Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Parking in town.  (Read 4301 times)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Parking in town.
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
Just read an article on KTLN about parking changes in Kalkan. Apparently they have closed the carpark by the roundabout and taxi rank which I suspect is the one we usually use which you could access via the road down to where the Lounge was situated. They reported that the land is owned by the newly refurbished school but they intend in future to open a new carpark in town. Just wondering how the parking situation is at the moment as we don't really like parking at the roadside unless it's just to pop for a minute maybe into Yali's. We are not out there until august bank holiday so hopefully they will have sorted the new carpark, well you can only hope  ::)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11195.0

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Parking in town.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
Parking is a haphazard, chaotic nightmare.  Closure of the main parking lot should have been done after the summer season.  Lack of planning or concern about results.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »

Cosetta

Which do you think it is...lack of concern about what happens...or lack of planning and foresight ??

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
Mostly the latter.  But either way, 'tis extremely inconvenient.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »
Lack of consideration from a lot of the drivers also is a problem re parking eg., double parking, parking at odd angles, taking up more than one space, just park anywhere without any thought for others, market day is a nightmare for example, we live on a narrow no through road, they even park there. !!!   
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »
Thanks all,  had a feeling it would be chaotic, it wasn't exactly ideal when the carpark was in use. I agree some people are inconsiderate just dumping their vehicles anywhere not caring if they block others in. We generally use the jeep for trips out and try to only park in town if we need  to buy heavy groceries. We are lucky in that we are just five minutes walk to the start of the Kalamar road just up the slope past Bread & More just a stonesthrow from Chopstix. The market is a bit further up the steep hill but rather than try and park if it's chaos we'll be walking it, although we tend to go there late afternoon when the crowds have lessened and of course we can pop in Omar's Kitchen and have a couple of ice cold Efes on the trek back.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »
Omar's is no longer there. He has moved up to the bus station.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »
Didn't know that Chickengeorge, anyone got his old place now?  Just looked up his new place, good reviews on tripadvisor, not surprised we always had a good meal and a warm welcome by Omar and his lovely polite family. Will definitely give it a try this year will make a change from having a night out further down the village. Anyone remember Suhleman and his hats who used to do the greeting? What a character he was used to wind me up something rotten never knew when he was joking or serious,  ended up bumping into him last year and having a drink in the  Moonlight, tried to convince me the glasses of Raki and water he was drinking were actually milk, as if   ::)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:28:57 PM by clara 50 »

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 04:08:58 PM »
Restaurant called Ata. They were very good as well and 5tl for efes or glass of wine. It's a bit off topic so before i get told off, parking is terrible in Kalkan!

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
We used to be able to walk past Samira Gardens across that piece of land and come out by the taxi rank. Saved quite a bit of walking. does anyone know if there will be a short cut pedestrian access anymore?

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »
Thanks Chickengeorge, yes you're right we're rambling, back on the parking topic.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 08:46:22 AM »
Parking has been a real problem in Kalkan for years and will only get worse now.No planning and people just leaving their cars anywhere,its even difficult on walk on pavements.Too many cars and scooters everywhere.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
I agree with even pavement walking being difficult in places. I've been on crutches since January, and getting around in KK has been very challenging. I manage to cope with the crumbling steps, and slippy slopes going down to the harbour, but little things - which would not bother an able-bodied person - send me flying. The astroturfed bit of carpet on the pavement outside the Rainbow restaurant on the main road is treacherous, yet even when I manage to hobble down the steep kerb to bypass this, it's almost impossible to squeeze between the tightly parked scooters and cars to take the 'safer' option of walking in the road.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
Christina the crutches must make it a nightmare for you. Ì am able bodied and am terrified of the slippy rough slopes as my hubby says I could trip over the pattern in the carpet. I agree about the astroturf it's so slidey. We have found it difficult to squeeze through parked vehicles especially when loaded up with big bags of groceries and they park so haphazardly you have difficulty seeing the traffic so you can cross. As for walking along the side of the road, lethal, the scooters come that close they almost touch your legs and you can feel the breeze as they speed past. Looks like we'll be having even more fun and games trying to park this year especially as my hubby is a very fussy and cautious parker. Looks like the jeep will be left outside the villa more this year unless we go out on our daily exploring jaunts. Never had groceries delivered before, anyone know if  yali's, Migro's etc deliver and do they charge? Apologies from going off at a tangent from my original post but it seems quite relevant to the parking problem.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »
I think I'd rather have chaos with parking than the "Can't leave that there, it's 15mm too far from the kerb - here's a £80 fine" we have in the UK.  Let's face it, it's part of the charm(?!) of not being in the UK.

As for rambling, isn't that what a forum's about?  One of the threads I am on on LinkedIn has gone off subject so many times the regulars describe it as an online pub!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
Yes, Yali supermarket does do free delivery. When I get to the checkout, I ask politely if someone might be free to deliver my shopping, and (in low season at any rate) they let you hop in the van alongside them, and drive you straight to your door. Perfect arrangement for me as I'm on my own and have walking difficulties. If only they would do the same at my local Co-op in Manchester.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
Very sensible, using unused waste land to provide more parking places offroad and of course the parking fee will hopefully benefit the school funds.  Seems to me a good idea all round.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Parking

Started by Kalkan-Fan on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 11:45:55 PM
by Cheesecake
xx
Parking in Kalkan?

Started by Csardas on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 12:29:14 PM
by Csardas
xx
Parking your car at Gatwick

Started by lindyloubluecat on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 06:43:04 AM
by Speed Freak!
xx
Airport Parking

Started by Pebble on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 04:35:43 PM
by Pebble

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Harbour

Views: 4899
By: KALKANITE
Market Day