Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: SCOOTER HIRE  (Read 12466 times)

Offline FIONAMCGREGOR

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
SCOOTER HIRE
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »
Hi can you hire a scooter if you only have a provisional licence and is it legal to do so?  Also has the area been sprayed this year for the mozzies?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3738.0

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: SCOOTER HIRE
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 05:03:52 PM »
The very centre of the village was fogged this morning for mozzies.  I can still taste it!

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
To rent a scooter over 50 cc in Turkey you are supposed to have a full motorbike licence. You are also supposed to be over 21

There are scooter rental companies who would probably rent to you on a UK provisional car licence,  but it will be illegal. If you are stopped by the Jandarma (local police) you would face a hefty fine.

If you had an accident which involved injury or damage, your travel insurance and the insurance you had taken out when you hired the scooter would be invalid as you were engaging in an illegal act. If you were seriously hurt and needed hospitalisation, all the medical costs would have to be paid by you.  In the worst case scenario,  if you had to be medically repatriated, the cost is in the region of £50,000. If anyone else was injured you would be responsible for all their bills as well.

Of course it is unlikely that you would have an accident if you are already an experienced scooter driver but it is better to know the risks in advance so you can decide whether or not to go ahead.

Lantana

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 07:49:03 PM »
Lantana

Could you please clarify: if you hold a full UK license(car) passed before 2001 you are entitled in the UK to ride a bike up to 125cc so are you covered to hire a scooter/bike in Turkey legally?

Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »
No you need to take you CBT theory test then you can ride anything 125cc or under displaying L plates...as for Turkey haven''t got a clue  :) :)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »
In theory no. You have to take a separate test here for scooters and motorbikes and a UK car licence is not acceptable but having said that, I have never known anyone with  a full  UK driving licence being refused scooter hire. I also don''t think it would be likely for the Jandarma to take action against a tourist who had a valid UK car licence.

Non-Turkish residents driving a scooter or motorbike (there are different number plates for foreign owners of cars, bikes and scooters so we are easily identified ) are most likely to be stopped by the Jandarma and asked to show their scooter licence. There is a fine for not having the right licence and the scooter can be confiscated but again, I have never known anyone that this has happened to.

Lantana

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
Forget to mention, the main issue is that your travel insurance would be invalid if anything happened and you were driving without the correct licence. The insurance company would know because in the event of an accident, the jandarma would have to say that you were inappropriately licensed when they wrote the accident report.

Lantana

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 07:44:41 AM »
Don''t forget to wear a skid lid!! :-*
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 08:33:34 AM »
And leathers  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline FIONAMCGREGOR

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »
Thanks for that Lanterna we won''t take any chance would only hire something if it was legal! what about scooters under 50cc?

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »
Sorry, I don''t know about that. Will see if I can find anything out today and will get back to you if I do.

lantana

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Scooter Hire

Started by Ashley on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 04:42:12 PM
by kevincat99
xx
scooter hire

Started by sturdysteve on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post March 09, 2014, 08:14:21 PM
by sturdysteve
xx
scooter hire, villa antiphellos and more

Started by tuppy on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 01:13:12 PM
by Huskielady
xx
Scooter MOT

Started by patmore on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 09:24:04 AM
by patmore

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal