Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What is it about Kalkan? (aka Martyn gets a bit soppy).  (Read 2902 times)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
There was another power cut in Kalkan yesterday morning. It started around breakfast time and, as usual, there was no indication of how long it was going to last. It was a Saturday, so that could mean it was going to be a long one. It was a bit annoying, as I has planned to do a lot of work on the Kalkan Secrets website and, of course, no power means no internet.

So, after a visit to the gym (no electricity needed to pump a few weights!) I headed back to the apartments, grabbed a paintbrush and did some final pre-season touching-up.

The thing about painting is that it give you a good opportunity to think... I started reflecting on the power cuts, and the water cuts, and how much of an annoyance they were for us during the winters when we lived in Kalkan between 2012 and 2015. When you live here, you learn to take it in your stride... but, when you are only visiting, it becomes more of an issue because your time in Kalkan is limited and you naturally want to make the most of it! We've seen it from both sides.

So I'm thinking, "haha...Kalkan isn't perfect, but..."

Well, anyway... then the power came back on. And almost immediately, the sound of power tools started echoing around the hillside as the builders frantically tried to get their work finished before the 15th May deadline. Now, I contribute to a lot of forums and social media sites centred on Kalkan, and I'm well aware that two of the things that cause most controversy on those sites are:

1) the creaking infrastructure, and
2) the amount of building going on in and around Kalkan.

Nope, Kalkan certainly isn't perfect,

But...

I mentioned it to the guests in one of our apartments. They were Kalkan first-timers, and I apologised for any inconvenience caused by the power cut. They just smiled, shrugged their shoulders and said, "guess it's just part of the charm of the place."

Then I remembered the first time Fiona and I came to Kalkan, in July 2004. It was actually our honeymoon, so I suppose wherever we went would have generated special memories... but that week changed our lives completely. We'd both travelled quite a lot and "never go back to the same place twice" had always been the motto. After all, there are so many more places to see in the world, aren't there?  But... by the third day of that holiday, we were sitting  opposite each other in the old Sofra rooftop restaurant saying... "this place is really special". We simply couldn't believe the friendliness of the people; or the quality, variety and value of the restaurants; or the views from the rooftops; or the colour of the sea; or the boat trips; or the sunsets; or the funny, friendly street animals. Of course, in our travels we had experienced all of these things before, but never all in one place. We had to come back. It was as if we had been bitten by a Kalkan bug.

As I looked back, all misty-eyed (it was the paint fumes, honest...) I remembered.

There were power cuts then, too.
And water cuts.
And unfinished buildings.
Kalkan wasn't perfect then, either.

But... here we are, still.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13300.0

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: What is it about Kalkan? (aka Martyn gets a bit soppy).
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »
 :) aw that made me feel very emotional!  It is a very special place.  It only took us 2 visits to realise that and we ended up buying a place there!  I now spend every single waking moment counting the days until my next trip.  Only been jome 16 days, and not sure if I can wait the 54 days until the next trip!! 💞💞
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
question
Where are you in Kalkan?

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

70 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 12:59:21 PM
by Chucky
xx
Hi Kalkan...

Started by Ozgur on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 11:03:59 AM
by Ozgur

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal