Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: what food can i bring ?  (Read 8112 times)

Offline bennyboo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
what food can i bring ?
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »
We are staying in a Villa & normally i take sausage, bacon, ham & cheese with me in an icebag, but havent been to Turkey before, is it okay to bring these things over ?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1799.0

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: what food can i bring ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »
Bringing food to Kalkan is in coals to Newcastle territory.  Why not have a go at Turkish Sucuk sausage or cheese, olives and salad. My dad visited us and managed to get Fikret at the Deniz fish restaurant to knock up scrambled eggs on toast for him.

I would think it best to avoid bringing any food through international borders, having once been held fro having a pack of Polos arriving in Australia, but especially items which might offend local sensitivities.

Offline bennyboo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply, normally bring things with us as my son (6yrs) is a very picky eater, wont try anything new & only eats very plain things, he will be fine when we eat out of an evening but for breakfast, sandwiches round the pool during the daytime i like to make sure i have something to feed him with

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »
Yali supermarket sells bacon..it is expensive,they also sell sliced cheddar..also quite expensive,we always take a slab of cheddar and have never had problems..both myself and partner dislike feta cheese.. ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »
It is normally OK to bring English bacon etc out with you - but always pack it in a suitcase and NOT in your hand luggage

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:57:12 PM »
I know what you are going through with a picky eater, but my challenge was 72 years older than yours.

My experience of taking young (between 2 and 8 years old) nephews and nieces to restaurants is that the staff and other customers will be so much more positive and friendly and helpful towards you and them than would be the case in most British restaurants, almost to the point of taking them away from you so that you too can enjoy your meal and relax.

Have a great stay!

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 02:00:58 PM »
Yes bring it,from the UK will be cheaper and better than any bacon, sausage or cheddar bought in Kalkan- and ham is not available to best of my knowledge. A good trick is to freeze before hand and wrap in one of those disposable freezer bags from the supermarkets....then you can always leave anything you don''t use for me!!!

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 02:26:51 PM »
Yes - I would say bring it too - cheaper and nicer than the equivalent you can get in Kalkan - but make sure you do put it in your suitcase as previously advised..!!  I also bring my own teabags coz I''m fussy and can''t stand the Liptons yellow label stuff and also marmite!!

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline bennyboo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, think ill freeze the bacon then put it in the cooler bag (which goes in the hold) then it will keep everything else cool.  Just wanted to make sure i wasnt taking anything i shouldnt be

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:43:46 PM »
Please bear in mind that it maybe confiscated. I know that a friend of ours had cheese, salmon and pork goods confiscated at Dalaman last year and on a recent trip to Meis, some people bought pork goods and and put their separate purchases together in one of their cool boxes and it caused a real to-do at Kas. The Customs Officer was not for giving their passports back and confiscating all their goods including cigarettes. The captain of the boat interceded on their behalf, but warned them to be very careful what they bring back in future, and the amounts as the Customs are tightening up.

Offline bennyboo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »
Now im confused, arent i allowed to bring sausage, bacon, ham, cheese etc ??

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »
Bennyboo, I have posted the "official" list of items that visiters can bring into Turkey with them, and posted it on the General advice and information thread.
Many people, myself included, do bring in other foodstuffs, but if you are stopped and your luggage checked, those items maybe confiscated.
Cheers
Joan

Offline oneiros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:30 PM »
I haven''t been to Kalkan before but I''m really looking forward to it (we arrive on 19/08/2008).
I''m replying to this thread as I witnessed an incident two years ago. We landed at Dalaman from Manchester and a family on the same flight were taken into a room and questioned - as you can imagine there was a lot of gossip regarding this, particularly on our coach as we were waiting for the same family. Three hours later, the family got on the coach to Hisoranu, very upset and distressed. We weren''t staying at the same hotel so it wasn''t until our return 2 weeks later that I found out what happened as I was talking to the lady in Dalaman airport- Apparently she had been many times before and had always brought frozen bacon, sausages etc for her children, - wrapped in a supermarket cool bag and then put in the suitcase in the hold. This time they were taken into a room and all of their suitcases were open in the room, they were questioned at length about bringing pork products into the country and initially were refused visas. After intervention from the holiday rep, disposal of the food and promises never to do this again they were eventually allowed the visas and allowed to go. Whilst we were talking about this another lady approached us and joined in the conversation, she told us that her husband was Turkish and they were visiting his family near Marmaris. She explained that whilst Turks in general are very relaxed and their observation of Islam is not stictly rigid in the tourist areas that you still need to remember that this is a Muslim country and bringing in Pork products is not just insulting the religion but that they would find it insulting that you would find the need to bring food to their country. It was enough to put me off I can tell you. I usually take a variety box of cereals as a just in case measure (I also usually end up leaving them untouched but hey...). I don''t even kown if I''d do that now.

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 06:28:34 AM »
This is the exception rather than the rule-I and many of the people who visit bring small amounts of pork and other items that can''t be easily bought here.This is the first story of it''s kind I have ever heard.
Customs are quite strict restrictions on the return boat from Meis but generally it''s ok. I think moderation is the key.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 06:52:07 AM »
Agree with Mercimek, can only think that the family had perhaps rather a large amount of goodies for it to be picked up upon.  Take your variety pack, but then again if they aren''t eaten why bother, use the space in the suitcase for something else.  You can get different cereals in Kalkan at the supermarkets anyway now. Have a lovely holiday.

There has been in recent months a thread on this subject, not able to give exact dates but may be worth searching unless someone can assist with details.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline oneiros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »
As I say, I don''t even bother with cereal anymore. I don''t go to Turkey to eat the same food I eat in England, that''s one of the things I like about holidays my kids are pretty good and wherever we go in the world they always try different foods, if they don''t like it I can always find something that they like. I''ve always taught them that they won''t know if they don''t try and they are fully comfortable with this idea. They aren''t fussy and have never moaned and have tried all sorts, they may not always like it but they''ll give it a go.
I agree the family in question probably had a large amount of pork products. I wasn''t scare mongering. I''ve never seen anything like that before or since but thought the person asking ought to know the possibilities

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »
I''m a very picky eater in England but love the food in Kalkan, the turkish sausages in the supermarket are good and lovely fresh eggs, cheese spread is good too and not too expensive, then theres the bread and small pastries with jam and honey and fresh fruit and salads and not forgetting a big bag of cheese and onion ruffles mmmmmm, leave the bacon at home  :)

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »
And don''t forget the lovely,lovely,lovely yogurt!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
with honey  :D

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »
Our son was extremely fussy as a child but we found holidays were the best times to introduce him to new tastes, he''s now 22 and eats virtually anything. I think the most we have ever taken away with us on holiday is marmite, tomato ketchup and salad cream (must adimit to still bringing marmite, I love it!).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How much wine can I bring into Turkey?

Started by Livingproof on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 11:50:11 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
What do you bring home from Kalkan?

Started by teke on General Discussion

28 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 11:34:50 AM
by Enişte
xx
OK...... it's about food!

Started by jamie-n-kimbo on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 04:20:35 PM
by cherylfoster
xx
Food!!!

Started by dblma on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

14 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 07:32:34 AM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Eagles Nest

Views: 4872
By: alisonh
Kalkan marina 2003