Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Future of EK  (Read 12946 times)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
The Future of EK
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:47:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Not its not an April Fool post.........

As some of you may know I have taken a change in career to a really great and challenging role but unfortunately no longer have the time needed to properly give EK the attention it deserves - For this reason I wanted to create a thread to determine how you, the members of EK wanted to shape this website and forum - In a word Im passing it back to the community :)

One of the proposals I thought of was to retire the website and change it to a WIKI style format where everyone can contribute and manage the content. The forum shall remain intact as can the accommodation section. The transfers and car rental section can still be managed by Adda for example.

Im open to all ideas to keep EK going, so, over to you................

Cheers
Jon

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10813.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: The Future of EK
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
Is this the start of the end of EK Jon ???

I must admit the 'number' of members/guests on EK is as low as I have ever seen them, and
the EK venture into other resorts/forums has just not happened + must have a cost attached to it, can't be cheap ???

I hope EK can survive in its present form.   If Jon can't carry on due to work commitments etc would t be possible to 'Pass' EK onto someone who is willing to run with it ???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
Any possibility of EnjoyKalkan and KTLN joining forces.

This would seem to be a logical move as the sites have strengths in different areas and together would provide a comprehensive site for anyone visiting Kalkan.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »
Sounds like a good suggestion alantj although I have no understanding of the technology required for either.
I imagine that like many of the people who use this forum regularly we would love to see it continue in some form.
Congratulations on the new post Jon!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »
Any possibility of EnjoyKalkan and KTLN joining forces.

I know that you two Jo(h)n's don't particularly see eye to eye, but wouldn't that be the best option for the benefit of EK members, and the continuation of EK?

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
Thanks all for the comments and it was certainly a hard decision but there are no plans to discontinue EK at all, as mentioned I am looking for the best route forward for the forum to continue for everyone :)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »
...... EK shall not be turned off overnight and certainly not this season! There will be great car rental deals etc and the accommodation section will be promoted more, I am purely looking at the best way of the community keeping areas alive and moving to a format where people can contribute easier such as this - http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »
Some other sites which had over time accumulated lots of useful information simply kept the pages as reference material but closed down the possibility to add or contribute new comments and information.  IOW, they became static sites still available to read.  Most forums do reach a peak of declining interest, most do eventually change entirely or stop.

I admit to not being a regular reader or contributor, and note that there seems to be a fairly small groups of regular users.  Considering the immense amount of work involved in maintaining a web site, I have long wondered if it was worth it.   Why not take a poll vote of those wanting to keep the site versus those indifferent to it ?  If kept, the best option, IMHO, would be to find a retired web guru who wants to take over just for the fun of it. 

Congrats and best wishes for your career change - did that myself 3 times.

Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »
Thanks Cosetta - Ive got my work cut out with it :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:45:40 PM »
I agree with Cossetta ....if there is a Kalkan loving retired internet/web savy person who has the capacity to spend some time on managing the site I think it would be great. I personally would miss it if it folded. By the way John what is your new job?

Offline Alan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 10:38:40 PM »
Congratulations on the new job Jon. Hope you manage to sort something out for EK.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
If I'm being honest, I really only use the forum and personal message facility on the EK site. In terms of news and features I use KTLN. There is a message board but John F manages it really tightly to avoid it becoming a forum. The solution that would appeal to me is KTLN with a forum of this format.....selfish I know! There is a lot of very useful information stored on this forum, and even though I'm regular forum contributer and a frequent visitor to Kalkan I still use the search facility.
Trip Advisor does have forums and I have contributed a few times on there, but OMG if we think there's negativity on here sometimes, TA takes the prize!!
You've done a great job, Jon so no-one would blame you if you needed to bring this to an end.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
Just a flying visit and I haven't any really useful suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I for one would be very disappointed to see the EK forum fold. Inevitably the activity level drops off during the winter months, but aside from the regulars any new visitor to Kalkan who Googles a Kalkan question will always be signposted here. This is quite simply the most comprehensive and authorative source of first hand information there is. Yes, there is TA, but as has already been pointed out that can be a proper bun fight at times and the Kalkan board there is not particularly active. I would hope that it would be possible to bring someone else on board to either help out with or take over the running of the EK forum if it starts to become impractical under the current structure.
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
As generally happens on here....I find myself agreeing with what kalkan4eva says.....I use this forum and KTLN is the same ways.....and have to agree with the views about Trip Advisor.....good for searching out quiet little hotels but can be very negative. Here's hoping for a way forward.....preferably one which prevents people sniping at each other?  >:D

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »
The fact that this has been read over 3500 times is a statement in itself! KTLN very factual and sometimes boring. Tripadvisor full of false reviews, you get some great stuff on here and the odd bun fight, long may it continue.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
Well said.....and i like buns ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
Ditto!! It would be a dreadful shame for this forum to disappear into cyberspace. I really hope that you can find some way of keeping it going Jon. I think I'd have to have some form of detox therapy if it did eventually go!!! Save Our Forum!!!!  :'(

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »
Ditto.  I haven't been a member of the forum for that long, but I do like to read the posts to find out what is going on in Kalkan while I am away.

I only wish I had the required knowledge to help run it but sadly I do not.  Congrats on the new job though.  Wish I had the required knowledge to get one of those too!

Jo

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »
Your forum is safe :)
Dont worry!

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »
First of all congratulations on both your job and this site! I have to say I love the forum here, I haven't posted much but love reading the holiday reports, banter and advice. I do like KTLN, for it's webcams, weather and the location codes for working out where things are. However, agree that it's a bit boring! Also I find the people on TA forums a little rude and 'know it alls' but not in a good way. I have asked things on there previously, not about Kalkan, and the responses I received made me feel ridiculous for even asking the question!

I love the welcome the members give people on here, the friendliness, the fun, banter AND info! A perfect combo.

Thank you, and I hope there's a way it can be continued.  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Looking to the Future!

Started by Pauline354 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

10 Replies
Last post April 12, 2017, 06:45:50 AM
by DRBD
xx
Back to the Future

Started by foreverkalkan on The Everything Else Area!

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 09:20:40 AM
by JODARUYA
xx
Are you coming to Kalkan in the near future? If so can you help us?

Started by KAPSA Kalkan on KAPSA - Kalkan Animal Welfare Official Announcements

0 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 01:47:13 PM
by KAPSA Kalkan
xx
The future of holidays to Kalkan

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

39 Replies
Last post October 15, 2018, 06:54:27 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal