Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What makes Kalkan special?  (Read 4090 times)

Offline SarahT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
What makes Kalkan special?
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Hi all,

I'm doing a bit of research for an article on Kalkan and I'd like to hear from those of you that keep returning to Kalkan.

How many times have you been? What makes you go back?

Would be great to hear from you.

Thanks

Sarah

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10153.0

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
Re: What makes Kalkan special?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »
This is almost unquantifiable, we went for the first time in June 2005 and bought a villa on that first visit, we have been 3 or 4 times a year since, I describe it to people as a Cornish fishing village with sun, but it's more than that, it has a charm and friendliness that we have not experienced anywhere else. What else could we personally ask for? not a lot! It has often been described as magical, I think that sums it up. Not prefect, but then Utopia (altho' there is a bar of that name) doesn't exist, . . . . does it? It is now like going home to us.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
Couldn't have put it better myself Headroom. We've just returned, been there nine times in five years and every time it doesn't disappoint. Apart from the views the food and the relaxing atmosphere for us the most special part, the Turkish people. Everytime we return the people we've met previously always remember us and give us such a warm welcome, even running down the road to greet us with the usual handshakes and kisses, always feel extremely special and humble. Met new Turkish friends again this year and I'm sure we'll get the same welcome if we are lucky enough to return next year. As usual it was very hard to say goodbye even though we'd only known them a short while and I'm not ashamed to say there were a few secret tears shed thankfully behind large sunglasses LOL!

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »
Only returned from our last trip last Friday.  My tears at leaving were not quite so secret.  I usually wait until I am on the road up out of Kalkan but this time it was leaving the harbour 24 hours before our planned departure.  Clara says it, it is the people that make Kalkan special.  They are like long lost friends, which gives Kalkan that homely feel.  I don't know about other people but when I have had to move house from a home that I have known and loved I have got upset, it is like that every time I leave Kalkan.  It is a home away from home and we have stayed in hotels, we don't have a villa.

The only other place I have had that feeling is Sri Lanka.  That too is speacial.  I have cried histerically on the plane leaving Sri Lanka.

Jo

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »
I first went in 2008 and have been 6 times since, once on my own. My next visit starts on Sunday, YAY!!!
What make it special? People, atmosphere, location, something intangible and inexplicable. I also feel like i am going home and catching up with friends each time i go. It is just wonderful. 

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »
Hi Sarah, I'm sure you get the gist! I can only echo everyone else's comments. I think we are injected with a magical substance as we pass the Kalkan sign at the top of the bend on the D400!!!!
We have been to Kalkan 4 times in the past 3 years and just booked for our 5th trip. For us, it's the people first. Never ever despite some wonderful holidays, have we met such respectful, friendly and genuinely welcoming people who actually seem pleased to see us again and remember us from other trips, even if we have only walked past their restaurant the previous year!! This combined with stunning scenery, gourmet food and a fantastic vibe about the place, make it so addictive to us.
We have made some wonderful friends, both Turkish and British over the past 3 years and genuinely hope we can continue to visit for as long as we are physically able to drag ourselves up and down those hills!!  :)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:17:13 PM »
Can only echo what everyone is saying. Have been visiting Kalkan for 16 or so years, seen many changes over that time some good some not so good, but the essential character of this enchanting town lives on and it never ever fails to delight  :)

Offline SarahT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to answer  :) I would agree that the people in Kalkan play a big part.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Why Kalkan Is Special To Me

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 05:31:31 PM
by MartynE
xx
It makes me smile!!!

Started by Mrs B on The Everything Else Area!

48 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 01:11:52 PM
by Lougie
smiley
The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 "2014 Summer Special"

Started by Lizilu20 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

156 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 12:38:36 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Its special because..............

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 02:04:46 PM
by Babs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal