problems etc. Also the Belidye do not have the money to provide a specific person to translate to foreigner's, so really it's up to us to do our best to take some one with us or learn the language.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

exclamation
Water Bill Charges

Started by Martin on Living In Kalkan

14 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 01:34:22 PM
by Cosetta
xx
holiday bill is in and . . .

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 09:11:05 PM
by MightyAphrodite
xx
Blackberry bill

Started by kalkan4eva on Money & Finance

11 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 10:15:43 AM
by katieh
xx
Electricity Bill Payment

Started by lucasvdb on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 11:06:55 AM
by lucasvdb

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Red dog

Views: 3039
By: saskia
Views of Kalkan