Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Quiet forum  (Read 8624 times)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Quiet forum
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
Just popped on to the forum (after a break of a few weeks) to see what's happening.
Not much, obviously.
Almost makes me long for the days of Bazza (and his many aliases)  >:D
Ok, not really....

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12491.0

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Quiet forum
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
It is quiet isnt it. What talk there is seems to be resident based which is what i thought it might be like towards the close of the season.
So long as you residents keep us informed, that would be great.
Anyway, i saw on ktln the englishman abroad post about kalkan parc/ lemon garden closing. Sounded permenant? What news?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
It always goes quiet on here out of season..this year seems to have gone quiet even earlier than usual for some reason..pity really as it's a good way of keeping in touch with people who have a common interest (Kalkan...)Martyn isn't that rather like  wishing you had piles?? ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »
Ooh it is kind of like losing your best friend who has moved away for the winter!  What I always want to know, is what the weather is like.  As we get to grips with winter, with no warmth to come for at least another 5-6 months, I love to think that Kalkan still gets some lovely winter sun and would be interested in the temperatures on a daily basis.  Anyone out there who would take up the baton and update us daily!  Would be brilliant.  ;D

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 05:54:19 PM »
I think it goes to show the forum is 95% holiday reports - btw temperatures on a daily basis are just on the right. It's 20 degrees with some cloud at the moment :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 05:57:18 PM »
There's always a few die-hards on here during the winter, but I agree BL, it definitely is quieter than usual...have to say we have lost a few gud'uns who would keep us entertained during the close season. Last year onelove kept us going with his daily weather reports then later on news of the dreaded roadworks. No matter how quiet it is, I would never want to see the likes of Bazza back on here again :( Hey Martyn, perhaps you could provide us with some daily updates...or weekly if daily is too much. Be nice to know what's going on there, even if it is just quiz nights in Blue Turtle and the weather forecast. News on the harbour works would be good too....if indeed they are going ahead? What do you say?.... :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 07:03:20 PM »
Come on Martyn......you know you want to, think of us poor souls in Blighty!
Chickengeorge the weather forecast here is not always right.....you may remember my paranoia a few weeks ago when looking at forecasts.....thankfully they were largely wrong!  :laugh:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:29:47 PM »
Yeah come on Martyn! Pull your finger out and keep us stalwarts entertained! I def do not want Bazza and his many alias's/split personalities back on here. I think k I'd rather run up cardiac hill with a rusty nail in my shoe, than listen to his bellyaching!!!  ::) ;D

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »
Well at the moment the sun is shining, it's warm but blowing a gale. There is a problem with the water supply, very low pressure or none at all which is very frustrating as although there is building now going on it is worse than at the height of the season. Like the UK and some other countries we are enjoying a very lovely late autumn.

Most of Kalkan is closed now just a few places still open, it is very quiet & people are having a good time catching up with family & friends  after the season, which is nice to see, in fact a lovely time of year.  The market is still operating but getting smaller, lots of jumpers, body warmers on the stalls.

Parc Kalkan recently known as Lemon Garden is closed, change of ownership, Cenk is now looking after Blue Turtle, don't know anymore. Merkez will possibly close next after a family celebration.

People, but very few still having a swim in the bay , boats all in & some have started working on them already.  Building has started, quite a few buildings to be finished from last year, but sadly we notice that they are still going up the mountain side in places

Well that's for now folks,
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 10:34:37 AM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
Thanks DRBD , it's nice to hear what's happening in kalkan it puts a smile on my face . I've not been bothering to look at EK  it all seemed to  have got a bit boring with people having digs about what others had written , so thanks again for a nice post
Lynne

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »
My pleasure Lynnne T.  Agree with your last comment which is why perhaps things have gone rather sour. Was uncertain about above info incase of any back lash.  I do think it is important for some people to know about Kalkan out of season, warts and all, eg with the building now in progress that can start at before 8am (of course it shouldn't)  & continue until gone midnight, again it shouldn't, there is very little let up during this time except for a lunch break etc but imagine living either above, next to or below it, the huge digger & the constant noise/dust of it digging into the mountain side, not paradise at all.
At the moment we are lucky nothing too much going on around us but it could happen without any warning one morning.  Oh by the way the gale is still in full force, that will knock a few olives off the trees & had beter go & pick up some of the blown over flower pots !!!!!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
Yes, thanks so much for your lovely insight into kalkan life out of season. Please continue to update us when you have the time. I try and catch up with KTLN for any news but when it's written from a personal point of view, it really makes a difference.  :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »
The weather on the right is a 'Forecast'.

In other words, what we complain about the Met Office not getting right!

Nearest current weather conditions are in Kaş, where there is a weather station.  It's operated by a government building (I think), so it tends not to be available at night or weekends.  This varies though, probably whether (no pun intended) someone forgets to turn off the router when they shut the office...?

Bookmark

http://www.wunderground.com/auto/wxmap/global/stations/17380.html

and you'll get the current weather conditions.

If it's offline, next nearest is sometimes Ölüdeniz , and always Dalaman Airport.  Drag the map from the link above and you'll find them.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »
Just as a matter of interest...was October a particularly wet one this year? We were there in the third week. When the sun shone, it was glorious. When it rained...oh my! Staircases became cascading waterfalls, cobbles rolled their way down to the beach and the sea turned red with soil. We still had a brilliant holiday, though. The previous October we were there and had sunshine all the time. Were we just very lucky in 2013?

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
Lola......we've been three times in October and had a range of weather. This year we Left a couple of days before the floods/storms and had had lovely weather, bar a couple of showers for ten days. Other times we have had dry all the time or a couple of rainy days but nothing like you had, I think maybe you were unlucky?

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 07:31:51 AM »
Chaps...I was only joking about Bazza!! Heaven forbid that we should have to put up with all that dross again ;)

Anyway. DRBD has already updated you on a lot of what is going on. Weather at the moment is really pleasant.... sunny and warm again. It was a bit breezy over the weekend and we had a rainstorm on Sunday, but it only lasted a couple of hours and then normal service was resumed. It is starting to get a bit chillier at night and of course it does get dark a lot earlier now, but we haven't had any heating on at all yet, not even at night.

We love November in Kalkan. It is much quieter, yes, but frankly that's a relief after the long season. It feels so relaxed and chilled now...everyone just seems to have more time and it all just slows down. It's a great time to get a lot of jobs done, such as repainting the apartment building, while the walls are still dry from the long summer and before the real rain sets in during January and February!

Parc Kalkan / Lemon Garden has been vacated by Cenk but he has now moved to the Blue Turtle (used to be The Lounge, next to Chillies). There's going to be regular live music there on Saturdays and Sundays, and open mic nights on Wednesdays. The Tuesday expat quiz nights have moved to Blue Turtle with Cenk and are re-starting here tonight, so we are looking forward to that as it's always fun. And the film nights are back on Fridays. Although I will personally miss that this week, as I have to visit the UK for a week on Thursday  >:( What's the weather like there?

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »
Well it's wet and miserable up here in Lancashire, but quite mild, temp approx 10 degrees C, a bit different than Kalkan I expect!  :)

Will Baris still be singing and playing guitar at the Blue Turtle and will yourself and Aklan be joining him too next summer? We had a good laugh in there this year.

Hope to hear more from you and DRBD too, thanks for your update Martyn  :)

ps, don't mention the 'B' word again  - makes me feel queasy  ;D

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 02:55:07 PM »
Hi Liz

Oh great...the weather sounds fab...not!

Yes, Baris is still there...I actually played with him on Ssaturday and as far as I know the plan is to extend it through the summer. As for whether Aklan will come as well in the summer, I don't know yet! He is in America at the moment. I'm sure Cenk will want him though, if he is available.

Offline EK Moderator

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
Please note a new Thread has been started for "Out of Season Updates."
Lets keep them coming and keep them friendly. :)
http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12496.0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:16:32 PM by EK Moderator »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Forum quiet.

Started by clara 50 on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 10:03:42 PM
by Babs
xx
very quiet?

Started by johnl on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 12:07:15 PM
by Rachey
xx
Quiet Kalkan?

Started by dorbyperry on Holiday Reports and Reviews

22 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 01:07:38 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Shhhh...it's oh so quiet

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post June 23, 2017, 10:31:28 PM
by jnismith

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal