Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Swimming Hazards  (Read 10367 times)

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Swimming Hazards
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 08:15:19 AM »
Whilst the authorities show little respect for human life, perhaps those who rent out there villas and apartments should think about putting some warnings about Patara in their information packs to renters.
I know that I''m going to. I don''t think I could live with myself if one of my guests was drowned there, and I had said nothing, now knowing the dangers there.
  Thank you rat2 for your very informative post
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »
Yes there should be signs on this beach along with others, &  notes as suggested left by those who rent out their properties re the dangers of this area.

We have on countless occasions visited this area, we also stand and watch the flows & currents of these waters, just watching the flotsam & debris floating together with the birds swimming in the water can give a very good indication of the dangers that lurk.  There is also much water life at the bottom of these waters, snakes, frogs etc and the reeds together with the quicksands.  We have a Turkish local friend who many years ago became a victim of a tragic accident & today suffers severe consequences because of their foolishness.  It is also a very beautiful area to visit, and popular with the locals to visit.

It is still a question of common sense and respect for water, and checking things out without going blindly into it.  I check my pool every time before I go into it, only recently we discovered a large piece of jagged metal that had been thrown into it, it could have caused very serious injuries.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:49:56 AM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
Very good post Rat2.  I was unaware of this but then I never go to Patara beach to swim. However, I think that people who rent out should indeed put this warning into their info packs. 

Re warning signs, which belediye is responsible to do that?
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
Great pics Feds,the shadow drawings are really good.
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 11:58:28 PM »
great pics, and it sounds and looks wonderful there, how do you get there? can we have directions please

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 10:37:20 AM »
In fact its bliss - this area is so interesting, it seems to change with the seasons, have been going there for years and it still has its appeal.  In the spring on the road in, lots of wild flowers, then there are tortoise that wander about.
We spent last Boxing Day there, and walked in the warm sunshine all along the beach, collected so much drift wood for the fire we staggered back.  You can see from Jon''s photos what it is like now.

Just have to be a little careful of what is washed up by the sea at times and what is left by the visitor.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »
Hi John,
    Is there any parking anywhere near to the beach? We tried to find what had been called Letoon beach last year, we followed the Plaj sign but ended up doing some serious off road driving, in the end we did not actually find the beach (altho'' we knew it was "just over" the dunes) in the end we gave up and went home. I just didn''t know where to park ::).
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
As people have said, you should always respect water as being potentially dangerous, but some areas are more dangerous than others; in my book Kumluova rates as one of the most dangerous (and I''''ve swum in Darwin, NW Territories not too far from great whites) but there are no public warnings. The statistics for this beach are dreadful, but they are not widely publicised - if there were 4 drowning deaths in 2 weeks in Brighton we''''d certainly hear about it, even in Kalkan. It''''s all very well being ''''sensible'''' as DRBD says but unless you''''re an expert you can''''t predict strong undertow - that''''s why every ''''dodgy'''' beach I''''ve come across in UK, East and West coast USA, Europe, Africa (even Nigeria), East and West Malaysia, Middle East and Australia (and probably quite a few I can''''t recall at the moment) have ALL had warning signs, and/or warning flags and/or life guards.

Quote from Rat2, just to remind people this is in fact a highly dangerous place to swim.
 Anyone who recommends this place to anyone should show resposibility by telling them of the above average death rate here from drowning.
  Try to remember we are talking about death here

Offline Cheeky Girl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 05:40:35 PM »
Kumluova is also known as Letoon.  I think it is the Xanthos river that flows into the sea there. John
I agree ive been to patara and it seems very safe ive n that ever even got cramp there i feel that patara is a family beach  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
any sea swimming groups?

Started by chappy on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 08:58:40 PM
by chappy
xx
Swimming with Dolphins

Started by misty on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 07:11:29 AM
by felicity
xx
swimming pool heating

Started by onelove on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 07:21:06 PM
by onelove
xx
The garage with swimming pool

Started by phil3 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 10:23:30 PM
by clara48

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal