Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Traffic in the old town  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Traffic in the old town
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
Hello all

I noticed that there is a poll on KTLN asking for members views/vote on what they would like to see implemeted regarding future traffic control in the old town, which I think is a very good idea.

I think having all the internal part of the old town pedestrianised is a sensible idea (obviously there are set times for delivery vehicles etc). For me, the problem is the mopeds/bikes who just seem to ignore the current traffic rules, they can be a menace and at night they often have no lights on and just freewheel down towards the harbour

Isis

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6890.0

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Traffic in the old town
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:07:51 AM »
O.K. so some of the younger ones ride scooters where they shouldn't, and I doubt of they have any number plates, mot,s or insurance. They couldn't get them even if they wanted as they are probably underage. You're judging the place by over policed England. I've yet to see any of them doing wheelies or stoppies or anything else dangerous. It's just regarded as a means of transport. I'm sure we've all seen a family of four on a scooter but I've never seen one ridden in a dangerous manner. If you succeed in stopping any of this then part of the character of the place will go. We've got used to all these rules and regulations back home but please don't try to introduce them in Kalkan.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »
Dellbarr,
After witnessing a case of someone on a scooter skidding, to avoid someone coming out of the shop next to Aubergine and subsequently coming off the scooter which then narrowly missed a group of people sat at one of the tables in Aubergine. I do think that making the old part of the town pedestrianised at certain times is a good idea. I am fully aware and understand perfectly, without you pointing it out to me that the the majority of people do use them as a means of transport and yes I have all seen the whole family on the bike and sometimes a dog, and thats fine. Also as far as I am aware pedestrainsition is not a "Uk" only idea.

I do not think that I alone in my views, as new traffic laws for the old town have already been introduced by the Mayor, who I believe is Turkish, with regard to allowing cars into the Old Town. The Poll was not started by me, and it is there for all to vote either way.

Personally I don't see how having the old town pedestrianised would change the character of Kalkan. I would guess that originally there would of only been donkey's used, so it could be argued that mopeds and cars changed the character of Kalkan and many more might debate that late bars and nightclubs, has changed the charater of Kalkan so in the greater scheme of things I don't think that pederstrainstion of the old town will have a huglely detrimental effect on the character of Kalkan.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
You could still keep Kalkan Pedestrianised evenings and night(deliveries etc obviously allowed daytimes).....yet allow traffic down cardiac hill only...so if anyone had an urgent need or mobillity problems it would be ok...it would also keep the plank who was pulling wheelies past the moonlight/utopia in june away ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »
I think that Cardic Hill is exluded from any plan, as you still have to have access to get the harbour etc.  I think the plan would be for it to start where the barriers are, which maks sense.
Isis

Offline Nick60

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
With the 'New Road' and Cardic Hill as access down to the front, it might be on to limit vehicles through the old town.
For me, it's a job for the locals!

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:18:38 AM »
Hi Nick 60. I agree, it's a job for the locals; there are times when I wonder 'just who do we think we are?' This is their town not ours. Re the 'new road' have you noticed that the taxi drivers have turned it into a one way and will only go down it? A longer way round equals more money!

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
Well said Dellbar. Unless you are a permanent resident in Kalkan this should be the locals decision. Kalkan is their  home town where they  have lived, some people all their lives. It is not up to us villa owners and tourists to decide this sort of issue. I couldn't agree more - leave it to the locals.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »
Totally agree MSR, I really hope the Turkish community whose village it is do not get pressured by ex-pats and villa owners. That would be so wrong.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »
How arrogant of anyone of us foreigners to believe that we actuallycould influence the local decisions regarding their  town. We are mere transients in their existence.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:48 AM »
Well said The Fed.

There are many inconsistant and at times, fairly idiotic, views/opinions expressed on EK.

Anyone with an 'interest' in the success and development of Kalkan (permanent turkish residents, turkish businesses in the town, seasonal turkish employees, permanent foreign residents, non-permanent foreign residents, villa owners (turkish and foreign) holiday companies etc etc etc, to name but a few) has a right to espress an opinion on EK or to the local authority or the Jandama, either via a vehicle (no pun intended) like KTLN or through direct contact.

However, I fully support KTLN running independent polls like this to find out what people here in Kalkan really think on issues, without the sort of silly emotional views/opinions that do get posted on the EK forum from time to time.

But then, that's only my opinion !!!!

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
Hi,
Must be the weather! Everyone seems very excitable these days on this subject, the doggie one, Adda as well. Have to say, that John's explanation, seems to say it all. The best result always comes from listening to as many people as possible and then making a measured and informed decision.
 ;D ;D
Rx

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
Well said Roxie

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Serious Traffic Accident

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Flights and Travel

21 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 08:39:03 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
3 bed. 2 bathroom. Duplex. Kiziltas near Traffic Lights. £80,000

Started by Wendy on Property For Sale

0 Replies
Last post June 21, 2014, 10:08:10 AM
by Wendy
xx
New Traffic Vehicle Visa and related tests

Started by Cosetta on Living In Kalkan

0 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 11:36:41 AM
by Cosetta
xx
Old Town

Started by cucukhanim on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 10:28:34 AM
by cucukhanim

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Lake Buttmere

Views: 3578
By: blondie
Haan Inn