Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Put My Mind At Rest...  (Read 3567 times)

Offline sarah.ellie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Put My Mind At Rest...
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »
Hi everyone!!

Visiting Kalkan for the first time on 28th August for 2 week and counting the days :D

We chose Kalkan because of the amazing reviews its received, saying its beautiful and upmarket. We are hoping for a relaxed, chilled holiday involving lazing by the pool, a good meal and a few cheeky drinks of an evening...

But recently I've seen a few reviews on other sites complaining about loud banging music at 3 in the morning and pubs serving english food and showing eastenders on tv - this wasn't what I'd imagined at all.

Would really appreciate it if someone could give an honest opinion of Kalkan and (hopefully) put my mind at rest!

Thankyou in advance!!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4095.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Put My Mind At Rest...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »
sarah ellie.....you needn't worry..it's a smashing place, you will always get a few negative vibes!! i take it those that whinge about it won't be going back?...which is great because it leaves it for those of us who love it!! ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:30:53 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »
Don't listen to the moaners!
Go and enjoy what is so special to so many of us!
Rx

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »
Sarah-Ellie take it all with a very large pinch of salt!! The holiday experience you described you wanted in your posting is most definitely the sort of holiday you will get in Kalkan. Last year we wanted a similar holiday to you and came across Kalkan by word of mouth, hadn't been abroad for twenty years as we had been raising four kids, wanted our first holiday alone to be special and believe me it excelled all our expectations. We went again this June and still loved it there so much that instead of going elsewhere for our second break we're having another two weeks in Kalkan in ten days time. Don't listen to the moaners, you can't please all the people all of the time although I realise people have a right to an opinion but in my experience some people are not happy unless they're nit picking. Probably get up in the morning and say Oh no not again, the sun's shining! Hope you have a great time I'm really sure you will!

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »
Sarah.ellie,
              i don't recognise the place you are discribing, Kalkan is a magical place that steals your heart. All our freinds and relations that have used our appartment over the years have fallen in love with it. You will not be dissapointed. Have a great holiday

M

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 06:27:41 PM »
Hi Sarah Ellie

I don't know what reviews you have been reading, but they sound like total garbage to me! Don't worry; Kalkan is exactly what you are looking for!

Fiona and I were looking for exactly the same thing in 2004, when we first came here for our honeymoon, ... we were totally hooked, and have been back 12 times since then (having also bought an apartment)!   

It is a charming, warm, magical place.  You will love it.

Offline Hummingbird

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:07:43 PM »
This is the likely source of the concern. Thread “disappointed”.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g297964-i1890-Kalkan_Turkish_Mediterranean_Coast.html

We are all entitled to our own opinion of course but you would hardly think they are talking about the same place would you?

The point about driving seems rather silly with due respect to the contributor.  Turkish drivers are not great but they do not compare badly with most European drivers.

Another contributor referred to a difficulty accessing Turkish food?

I would like to know what other resorts are supposed to compare so favourably with Kalkan.  I have yet to find one, certainly with the same combination of price, friendliness of people, quality of scenary and food  etc.

Oludeniz is pleasant but certainly not a Kalkan and Marmaris is seeking to attract a different………….. clientele!

We are coming back end of September and can’t wait.

Vivre Kalkan!

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
If you took every review on Trip Advisor as gospel you'd never go anywhere, for every positve report there will nearly always be a negative one to follow.  With so many contradictions, it really isn't worth taking any notice. Sometimes it's better to go somewhere with no preconceptions at all, we've stayed at some places we would never go back to but made the most of it and had a good time.

Kalkan is fab, you will love it I'm sure!

Offline katieh

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »
In my opinion Trip advisor is a useful tool if you have enough common sense to realise that not everybody is looking for the same things. We went to Portugal 2 years ago and some of the reports on there for the hotel we were staying in were dreadful, but it turned out to be a lovely hotel and I made sure I gave it a shining report on our return!! I think that the travellers photo section is really good for looking at real life pictures of your hotel, rather than ones that have been airbrushed and tidied up by the travel company. At the end of the day, sometimes taking a risk is part of the fun, there is not much point listening to other people as, as jayne has already said...you would never leave the country!!

Offline Leigh

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »
Hi, we have just returned on Monday from a 2 week stay at the Asfyia Hotel and have to say that in the last 25 years of travelling abroad, I have never wanted to stay somewhere for longer than the 2 weeks, am usually chomping at the bit after 10-11 days to be home.  Not with Kalkan, my husband and I had a wonderful time.  The weather was great, although a tad on the hot side even for me, the hotel was wonderful, exactly as the brochure had described, the staff were brill, had 14 wonderful meals out - there are so many restaurants you could be there for 3 months and not try them all out and didn't have a bad meal once.  The people are so friendly and welcoming.  We fell in love with the place as so many before us and will definitely be coming back next year, if I can afford it, might even have a week at the end of September.  You will have a wonderful time I am sure.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 09:39:48 PM »
Thanks for this Leigh,
Did you find that the information you got from the Forum before you went, helped you?
Cheers
Joan

Offline Leigh

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »
Hi Joan, yes found this site invaluable.  So much information available, it was great to walk into town at night and walk past all the restaurants and saying to my husband ooh that one had a really good review on Enjoy Kalkan, then 20 yards on, that one too etc etc.  I had read so much about the place that it was lovely to see it all in the flesh so to speak.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Recommending Blue Merlin Mezze & Fish Rest.

Started by DRBD on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 05:24:57 PM
by DRBD
xx
Kalkan on my mind!

Started by deepasforever1 on The Everything Else Area!

28 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 07:54:31 PM
by Potter
xx
Efes......don't mind if we do ;)

Started by kizzy on Holiday Reports and Reviews

14 Replies
Last post July 10, 2015, 09:52:30 PM
by kizzy
xx
Never mind Kalkan, footy season is nearly here!

Started by Potter on The Everything Else Area!

26 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 09:33:26 AM
by Enişte

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal