Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Our first trip to Kalkan  (Read 6974 times)

Offline Tinsletravellers

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Our first trip to Kalkan
« on: June 06, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »
This is going to be our first trip to Kalkan and we will be arriving the second week of August. We are staying at the Olympus apartments in Kormuluk, has anyone stayed there before and if so what are they like? We have two 11 year old children who both love swimming so we expect them to have a great time but are there any other activities for them to do?
Also can we use UK debit cards?
 8)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3626.0

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Re: Our first trip to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
You will be in a great location!    Try the Kalamar Beach Club, they have a very good scuba diving centre
where you can go on a beginners dive for £25 (was last year). I went on it with my daughter and her partner and it was great, very safe and professional. You get to stand on the sea bed and feed the fishes by hand. You have 2 forays out into the briny accompanied by an instructor. If they haven''t done it before I''m sure your children will love it. Cheers, Allan.  :)
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline Tinsletravellers

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the update Allan.
We have been looking at various websites and Kalkan looks fantastic we can''t wait to get there and the kids are counting down the weeks. We have heard Kormuluk is about 15-20 minutes from the town, is that about right.
Have you or anyone else been on any boat trips from the harbour, are they value for money.
What is Kalkan like for being pestered by the restauranteurs, I last went to Turkey (Marmaris) about 15 years ago and it was quite bad then.
Thanks
 8)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »
Hi Tinsletravellers.
Firstly you can use UK debit cards. In answer to your other questions I am sure your children would love a trip to Saklikent Gorge, it''s a great day out and lots of the local tour companies do organised trips. As for the boat trips, they all seem to be a similar price for a private charter which we have done in the past. However there is quite a large Gulet (sorry can''t remember the name) that does trips with a larger amount of people and this is much cheaper, it''s also a nice way of getting to meet fellow holiday makers.I would say whatever you decide to do the boat trips are very good value for money. A fabulous lunch is included in the price along with afternoon tea and cake and it is just such a lovely relaxing way to spend the day.
As for hassle, it''s not on the same level as Marmaris. Most restaurants have greeters who stand outside and who will ask you to look at their menu, we have usually found a polite "maybe another time" to suffice and have not been hassled.
Hope this helps.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »
Hi Tinsletravellers - yes Kormurluk is about 15-20 mins walking into town (nearer 20 mins if you allow for two 11 year-olds dragging their feet  ;D) Bit longer coming back as it''s uphill to the Kas Road. If you are going to embark on walking back of an evening, pack a little Maglite. Once you get off the Kas Road (which is well lit), depending on where your villa is, you have to rely on property security lighting for the paths.
Great location choice!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Tinsletravellers

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »
Thanks for the info guys it''s really appreciated. We leave 9 weeks today so it still feels quite a way off yet although the kids insisted on buying sun tan lotion over the weekend. Roll on August..!!
N,M,T&G (the Tinsletravellers)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
crikey, I buy our sun tan lotion in January...as soon as Boots clear away the christmas rubbish....9 weeks before you go is leaving it late in my strange world ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tinsletravellers

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »
hi
I am one of the 11 year olds and i am looking forward to going on holiday!! ;D
My step brother is the other 11 year old and we are both wondering if there will be plenty for us to do?
How hot will it be in August and will the sea be warm? ::)
Thanks
G

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »
We were there in August last year and are coming out again on the 10th August for 2 weeks. Last year it was in the high 30''s or low 40''s depending on who you listened to!

Offline Tinsletravellers

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:18:51 PM »
Thats the same day that we are going but only for 10 days :D
As you have been before is it as good as it looks?
G

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
Hi G
we came in August a couple of years ago and it was roasting...the sea is still cold, but warmer than it is right now - but it''s lovely to get in the sea because its so hot outside. If you have a swimming pool that''s in the sun, that will be like getting into a bath later on in the afternoon ;D
There''s loads to do at places like Kalamar Beach Club - free trampoline in the sea and pedalos - the other water sports activities aren''t cheap so offer to do some chores around the house now to fund your trips on the ringos when you''re in Kalkan  ;D I''m sure you''ll make loads of friends as there seemed to be a lot of young people in Kalkan in August when we went.
You''ll have a great time!

Offline Tinsletravellers

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »
Thanks for the info!!
We have got a swimming pool at the apartment we are staying at so we will look forward to having a warm bath!!! ;D
thanks again
G

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 06:43:53 PM »
Tinsletravellers,

After a gap of many years we found going back to Kalkan a great experience and our 11 year old really had a great time so I an sure you will have a wonderful holiday. The Sea is great and a day on a gulet is a great idea. Beach clubs good, we generally went to Indigo for convienience. Food and Wine are plentyful so all in all top rated.

Scott

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Restaurant and boat trip reviews from our recent trip....

Started by elainecris on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2011, 07:37:19 PM
by Skunk
xx
Kekova trip and jeep safari trip?

Started by HolmfirthNicky on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

12 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 05:59:12 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
Trip from Kalkan

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 08:54:01 AM
by Sandancer
xx
Just back from 1st trip to Kalkan!

Started by Jess on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 10:20:01 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal