Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tuana medical centre  (Read 11261 times)

Offline baclava

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • The Olive Grove
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Tuana medical centre
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:52:28 PM »
I have been to Tuana medical centre today for treatment for an ear infection. For a 15 minute consultation the doctor removed wax from my ear and gave me antibiotics and ear drops. (cost of medication 20 lira). Total cost 250 lira. Did I have mug written on my forehead ??
Has anyone else had a similar experience  ???

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6494.0

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Tuana medical centre
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »
You should have gone to the clinic along kalamar road, took my daughter there last year with a ear infection, saw Dr Cem and the bill was 35tl plus 15tl for the medication, this price also included a second visit after the medication had finished!!

Offline heyho

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »
This is pretty much the standard charge when the doctor sees a 'foreigner'.

In his defence, he knows most foreigners/tourists have insurance so they can claim the money back.  And I wonder how much the same consultation, treatment and medication would cost a 'foreigner' in the UK?

Also, I happen to think it's worth it.  He's treated you promptly, properly, and presumably using your own language.  It's reassuring for foreigners/tourists here in Kalkan to be able to see an English speaking doctor VERY quickly, no matter whether the cost seems slightly high.  People get very frightened when they're ill and away from home and in my opinion, Dr Cem does a great job in that he sees people virtually immediately, either at his clinic or at a villa/hotel, he speaks good English, and he puts their minds at rest, which often makes them halfway better before he's even treated the problem.

So yes, it may have been expensive, but there was no waiting involved was there?  And you're on the mend already aren't you?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »
Baclava, we paid that last year at Tuana for the same thing for our eldest daughter - although we were insured I missed the clause in our policy that said we had to claim for medical bills within one month - we were there for 3 weeks and the ear infection happened at the start of the holiday. Just thought I'd sort it out when I got back, but by the time I got round to it it it was too late :( :(  Just a word of warning for everyone to check their policies.
I'm confused, I thought Doctor Cem worked out of Tuana (our daughter was treated by him) - does he also work in the Kalamar Road clinic, but charge less there ???
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 08:02:21 PM »
Yes Dr Cem works in the clinic along Kalamar Road (well he did last year) only in the mornings. He is a great doctor

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:32 AM »
I agree with the points so well put by heyho. Dr Cem is indeed a very good doctor who charges private patients in line with national guidelines - the fees for private treatment are set nationally and if you follow the guidelines in your insurance policy,   the fees will be re-imbursed by your holiday insurer, suggesting that they are seen to be acceptable, not outrageous.  Had you chosen to go to one of the private hospitals in Fethiye, you would have paid the same but you would have had a journey of more than an hour each way and a wait of at least an hour if you had arrived without an appointment.

The clinic in Kalkan is not supposed to be for holidaymakers, it is a state facility paid for by the state. There is always an outcry in the press in the UK if 'foreigners' receive 'free' medical treatment on the NHS. Why should foreigners on holiday here, who all have medical insurance, expect to receive highly subsidised medical treatment paid for by the Turkish taxpayer.?

I personally know of many cases where Dr Cem has gone to extraordinary lengths to provide drugs and treatment to local people who do not have cover through the state system and I believe that he is personally often out of pocket because of that. So I think it is quite wrong to make accusations about the integrity and professionalism of our local doctor.  ('Did I have mug written on my forehead'?)  simply because you think the price you have been charged is high.  Perhaps next time you go for private treatment Baclava you should ask in advance how much it will cost before you post so negatively about a very well respected professional and member of our local community.

This is yet another example of Enjoy Kalkan being used to cast aspersions on somebody's professionalism and character when they have no chance to put their case in response and posts such as this do great damage to the local community.

Will

Will

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Extremely well put, Will.

If your medicine was 20YTL - your consultation was then 230YTL which is around £100.  Similar, if not cheaper, than seeing a private consultant in the UK and you got the problem solved.

I don't think you have anything to moan at.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »
It is a great pity that the private clinic that was set up opposite the otogar was "apparantly" forced to leave Kalkan - it at least provided 24 hour cover in the winter which is now not always available
I had the same treatment as Baklavabuddy and it cost me 70TL
To see a consultant in Fethiye is usually about 60 / 70 TL - but OK you have to get there
But as everything in Kalkan ....you pays your money and takes your choice

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »

The clinic in Kalkan is not supposed to be for holidaymakers, it is a state facility paid for by the state.

Will, when you say the clinic in kalkan do you mean the facility in Kalamar Road? Is this why Begonvil paid considerably less for treatment there than Tuana Medical Centre? How would visitors to Kalkan know any different - surely its up to the staff at the state subsidised facility to direct tourists to a private practice? I thought all the medical facilities in Turkey were private so I, for one, wouldn't know if I was using a service that I shouldn't as a visitor ???

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »
I'm also confused. Original post was about prices at Tuana, another mentioned Dr Cem on Kalamar road and since then I've lost track ???

Only ever had to use the doctor once while in Kalkan and did go to Tuana. Can't remember the exact cost but do remember overwhelming relief at getting treated promptly with medication which worked quickly and effectively

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
3 Years ago I went to Kalkan with my friend who all her life has suffered with bad sore throats. Low and behold she started with one of these bad throats on the plane going, during the first day she was really ill so the next morning we got up and went along to the clinic along kalamar road.

We saw Dr Cem, he examined my friend and said he could treat the problem with antibiotics it would cure the problem temporary, but it would keep on coming back, he then said that he could give her a course of injections one everyday for 5 days and she would never suffer from the throat infection again.

She decided to have the course of injections so for the next 5 days we had to go to the Tuana medical center where a nurse gave the injections, after the treatment was finished she had a bill for £135.00 which she claimed on her travel insurance.

My friend cant praise Dr Cem enough he was right and she has never suffered with her throat since. I really don't think she would have been offered this treatment here in the UK, so having the bad throat while in Kalkan did her a big favour!!!

Offline Pauline

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »
Our family have always had the utmost care from Dr Cem over the years and he is an excellent doctor.   When one of my daughter's twins had her first 'holding breath attack' which was absolutely terrifying the first time - Dr Cem came immediately to the house where she had gone for help reassured her it was normal for some babies to have these attacks and made her feel so much better.  I also had a very bad bout of flu which had developed into a very bad chest infection in the uk.   I came to turkey and was still really unwell but Dr Cem gave me the most incredible medical care including a chest xray and got me better.   In the uk i had been prescribed the wrong antibiotics which had worsened my illness.  Also when my daughter was six months pregnant with her twins - she had a bad lower stomach spasm at Kalamar Beach Club and he arrived with an ambulance immediately and whisked her off - back to the hotel.   It was a nasty scare but he again reassured her it was just a case of cramp (which it was) - she had been dangling her her legs in the very cold water.  His after care on this occasion was the best ever. There have been numerous other occasions when we have had to use him and also he makes sure he either visits himself again or sends his very competent nurse to see all is ok and bringing medication at the same time.   I have nothing but praise for him.   How lucky we are in Kalkan to have such a competent doctor.   On all these occasions we would have paid anything to get the reassurances we did.   Pauline

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »
Could someone please be kind enough to help me get my very confused head around this??

Is the Tuana Medical Centre the one above the Tesko (seville) supermarket by the roundabout at the bottom of Kalamar Rd?

Is the 'clinic' on Kalamar Road the largish building on the left hand side as you walk from the town (more or less opposite the pharmacy)or is it the place near the Moonlight at the beginning of Kalamar Rd.

If it's the largish building is the place by the Moonlight a different doctor altogether?

It seems that Dr Cem is very highly thought of and even though hopefully we will never have to make use of his services I would like to be prepared.

Thank you

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »
Hi Lynda
Yes the Tuana medical center is above Tescom and the clinic along Kalamar road is the large white building opposite the pharmacy,
By the way the man who works in the Pharmacy opposite the clinic is very helpful too.

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
Hi Begonvil

Thanks for the prompt reply. Just one more question please. Can visitors/tourists use the clinic on Kalamar Rd?? Can you just walk in off the street and be seen without an appointment?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
lynda, I'm with you..this has become a confusing thread. I think the vast majority of us think Dr Cem is a very good doctor and are more than happy to pay for his services.
Tuana is definitely above Teskom, as Begonvil says and Dr Cem works there - this is a private medical facility. From reading this thread, it appears he also works at at least one of the clinics on Kalamar Road, one, maybe both (?) is a state funded facility and shouldn't (according to Will) be used by tourists because the cost of treatment is heavily subsidised by the Turkish Government. However, I'm not sure if this is clear to tourists, or if it is indeed it applies to one or both of the Kalamar Road facilities?
Perhaps one of the residents can enlighten us?

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
No one is disputing the doctors abiltity, the start of the thread was wanting to know why it cost soo much for a quick look into the lughole, another person who thinks that every Brit is a millionare perhaps?

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »
So does Dr Cem work from Tuana or the place on Kalamar, and as tourists can we use the facility on Kalamar ???

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55:12 PM »
 Dr Cem has his own practice at the Tuana Centre above Tescom but he also works at the medical centre on the Kalamar Road
WE have found that for minor problems you can use the medical centre - my wife cut her finger quite badly a month or so ago - went there where they treated it and gave her a tetanus injection and refused payment
Sometimes if Dr Cem is at the centre, he may try to persuade you to see him privately at the Tuana where it costs
But usually they will see anyone at the centre for minor immediate matters
Hope that this helps

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 07:59:22 AM »
Thanks Kevincat that clears it up for me, lol err pardon the pun ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Medical Centre

Started by lynda on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:11:17 PM
by lynda
xx
Medical Centre Kalamar Road

Started by baclava on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 07:44:02 AM
by amber
recycled
New to Kalkan - Medical Advice Please!

Started by PompeyLad on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 04:34:44 PM
by itstime
xx
Accessing medical care in Kalkan

Started by KingArthur on Living In Kalkan

0 Replies
Last post December 15, 2014, 05:44:42 PM
by KingArthur

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal