Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: CARD KEY FOR ELECTRICITY CUT OUT  (Read 10810 times)

Offline Kalamar Bay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
CARD KEY FOR ELECTRICITY CUT OUT
« on: November 13, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »

Good morning all.

I think this may have been spoken about elsewhere on the forum but would like to bring up again and hopefully get some advise / cost.

I will be returning to Kalkan for a few days in December with the aim of checking over a few things, one being installing a card key system that shuts off all air-con units and lighting when closing / leaving the front door, although leaving the fridge-freezer still working. I have been told this is a quite simple operation and am hoping it will reduce electricity bills substantially. Is anyone aware of this system, how long it takes to install and approx cost.

Thanks in advance

Neil

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=880.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
Re: CARD KEY FOR ELECTRICITY CUT OUT
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:13:12 PM »
Mmm interesting...but I don''t think that Im personally in favour of such a scheme - have you considered how your guests would view it?? Certainly if I were a guest - I would be most peeved at that sort of thing happening when I close the front door - making it tempting to leave a front door open.... :-X  What about - if your guests were using the washing machine/dishwasher - or charging their phone etc etc. Also - what about electricity pumps for the swimming pool and also water pumps for the water (when there are cuts??)

I think for the potential irritation factor versus the cost saving I think that the type of visitors that we get to Kalkan would not appreciate being treated like that.  In fact - I tell my guests in the height of summer to go out for the evening having left the a/c on to cool the place down for the night when they return - I think that is all part of the service and the fees that they pay accordingly - higher in high season - lower in low season.  I don''t know of any villas that have this system but would be interested in other people''s views.....

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline kal1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »
We previously had also thought about this key card system, (to cut down on the air-con bills) but came to the same conclusions which felicity has mentioned, ie: what happens when power cuts, domestic applicances etc. We decided not to install a system. We just put a note in the house book not to leave air con on whilst out as it only takes a short while to cool the rooms when they arrive back.

Offline Kalamar Bay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:41:42 PM »
Hi Felicity / Kal1

I believe that the system is much the same as operated by many hotels around the world when you leave the room, and is simply a more cost effective way of managing resources and is certainly greener and more environmentally friendly than having everything working when not necessary.

It takes very little time for the air-con units to reduce the temperature to the required level once back in the villa.

The system i think is selective as to what is deactivated at the time of leaving. So washing machine/dishwasher and other white goods would not be affected.

Regards

Neil

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »
I know of people who fitted the system this year. They arranged it with the help of Omar of Omar''s Kitchen. I don''t know if Omar will be in Kalkan in December.

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:01:59 PM »
Hi
I would like to know more about this, as I agree that it would save costs and be more environmentally friendly. If anyone knows the costs and what is involved, please help!
Many thanks
Em
Em

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:53:41 PM »
We have this system in our apartment. It was already installed when we bought the apartment and we have had no problems and like the fact that it stops wasteful use of electricity.The fridge and some lights/sockets are not linked and as someone else has stated, it can be designed to suit individual needs.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:37 PM »
Benli electric and pool shop, a little higher than Yali supermarket (on the same side) will fit it for you, it is a quick and easy job, fridges and lights can be left out of the loop ensuring that guests have lighting when they come home in the dark. The air con. will quckly cool a room down and certainly does not need to be left on constantly. Benli will also fit timers for your pool pump, it does not need to be left on 24 hours a day. The cost for the electricity cut off I think cost us around £50 (possibly less) but certainly well worth it. Just one other little tip worth mentioning, solder the key ring so the fob cannot be taken off and left in the slot. The key fob is quite large but this helps to prevent the keys to your pride and joy being lost, it also ensures that guests know exactly where the keys are whenever they are in the house . . . . they are in the slot.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 11:48:44 PM »
I would quite like such a system just for the simplicity of being able to walk out the door without having to go around the house turning everything off. 

Also given that there is insufficent power capacity in this part of Turkey to meet the summer load, anything that reduces electricity use in Kalkan has to be good, might even avoid some of the power cuts -Felicity, shame on you for even suggesting that the air conditioners be left on all day.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Hi Alantj - that was not what I said - in fact my notes to my guests ask them specifically NOT to use the A/C units during the day as it is unnecessary - leaving the windows open during the day is sufficient to cool the villa down.  Added to which I am conscious of cost, environmental impact and adding to the drain on the electrical resources in summer.  I do however suggest the bedroom a/c units are left on in the evening so that when guests return from a meal out - the bedroom is nice and cool making their sleep more comfortable.

However - all that said - if headroom is saying that all it cost was £50 then maybe I should take a trip to Benli....!!!  Our pool pump is already on a timer and as long as that and the water pump can be left out of the loop and the white goods as mentioned below - then that does seem to good to be true....  As Headroom also points out - I have been places where the keys and card are separable - so a good tip to solder each together otherwise the object of the exercise will be defeated if people simply separate the card out and leave that plugged in all the time..!!

Cheers - I will investigate next time I am back in Turkey!! 

Offline kal1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 11:42:15 AM »
Hi Kalamar bay
Glad you bought this subject up, I will be looking into it again, with this new information, thanks
PS - It seems my info wasnt helpful at all, so sorry about that!

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »
Hi All,
We had this system installed last year. Cost 100 lira. And yes, you can use it to control, or leave out what you like. So fridge, freezer washing machine can be left on. We had it installed by the lighting shop behind the market site.

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 07:59:46 AM »
Best chap I know in Kalkan for electrical work is Hüseyin at Hüseyin Electrik ; he would install this system, or carry out any other electrical installations.
He gives you an honest price, uses good quality parts and materials, and does a workmanlike job.

His mobile number is 0542 244 1537.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »
Vicksen

Has this chap got a shop if so where is it located or does he work from home?
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
DRBD, Hüseyin has no shop, since he''s out practically all the time doing electrical works.
But he always has his mobile with him.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 06:27:55 PM »
Thanks for that, have noted his mobile number.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »
Does he speak English?

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »
Headroom, Hüseyin has enough English to get by - you should manage to make yourself understood okay.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 10:00:11 PM »
Vicksen,I have a little Turkish and a lot of sign language  - - - which is difficult to convey via the phone. I did not need to be told I should make myself understood - - - -I am intelligent enough to know this for myself, but thank you anyway, I am a little reticent to say that I have found your replies to several posts unnecessarily curt, and surely in a (claimed/supposed) friendly forum environment, we should accept sometimes questions may seem a little silly, but do they really warrant such responses?

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:26 AM »
I took Vicksens reply as meaning you should have no problem making yourself understood and certainly not suggesting you would not be clever enough to do so!

I like Vicksen''s posts in general and whilst the forum is a friendly environment there''s no harm in speaking your mind.  From time to time there are "daft" questions asked (yours NOT being one of them) and I''m amazed at how restrained we all are with our polite and helpful responses.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Electricity bills.

Started by baclava on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post May 24, 2019, 06:28:58 PM
by baclava
question
Electricity Transfer

Started by susiea on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 01:13:25 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Electricity Bills

Started by alantj on Living In Kalkan

15 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 09:35:09 PM
by tiamaria
xx
Electricity Bills

Started by kevincat99 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 10:11:57 PM
by zola

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan

Views: 3491
By: shining-one
Meis