Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mosquitos  (Read 6719 times)

Offline AlbionFan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Mosquitos
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »
Hi

Is there a mozzy problem in Kalkan?

We have been to Corfu and have had to douse ourselves with the Boots mozzy repellnt in the evefrom dusk. If so is there a locl rpllent out there?

As regards indoors our place has a/c so I guess we do need those plug in thingummies.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9746.0

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Mosquitos
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
I have to say I'm usually on the mozzies menu, but this time I have only had the odd bite, which has been great, and without covering myself in strong repellents!
Isis

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:26 PM »
We always take a mossie plugin for the room and we take Jungle formula to put on at night and they tend to leave us alone.
Nicky

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
Agree with HolmfirthNicky, plug ins and Jungle are effective.  :)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
I'm usually a main course on the mossie menu :) but this year (2 weeks in June) I didn't get a single bite. We obviously used the plug ins and a mixture of Off! Jungle Formula and other repellents with Deet but some years even these don't cut the mustard with me. I also wore dresses which I haven't been able to do for ages - it was just too hot for the long linen trousers! Maybe the mossies all got burned off ;D

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »
Hi Albion Fan
If you put Mossies into the Search facility at the top of the page all the previous threads about mossies will come up. There are lots of great hints and tips on how to repel the monsters from SinOff to bashing them with a flippenfloppen!!  >:D

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 05:23:03 PM »
7 of us got back last night and have to say that we all used different methods of mozzie control:

some just sprayed
some used Jungle Formula Max roll-on
I used Jungle Formula Max roll-on + plug-in & daily Marmite (Marmite orally but might have been better spreading it on!)

Sadly all of us were bitten to varying degrees! It was interesting to see the various degrees of reaction though. From red lumps and minor irritation to painful blisters to bruise-like blotched.

I think it's just the luck of the draw.

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
I've never used a mosquito plug in Kalkan and although I sometimes take repellent with me, I don't think I've ever once remembered to use it.  I think I've only ever been bitten a couple of times there and that's only when I've spent time in very green, wooded areas with lots of plants.

It's the only warm place I've ever holidayed in and not been covered in bites!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »
bitten to excess last month...I used Tesco's own repellent (50% deet) and I wouldn't recommend it. Even BH who never gets bitten had around 20 bites. We sat in Mozzie Corner at Moonlight one night and I think because there's lots of foliage where we stayed we were bitten there too. The situation improved when we bought Off Max - bit more expensive, but worth it.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
Got back last night and was bitten a few times - maybe 10 or so, OH about 20 which is an improvement on last year.  However, ours were not mossie bites but the olive/fruit fly.  Some members may think they have mossie bites when some are in fact down to the olive fly - tell tale signs are a small red dot which increases in size to a small red blotch and a couple of days later grows to a point and is filled with liquid.  Some can swell the surrounding area and be quite painful, others not so. They seem more active during the day especially around pool areas with nearby olive trees.  Didn't get any along my hair parting this time though thanks to the combination of my hat and good old Head and Shoulders shampoo. Have yet to find any other repellent that works.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 11:09:38 PM »
K4E - is Max Off available in Kalkan?  Getting really scared now - normally what I use protects me but if I get one it swells to about 20p piece size, massive swelling, redness and very slow healing.  Some from 3 years ago still showing.  Any help from anyone greatly appreciated.  :o :o :o ??? ::) :'(

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »
Hi skunk, mozzies are the pits aren't they!! You should have seen us last year in Barbados, we looked like we had the pox!!! It doesnt seem to matter how much DEET you slap on, they still seem to find a way through!! All you can do is arm yourselves with enough repellent to sink a ship and treat the bites with anything which will reduce the inflammation and reduce the itch and pray the bites  dont become infected. I personally find hydrocortisone cream/ointment really helps to reduce any swelling, also antihistames help. We also have a urea dab on thing called after bite, which we picked up somewhere on our travels that really seems to work. Try not to scratch and drink lots of alcohol to numb the pain!!! Above all, don't worry and have a fab holiday!!!!  :) ;D :)  :-*

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
Ahhh, I take anti-histamines every day, all year round for allergies....I wonder if that's why I don't seem to notice any bites in Kalkan? I used to be covered in them when I was younger. I have read that if you start taking anti-histamines 2 weeks before your holiday, then every day while you are there, it can greatly help minimise any reaction to bites.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »
Thank you for all the tips - I plan to do the antihistamines this year as haven't tried that before. I will go and see the pharmacist at my local Boots as well as she may know some tips and products which work better than others.   I think a lot of the products tend to come and go a bit like nit treatments - the mozzies get accustomed to them and then they don't work as well as before.  I think with all the humidity this year in UK they have been more rampant than usual.  ::) ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »
Skunk, Off Max is available in Yali. Its in an orange tin as opposed to the white tin and costs about 8tl. It does say "Off Max" on the tin so you shouldn't miss it ;) After using that I only got one or two bites - like you mine swell up and look pretty disgusting, but I had fat feet, a comedy bandage and Kalkan hair, it was the least of my worries ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
Indeed.  I will give it a go. Cheers

Offline tillymint143

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »
Skunk, Off Max is available in Yali. Its in an orange tin as opposed to the white tin and costs about 8tl. It does say "Off Max" on the tin so you shouldn't miss it ;) After using that I only got one or two bites - like you mine swell up and look pretty disgusting, but I had fat feet, a comedy bandage and Kalkan hair, it was the least of my worries ;D

That just made me laugh K4E. You are funny.   ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
Any updates on  the Mozzie front out there?
B

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 06:32:23 AM »
Been here for 2 weeks and I've only been bitten once and OH not at all. The bite I got didn't cause any reaction other than a minor itch :)
After years of Mozzie horror due to awful allergic reaction, I now take an antithistimine daily for 2 weeks before I come out and every day while here. I use the local Sin Kov and Avon Skin So Soft and this combination works for me :D

Offline Honey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »
In Kalkan a fortnight ago & very unususal for me i didn't get one bite..Also wore dresses which i've always been afraid of wearing in the evenings as mozzies just love my legs.I used the tablets (with Loratadine) a month before we left & while we were there.Also the plug ins & Boots 50% deet spray which smells lovely by the way....We actually did not put up the mozzie net this time either.The big orange mozzie spraying machine was also out.It's so nice to come back without the blotches & plague like legs. ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
mosquitos

Started by michelle from newcastle on General Discussion

30 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:05:36 AM
by LancashireLass
xx
Mosquitos!!!

Started by Mustafa Raki on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 10:58:52 AM
by Em1
xx
mosquitos.....zzzzzzzzz!

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

34 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 12:46:27 PM
by Skiddy
xx
Re: Spraying -mosquitos

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 07:26:47 PM
by amber

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal