Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: unidentified marine willdlife  (Read 2761 times)

Offline borischelski

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
unidentified marine willdlife
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
i was swimming on kalkan beach yesterday (tues) evening just after 6pm  when just within the swimming area  ropes i bacame aware of a large ish creature a few yards ahead of me just below the surface.

i only had a few seconds to look at it before it just slipped below the surface.unfortunately i didnt get a clear view as the water was a bit choppy and was in partial shadow at that time of the evening. also obviously swimming one is very close to the water therefore dnt get a perspective view.

it appeared brownish in colour and having seen them before else where and my inital thoughts were that it was a smallish turtle-i think theyre still nesing round patara beach

the other alternatives are a large fish of  but as far as im aware there are no sharks or dolphins in this area.

is anyone aware as to whether  any of the local fishermen have spotted a rouge sea turtle this week?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10058.0

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: unidentified marine willdlife
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »
Wow! - wonder what it was?  We have seen dolphins in the water there, but not that close to the shore - hopefully someone will know....tbc!.

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »
loggerhead turtle?

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:01:07 PM »
Sounds like you saw the turtle that is spotted most days within the roped off area of Kalkan Beach. Nothing more sinister than that!

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:02:14 AM »
My husband swims off the beach and usually sees this turtle at least once a day.He has sometimes seen a much larger one but thats usually a lot further out.Can give you a bit of a fright if it pops its head out of the water but what a priviledge to see in its natural surroundings.
From time to time there are dolphins in the bay but we were very lucky to see a seal once.We reported to the costguard and they came,photographed him and reported the sighting,as they are so rare now.It was only a foot away from us and was crunching on a fish he had caught.It was an amazing sight.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Marine life questions

Started by claire on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 02:18:23 PM
by claire

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal