Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Beware !  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Beware !
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:38:26 PM »
A few days ago a friend requested a Kalamar shop to send someone to her villa to measure the windows for new curtains.  A short time after the shop employee left with the measurements, it was discovered that a very large amount of money had been taken from a wallet and two purses that had been in view in two of the rooms.  They later learned that this is the 2nd time the same shop employee has been accused of a similar theft but no action has been taken.

The shop employee was denounced to the Jandarm but of course, as no one saw him take the money, nothing came of it except frustration and derogatory comments.  The two women spent most of their last afternoon in Kalkan with the Jandarm.  They were treated disgracefully, being accused of concocting the whole story just to get insurance money.  In the end, after much discussion with the Jandarm, they were reluctantly given a report which inaccurately reports what actually happened.  The fact of the theft is in the report.  Nonetheless, as there was no forced entry and no witness, it appears highly unlikely the two victims will be reimbursed even part of the stolen money by any insurance policy.

A similar thing happened to me some years ago, once here in Kalkan (not from the shop in this episode) and once in  southern Spain.  I find it outrageous and unacceptable that a judge or a policeman accuses the victim of concocting a story of theft solely to have her vacation repaid by insurance money.  It is certainly conceivable that there are people who might stoop to such a level, but I think that saying "all you British / foreigners do or are xxxxx" is an unwarranted, denigratory and unprofessional statement to make to someone who has come to report a crime. They don't seem to know that most insurance policies will not cover the theft of money in the absence of witnesses, threats or forced entry, and if they do, there is usually a substantial deductable amount that the policy owner must forfeit.

Moral of the story:  beware when you have unknown people in your home; don't leave anything in sight that could be quickly pocketed.  That includes money, jewelry, mobile phones, Ipods, good pens and small cameras.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8631.0
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline davenottm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Beware !
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »
A sad tale, but it does make you think........how many of us renters leave valuables out when the cleaners come in part way through the holiday? I know we did, because, like 99% of us, I guess, we are trusting people.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: Beware !
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »

Trust no one........

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Beware - burglars about

Started by Nicky Adams on General Discussion

25 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 11:57:19 AM
by happy days
xx
BEWARE - more burglaries

Started by happy days on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post September 07, 2012, 06:49:40 PM
by Firecat
xx
Owners beware - here we go again

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2015, 02:26:40 PM
by Mayday1
xx
Kalkan pet owners beware

Started by Lantana on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 07:28:51 PM
by Cosetta

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal