Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tannoy announcements  (Read 6082 times)

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Tannoy announcements
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
We are here in Kalkan for the 7th year in a row, staying at Truffles in the penthouse suite, it's in a fantastic location but for us the tannoy announcements are spoiling our usually wonderful holiday , they are just awful! It's like being in a friggin concentration camp and the messages are like orders, not only that it's so distorted and crackled that it must be even difficult for the locals to understand, we won't be staying this central ever again, so annoying!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12808.0

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Tannoy announcements
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:36:33 AM »
You don't hear them loudly on the hillsides and it's cooler than in town as well.  Maybe now that the elections are over there will be fewer announcements.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »
Oh dear, Kalkan not doing so well this year it seems with the tourists, tannoys,  building works just a couple of example,, still at least the sun is shining
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
Yes I agree they sound very authoritarian (spelling !), quite scary in fact & Sooo many of them. On the plus side we only heard them when we were in town. Luckily we can't hear them in Kalamar Bay where our place is ;-))

Question.....have the majority of them stopped now that the election is over ?
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »
We used to have a tannoy right outside our place but suddenly last year it had a TERRIBLE ACCIDENT ! We do not hear it any more!  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »
There have been quite a few tannoy announcements over the past few days...even our Turkish friends say they cant understand them.I was trying to listen today, I did think some of it was in English...but who knows...?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline maureenr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »
Morning folks, just to say tannoy announcements are still going strong. The first one of the day around 9.15 this morning. Weird sounding. Lots of flags up everywhere. Not sure what they are signifying? We walked in the harbour last night and thought there appeared to be the makings of a stage being erected??

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
How different we all are ;). I own the apartment just behind Alex, spend much of the year there, and for me the tannoy announcements are as much a part of the sights and sounds of Kalkan as the call to prayer or the crowing cockerels in the garden next door. We are in a great location with stunning views, and I love being at the centre of this bustling community where I feel privileged to be a guest - after all, the announcements are mostly for locals and do serve a purpose - they warn of stormy weather on the way, planned power or water outages, and remind us when our council tax is due. The ones you can hear at the moment are probably describing the wonderful events taking place as part of the Arts and Culture Festival which is currently in full swing - in particular the performance at the harbour tonight, which should be spectacular.

I don't understand the announcements but there is usually someone around to ask who does. They remind me that I am Turkey - which is sometimes much-needed as the town becomes more sanitised and westernised. I would much rather lose the searchlight, the loud music, the tacky stall opposite Ali Babas and the irritating recorded birthday songs which blast out from most restaurants several times a night in high season. On the other hand, some people might like these things. We are all different.

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
Well said Christina. We are guests here! For those who don't know, there's lots of information available on KTLN website.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
Some people like to celebrate a Birthday once a year. And what a better place than Kalkan ! ???

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
  I like to think that the announcements are a bit like the turkish Gladys Pugh letting us know whats going on at Maplins that afternoon. ..... Ballroon dancing at 2:30, egg and spoon race on cardiac hill at 4, chilli eating competition at 6.....!

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 02:41:31 PM »
Some people like to celebrate a Birthday once a year. And what a better place than Kalkan ! ???

Maybe so, but they could at least fix the damn tannoy system, it's awful, one day it was turned on and it crackled and hummed like something from the first world war, and no announcements were even made!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What's the tannoy saying every morning?

Started by Jamera on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 08:10:29 PM
by Juj
xx
Announcements

Started by Lynne T on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 06:47:20 AM
by kevincat99
xx
tanoy announcements

Started by Bri on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 07:25:14 AM
by DRBD
xx
Kalkan Announcements Section

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Kalkan Events and Announcements

1 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 02:56:38 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

My house name in England

Views: 3819
By: zros
Views of Kalkan