Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Owning a Boat  (Read 9668 times)

Offline Layla

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Owning a Boat
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:15:37 PM »
Hello  :) Can anyone tell me whether a ''foreigner'' can own and ''captain'' a little (outboard motor) type boat and use it for visiting coves and (very) amateur fishing in Kalkan without hiring a ''captain'' every time I want to go for a potter.  I hear it''s all a bit bureaucratic  :(  Layla x

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1561.0

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Owning a Boat
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »
Hi
What a fab question, something I have been thinking of myself recently!
Em
Em

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
Em1 you must have better things to think of surely
However owning a boat in Turkey for a Foreigner is very very bureaucratic and expensive  and the system seems designed to discourage it and to hire the locals ;D
So unless you intend using it on a very regular basis or are rich maybe stick to hiring

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
Hello to the cat called Kevin!
I thought that would be the answer! Can UK people own a inflatable boat ( with or without an engine)?
Today I am poor, but as it is my turn to win the lottery tomorrow, I will be rich!
Em

Offline Layla

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 07:01:29 PM »
Sadly I''m not very rich (your response ended abruptly, but presume that''s where you were going).  Perhaps rather than make judgements it would just be useful to have some local knowledge, that way I can take a view on whether it''s possible or not.  As a single female, I don''t really want to have to hire, what would undoubtedly be a male ''captain'', every time I wanted to potter.  Thanks so much. Layla x

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:47:25 AM »
It is easy to own a boat in Turkey as though it is expensive and for any boat you need a captains licence and you will need a fishing licence that you have to get from Antalya that you also need a residence pass for as indeed you would to own a boat in the first place.
You would have to pay to register your boat in kas or fetiye the cost depends on the size as does the cost of keeping it in the harbour.
You could not use it for anything other than pleasure. You need a basic licence for a boat up to 9m that you get in England on a 2 day course which is about £250ish. If you do buy one be sure to get the papers checked first.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »
It is easy to own a boat in Turkey as though it is expensive and for any boat you need a captains licence and you will need a fishing licence that you have to get from Antalya that you also need a residence pass for as indeed you would to own a boat in the first place.
You would have to pay to register your boat in kas or fetiye the cost depends on the size as does the cost of keeping it in the harbour.
You could not use it for anything other than pleasure. You need a basic licence for a boat up to 9m that you get in England on a 2 day course which is about £250ish. If you do buy one be sure to get the papers checked first.
  Hi,  Do you do the course in England or in Turkey ?    Having a boat in Kalkan harbour just sounds sooooooo good.....dont you think ?
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:46:50 PM »
you do it in England

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »
There is a Captain''s licence course available in Fethiye but you would need good Turkish to follow what was being taught.

Lantana

Offline the kaptain

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:01:11 PM »
An International Certificate of Competence can be carried out in English in either Fethiye or Gocek. Only applies to British subjects or other nationalities that have a bona fide UK address.

Contact me for further information.

Offline Kalkankiwi

• KK
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 10:55:35 PM »
Is it correct that you need to have residency to own a small boat in Turkey? I am a regular visitor and would like to be able to borrow, hire or even buy a small RIB or similar to do some local exploring, picnicing or fishing. What are the rules about buying? Where might I buy a such a boat be it a RIB or a dinghy with a small outboard? Is it possibe to hire boats locally in either Kalkan or Kas?

Any further advice on this topic would be appreciated.

KK

Offline Layla

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:04:54 AM »
As I understand it boats don''t come for hire without hiring the ''captain'' as well, hence the problem.  The way round it appears complex because it''s not just a case of having or studying for the captain''s licence but one of residency also.  There was one posting earlier that suggested residency wasn''t necessarily part of the package . . . .  I suspect the system is designed to discourage too much foreign independence which is a shame as there''s an awfully big coastline out there to be discovered. Layla x

Offline chinacat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: -1
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »
EnjoyKalkan Safety

Post Removed

Reason - Unsubstantiated claims
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:23:30 AM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline ade

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
We are due back in August and are renting a villa which came with the use of a small boat with outboard motor.......the rules were that we would have to have a licence from the UK in order to use it. However a couple of weeks ago we were told by the tour company that the boat would no longer be available as ''the rules had changed''. So am none the wiser but the sea around Kalkan will be a lot safer..........

Offline chinacat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: -1
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »
Layla.

Have to say that knowing the right people will always guarantee a boat. Why do you think the Mayor is up for re-election? Just a thought on the wierd and wonderful ways of Kalkan.

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 08:22:49 AM »
Chinacat
 Your comments are insulting and completely unsubstantiated. If you really believe that everyone in Kalkan is out to ''screw the tourist'' (or foreign resident) why do you come here? In one sweeping statement you not only malign the boat owners here but also the Turkish authorities.

I know of nobody here who has taken boat trips who doesn''t agree that the experience is wonderful and offers very good value for money.

The regulations regarding boat ownership and captain''s licences are not as you seem to imagine dreamt up locally. These are National regulations, part of government statutes. They apply throughout Turkey and to Turks and foreigners alike. Their purpose is not to ''screw you'' but to improve health and safety. The new regulations were introduced after a tragic boating accident in Bodrum when a number of foreigners were killed.

You need a licence  to prove you are competent to drive before you  take a car on the road, why should a boat be any different? Even in the relative calm waters around Kalkan, there are frighteningly strong currents, sudden squalls and dangers for the unskilled and unsuspecting person who just wants to ''laze around in a boat''

It is rare to see such xenophobic reactions as yours on this site. Since you do seem to believe that elements of Turkish society are out to get you, perhaps you would be better staying at home - where incidentally rules and regulations designed to improve safety also apply.

Lantana

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
Well said Lantana

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
Chinacat
Even i haven''t had a post removed

Offline micmac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
Well it seems that a simple enquiry about the legality of owning a boat has started a bit of a debate. I was ignorant of the legal position of owning and operating a boat in Turkey and I am indebted to those who have made the position clear.

I have a sympathy with the Turkish position regarding the certification of boat operators with a view to the safety of all marine users. I live on an island that has a substantial tourist occupation many of whom bring high powered speed boats and jet ski''s and as a sailor myself I am frequently amazed at the careless and dangerous misuse of power craft. ::)

As the law stands in the UK it is possible to own and use a very high powered craft without any training or qualification, a recipe for disaster. The local council operate a registration scheme which ensures that craft over a certain h.p. are insured.
This is of limited use as although boat users will be insured they may not necessarily be competent.

It would be nice to take out a small craft with a 2 or 3 h.p. engine to fish , etc and I understand why a single lady might not wish to charter, but the standard of skippers that I have sailed with in Turkey is very good and the costs are reasonable especially if there are several people involved.
I would hate to have the peace and safety of Kalkan shattered by the high speed lunatics that we put up with here.
I guess the philosophy should be...''When in Rome''... ;)

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »
Micmac
You are better off renting or finding some one who has a small out board that will take you out for the day.
It is not just the boat papers and licence you need a fishing licence too. Also it is easy to get caught out by sudden storms that can and do blow up in a bay that has strong currents. The biggest problem is the lack of fish.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
when the boat comes in !

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2019, 02:28:57 PM
by brian j p
xx
Another day another Boat

Started by ScotsinKalkan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 05:54:05 PM
by lorilou
xx
Boat help

Started by Jmsuch on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

18 Replies
Last post August 26, 2016, 04:54:09 PM
by cptergun
xx
New Zeus Boat

Started by Charlie on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 01:06:07 PM
by Rachey

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal