Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A security tip  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
A security tip
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
"... a ground floor apartment ... was broken into and the safe was completely removed from the wardrobe causing considerable damage. The two ladies who were renting the apartment for a short break had gone out for the day and returned to find the damage and the theft. They had the majority of their cash and both their passports in the safe.

The burglars broke in through the patio sliding doors outside the lounge. They ... lifted one of the sliding doors to gain entry. These sliding doors are vulnerable to this type of forced entry. It is advisable for all owners to consider installing additional locks or bolts to make such an entry difficult if not impossible. "
------------------
This is a report NOT from Kalkan, however, the same thing has happened here.  It is not wise to put things into a wall safe.  If there is not a better hiding place, keep your passports with you and withdraw cash from the bank only as you need it.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7962.0
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: A security tip
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
Bit of a ball ache carting your passport round with you on your hols - particularly if you're a beach bum. It must be safer to leave your valuables in a locked villa/apartment than wrapped in your towel while you go for a dip!
Is there a security box service in Kalkan?
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »
I used to work in the glass industry and any sliding patio door is a doddle to open from the outside, also tilt and turn doors if they are left on tilt. When you think about it the whole place is as secure as a pane of glass, break it and you are in. So what to do? The best thing is to consider hiding passports and cash somewhere in the apartment. Thieves want to be in and out in the shortest time and as quietly as possible, so the first place they look is the bedrooms, which is where most people hide things, and coincidentally, is usually where the safes are located! Most professionals will hit you on the first night of your arrival, before you have had a chance of organizing yourselves, so don't have a meal out that evening. If  there is a fully fitted kitchen, then passports in the cornflakes packet and cash in one of the cups is a suggestion. Think sideways, don't leave your brain behind at Dalaman, which is what the locals think we do! You wouldn't be so trusting in the U.K. would you?

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »
Good advice Dellbarr I always hide the passports away somewhere in the villa along with a credit card......if everything else is stolen you can still get home with out any hassle......regarding the double glazed units in Turkey they do seem a bit behind the UK no anti lift or anti bump technology..... ;) ;)

Offline emma

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:09:36 PM »
We were told that the big patio doors are easily lifted up out of their runners, so we fitted a 10/12 inch long, by about an inch thick piece of wood into the runners above the door locks, therefore when we go out and the doors are locked they cant be lifted/prised off the rails/runners. Its a really simple but effective security trick!

Also I saw two ladies a few years ago in Kalkan whose passports had been stolen along with other items and they were having a right game trying to arrange replacement passports! documents to get them back to UK. After seeing their misfortune I have always taken a photo copy of the back page of each of our passports and driving licences, I keep these hidden separatley from our actual passports etc.

I make the brief comment/suggestion below in a letter I send to all guests, not so much warning them, as I dont want to freak people out, but just suggesting a little creativity and caution.

Please Note: We do not have a safe in the Villa. Neither, we or any of our guests have been burgled in the 5 years we have owned it.  However please do not leave money, valuables, laptops etc out in view of windows. Be creative have a look around the villa, there are plenty of places to hide valuables etc. Also it’s a good idea wherever and whenever you go abroad to take a photo copy of the back page of your passport and a copy of your driver’s licence as a backup in case of an emergency.

Hope his helps !

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »
The solution we had installed in our apartment (in Spain) was to put a special hook lock on the inside of the door frame.  When locked a hock engages the entire frame and prevents a lift-out of the doors.

Note, however, that PVC windows can also easily be removed from the outside.  Carpentry windows with customs locks cannot be pried out.  Thieves tried in our villa, they failed to get them open or out.

Offline dalemill16x

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • Applebee's Coupons
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:34:57 AM »
This is so sad! Hope everything is fine now. We basically keep dogs and many a times we were safe because they react when something is going suspicious inside or outside our house.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:36:34 AM by dalemill16x »
Applebees Coupons

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

thumbup
Home Security

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 08:58:55 PM
by Chucky
xx
Security at gatwick

Started by Lynne T on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 07:55:53 AM
by Lynne T
xx
Security and cctv

Started by chickengeorge on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2015, 09:50:30 AM
by onelove
xx
New airport security

Started by Blue Lizard on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2018, 02:47:28 PM
by Chris_S

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal