Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mozzie Busters?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Mozzie Busters?
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
Any sign of the Mozzie Busters yet?....Mrs L gets a bad reaction to the bites,despite my deft Flippen Floppen action and my selection of knock em down sprays(Raid ..good stuff!) Coupled with Boots Repel and Kov lotions sometimes they get past.... ::)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9399.0
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:09:10 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Mozzie Busters?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »
Can't suggest any better repellents apart from anything with as much DEET as you can get.

However, if you're bitten, try a Zapper (Boots - other versions are available); it's a piezo electric thingy which suppresses the hystamin production at the site of a bite.  Click it a few times at the site as soon as possible, repeat later if necessary - seems to work alarmingly well at repressing the itch.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »
BL - I think I saw a comment a couple of weeks ago that the mozzie busters had been round.  I get a really bad reaction to them as well so Mrs L has my sympathy.  I will try and find it. S :o ::)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »
If you look back on previous posts on this subject I am sure you will see some of us recommend taking antihistamine tablets.   Preferably for about two weeks before you go and continue to have one a day while you are in Kalkan.   I am a magnet for mozzies so anticipate being bitten despite all the Deet I put on.   Have bad reactions to the bites normally  but since trying the antihistamine route the bites never seem to have been anywhere near as bad.

I also really like the After Bite pens.  They contain ammonia,

I won't list all the things I use - I am a walking chemists shop when it comes to mozzie bites but I think the antihistamine tip is particularly good.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »
Good tip TL - I will try it this year.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
 I used to get bitten a lot a couple of years ago but  then someone suggested Avon skin so Soft. I now put this on after a shower and just dab a little normal mossie spray around the ankles.

I also take my allergy pilll prescribed by the doctor for  sun rashes so not sure what actually does the trick.

However, I still get bothered by those pesky olive flies biting my head!!! Nothing seems to ward them off.

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »
Top Cat at KTLN says he has seen the mossie-busters working recently!  :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
Some people recommend Head and Shoulders anti dandruff shampoo to ward off the olive flies.   Other people say the only thing is to keep the head covered!  I believe the olive flies are more numerous at certain times of the year.   Might be worth trying the Head and Shoulders although won't help with the mozzies.

I did read a report somewhere I am sure saying Skin So Soft doesn't really don't work for the mozzies; deet (50%) is the only deterrent.  Skin So Soft though is presumably really nice for the skin.   Don't let me put anyone off using it but with Deet as well, and the antihistamines.   Some antihistamine cream as well to put on when you do get bitten.   I said I was a walking chemist's shop.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »
On KTLN top cat has written that the mozzie busters have been out doing their stuff recently.  :) :)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

A Belediye man with a spray was out in Kalamar this morning - but no sightings of the mass cull from vehicles yet

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
thanks all! i take antihistamine as i get hayfever..little beggars still bite me i just don't come up in a huge lump like mrs L... just an itchy dot .......When in Kalkan i like my 5 a day..thats 5 dead flying biters !!!! ;D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »
At the last travel health course I attended as part of my job, the speaker said that skin so soft has no insect repellent properties, however, the reason why it's effective is because it's oil based, the pesky blighters get stuck in the oil slick and drown before they've had chance to bite!!  :o I always advise my patients to stick with DEET as a first line prevention but feel free to combine this with any alternative therapies they wish ie marmite, skin so soft, b12 etc etc. antihistamine is fine but it can make you sleepy and not fab combined with alcohol. I always take a tube of  hydrocortisone cream to apply on the bites and an after bite pen too. This always seems to work for me. Apparently mozzies love sweaty feet, the cheesier the better!!!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »
Great info Lizilu thanks  8) :-*

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
Thanks skunk, hope it helps, by the way, I meant vit b1 (thiamine) not B12!!  ::)

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
I put citronella essential oil in my sun cream and after sun cream, about 20 drops per bottle, along with the Sin Kov at night time, nothing is foolproof but as said earlier they are attracted to the foot smell so concentrate on feet and ankles. Apparently they are also attracted to beer on breath and the colour blue.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
I put citronella essential oil in my sun cream and after sun cream, about 20 drops per bottle, along with the Sin Kov at night time, nothing is foolproof but as said earlier they are attracted to the foot smell so concentrate on feet and ankles. Apparently they are also attracted to beer on breath and the colour blue.

So the Blue Lizard's got no chance. Heh heh.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 08:08:27 PM »
The mozzie busters are out and about!

Offline Athena

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »
For the past 3 years I have used only Skin So Soft (Blue) and now rarely get any mozzie bites.  Avon used to do a after sun with a mozzie repellent in it but now they recommend the Skin So Soft as it has Citronella in the lotion.   

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
If you look at previous threads on this subject you will see I've tried anything and everything mostly at the same time as like Mrs Lizard I get a horrible reaction to bites. I now stick to Deet - the stronger the better (Boots silver repel is the best) Off and Sinkov are good when you run out of Boots stuff. I also take antihistamanes - one a day non-drowsy. The year I tried Skin so Soft was the worst I've ever been bitten plus I nearly broke my kneck in the bathroom on more than one occasion after spraying myself with this ::) ::)
My BH never gets bitten and his feet can be pretty wiffy and he's an Efes drinker so perhaps they're aiming for him and stop at me on the way ;D
I always find once I've been bitten, its like a magnet for other mozzies - they're like homing bites :P
Good to know the Mozzie Busters are doing their duty
Are the Olive flies about? They can be just as bad :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
Well!!! Beer breath and Blue? as bubbles say thats me b******d then!! but at less my feet are fragrant little peaches :angel:
As a warning ..the stronger the deet content the more likely it will take dye out of stuff as also will Kov etc..my watch strap melted(rubber divers watch) and gave me a black arm..now i only take a cheap watch as it gets sand in and oil on the face..also the dye will come off your flippies and sandals if not careful  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mozzie Busters

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2019, 05:39:48 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Mozzie Busters

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 07:14:26 AM
by kevincat99
xx
Mozzie Busters

12 Replies
Last post June 28, 2017, 07:21:32 PM
by Maitch
xx
Mozzie Bites!

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

36 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 04:32:27 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal