Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: rip off Kalkan  (Read 11274 times)

Offline b deren

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
rip off Kalkan
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »
We will not be returning to Kaklan.  We found it very very expensive this year compared to the  six previous years.

Many many restaurants with the same menu. Not as busy oh well say the resturant owners  we will just up the prices! Crazy Kalkan will do itself no favours.

Bye bye, better places are calling with better food at reasonable prices.. We have booked Koh Samui next year

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8550.0

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: rip off Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:59:25 PM »
That's a shame...but it does leave more room for the rest of us  ;D >:D ;D

Offline b deren

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:12:21 PM »
you are welcome

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
Well to be honest we didn't find it any more expensive this year than last in fact with the exchange rate it seemed cheaper   - the restaurants we visited (mostly on the harbour or bottom end of town)were more or less the same as last year for prices maybe you went to the wrong places?

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »
Am really surprised you found it expensive, first time this year for us, and it was amazingly cheap compared to other places we have visited. Can't wait to go back. :) :D :laugh:

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:43:15 PM »
A bit bemused by this post. Having visited Kalkan for 15 years, actually found this year (in July) even better value than ever, probably due to good exchage rate. Looking forward to coming back in a weeks time and enjoying the excellent value in shops, reataurants etc.
Suppose it's "horses for courses" but can honestly say that have never felt "ripped off" by anything purchased in Kalkan. Maybe Marmaris, Altinkum etc are cheaper, but give me the ambience of Kalkan every time and more than happy to pay that wee bit extra for all that Kalkan has to offer :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »
Like others I have been coming to Kalkan for quite a few years now and on my visit in June did not notice anything seemed more expensive.    Three more sleeps before I'm off again on Monday morning and with the good exchange rate anticipate being able to enjoy good meals at favourite restaurants.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
I have to say that although I love Kalkan and would not class it as rip off, it is definitely going up in price, no doubts. If any one thinks otherwise then so be it! The exchange rate at the moment covers the fact.
 ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:46:18 PM »
Sorry to hear you didn't feel you got good value - we have been to Kalkan several times and thought this year was particularly good.  There are always going to be the odd blips but on the whole I think for the excellent level of service, the beautiful views, the friendliness of the people and the cleanliness of the restaurants/apartments/hotelsbeach clubs/spas etc. we got an absolutely brilliant holiday which I will treasure until Auguat 2012 when we are alreay booked (including flights!) to go back.  Hope you enjoy your new destination as well.  Good luck!     :) :( :o ???

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
We all have a choice as to where to spend our money and where in the world we want to be. I love Thailand and have had great holiday's there and will have more in the future. If Kalkan isn't for you that's fine but I would expect that your Kho Samui holiday overall, including flights, will cost more than your Kalkan holiday and if you were to do it within the same budget, after paying for your flights, you wouldn't be meeting the same accommodation and restaurant standards. It's also a very long 2 plane flight to Kho Samui.

I also agree with others that the costs in Kalkan this year were less than last year due to the currency exchange rate.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Thailand holiday.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:29:47 PM »
Kalkan expensive where are you coming from its fantastic value for money...as for Koh Samui terrible place I found it full of hookers and sad old drunken expats chasing very young women...... ;)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »
my daughter spent a week in Kalkan in August.....stayed at the Lizo £20 a night for a double room, she took £300 spending money for everything, ate out everyday, went to beach clubs, on a boat trip, did a bit of shopping and still came back with money.....even had enough for McDonalds at Dalaman Aiport  :laugh:

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »
Yeah I agree, we love Kalkan and found it very very good value. The people are so friendly and helpful.
Koh samui is full of dirty old men ,with either young boy's or girls !! not the tropical paradise you'd expect. It was empty when we last went as they have been really affected by the  worldwide recession .We spent a very gloomy christmas there and it rained ! . Each to their own.
But  I'd rather be in kalkan thanks.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
Yeah I agree, we love Kalkan and found it very very good value. The people are so friendly and helpful.
Koh samui is full of dirty old men ,with either young boy's or girls !! not the tropical paradise you'd expect. It was empty when we last went as they have been really affected by the  worldwide recession .We spent a very gloomy christmas there and it rained ! . Each to their own.
But  I'd rather be in kalkan thanks.

Your right I forgot about the old men with young boys....gross try explaining that to you children  :( :( :(

Offline chunky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
Although love kalkan and have a place here - have to agree- but always has been rip off kalkan- and we brits made it that way, by paying over the odds for everything. All meals have gone up since july because they have to compensate for exchange rate .. Greedy bastards .. But we'll all still keep coming!

Offline b deren

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »
Koh Samui
I did not look for dirty old men!  I found the local people lovely.  I have known in Kalkan boats going out to deliver young girls.. Please do not tell me anything different.

Anyway
 I have discussed what you have said with my husband. He said after 25 years in Turkey he is not going back.  He is totally disinterested in your comments. We have been there and sold the  T shirt Bye bye

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 10:58:03 PM »
Although love kalkan and have a place here - have to agree- but always has been rip off kalkan- and we brits made it that way, by paying over the odds for everything. All meals have gone up since july because they have to compensate for exchange rate .. Greedy bastards .. But we'll all still keep coming!

Kalkan seemed to be very good value (much better than in previous years) when we were over in early July, have prices really gone up that much.

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »
Like i said each to your own.
 Its a big world out there and i have found my slice of paradise in Kalkan.
 I wish you lots of fun & sun finding yours.
We cant all like the same things...
Ps do a boat trip To koh tao if you can.. that was paradise !
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:45:23 PM by pattaya »

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »

I have discussed what you have said with my husband. He said after 25 years in Turkey he is not going back.  He is totally disinterested in your comments. We have been there and sold the  T shirt Bye bye

Surely by putting your initial comment on this forum about Kalkan, you must have expected a reaction and other people to place their comments. If your disinterested in comments to your own post then don't post in the first place.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »

KOH SAMUI...........saw it on the menu, but don't like fish.

No comments....cos my dad is bigger than your dad......

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
Kalkan 2..:)

Started by salstar on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 10:30:03 PM
by salstar
xx
ufo s in kalkan ??

Started by kevywevy on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 10:37:02 PM
by kevywevy

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Day

Views: 4479
By: janeywhit
Kalkan 1996