Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mobile Phones - Again!!!  (Read 3460 times)

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Mobile Phones - Again!!!
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:41:28 PM »
I know this subject has been mentioned before re. use of mobiles whilst in Kalkan, but in one ear and out the other!!!  UNTIL NOW!
For my recent weeks stay in Kalkan, all local calls, my bill was more than my  flight!!!!  Serves you right, I hear some people say, must agree.  Am returning in the New Year for one week,trying to research buying a Turkish Sim card, have read all sorts of horror stories on various web sites.  Will need to keep in touch with a friend,also in Kalkan, call taxi's etc. Short of investing in a couple of dozen of carrier pigeons, any ideas please ??? ??? ???

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8846.0

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
Re: Mobile Phones - Again!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »
I am not being  either sarcastic or judgemental  but how about trying living without your mobile for a week?

When I go to Turkey I don't take a phone!!!!  My friends can live without me for a couple of weeks, I can walk down the hill & find a taxi for the way back up.  No one knows where I am, I have a week or two off the planet!  That's what I call a holiday!!!  Try it!  Until about 12 (or so) years ago that's how we all had our hols - out of touch!! 

No one is that important that they need to be in touch 24/7!  Honestly!!

xx

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:01:08 AM »
Do you have a smart phone?  if so, you could download the free Skype app and then whenever you're in a wifi zone make incredibly cheap calls.  I got £10 Skype credit over 2 years ago and when in Kalkan phone home most nights whilst sipping an Efes in Yali Bar.  I still have £8.00 credit left!  Just make sure you switch off data roaming though.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »
Sally, I appreciate your comments, but the friend I need to keep in touch with will also be in Kalkan, but staying in a different apartment in another area of Kalkan.  Not interested in contacting England at all >:D >:D >:D

Rachey, I am a dinosaur re. mobiles, do not have a smart phone!!!!!  Back to the drawing board ::) ::) ::)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
The best is to buy a Turkish SIM card for TL 22.  My husband and many of our friends have been using these Turkcell SIM cards for many years.  We've never had any problem with them.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Bee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:23:08 AM »
Hi Maryjane,

Having recently just bought a Turkish Mobile, our understanding from Baris at the telephone shop just down from parc Kalkan or the shop at the top of town, is that you can have a Turkish sim card for a maximum of 3 weeks after which time it wil get blocked. This is to stop phones being bought in from other countries for long term use to avoid paying tax on the purchase. I think he said it was 25lira for the card. I don't know if he makes a charge to unblock the phone.

We have just paid 149lira for the phone, the cheapest and most basic Nokia, which included 35lira worth of calls.

:)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
Most people who come to Turkey regularly do buy a cheap, unlocked mobi in Turkey, then either have a friend periodically top it up so as not to lose that number, or buy a new number on their return.  If you have an old mobile from the UK, most likely you can find an online site that will give you the unlock code.  I have done this for 2 phones not bought in Turkey. Now I just switch SIM cards.

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
The solutions:

1. Buy a Turkish sim and Mobile

2. If you have residency or a Turkish passport you may 'unlock' one foreign mobile every 2 years, by going into a main agent (for example if you are a Turkcell customer go to a Turkcell Extra shop) with your passport with a stamp of entry in the last month. They will open it for use in Turkey for the cost of a few lira

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
The solutions:

1. Buy a Turkish sim and Mobile

2. If you have residency or a Turkish passport you may 'unlock' one foreign mobile every 2 years, by going into a main agent (for example if you are a Turkcell customer go to a Turkcell Extra shop) with your passport with a stamp of entry in the last month. They will open it for use in Turkey for the cost of a few lira

Presumably the phone has to be sim free in the UK to enable this? Or, would I be able to walk in with my iPhone, which is locked to the Orange UK network, and just get them to unlock it for use in Turkey?

At present I have a Samsung basic phone on Avia which is ok but, I miss all the things I can do on the iPhone. I paid 105TL from the main dealer in Fethiye last spring for it and that included replacing my previous Avia sim card and number and a 20TL top up.

My previous phone was an English Siemens basic model, which I had unlocked in the UK, and used for several years for 5-8 week stays without getting cut off. I have seen people say that UK phones are disabled if you try to use them for more than 3 weeks. Mine never was.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:51 AM »
Thank you everyone for your input, plenty of good advice which has helped me solve my problem  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 08:06:30 AM »
Wouldn't it be a great idea if you had a phone library (peoples old phones?)....you could just hire a basic mobile for your stay for a small fee?(nothing flash) you just topped it up and got your deposit back when you returned it... ??? 

also more rented villas/apartments are providing phones now as well ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »
BubblesG- Not sure on the 'locked into network'. Presumably you'd have to get it unlocked first to use a SIM other than your operators one. Pretty sure our phone hospitals here can do that. The chap up in Akbel fixed an Iphone for me which I thought was completely dead.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »
Thanks Mercimek, will store that nugget for future reference. I hope I don't need it though.

Offline Painter Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Data SIM cards
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
I would be grateful if any one could tell me if it is possible to buy "pay as you go " data SIM cards in Turkey suitable for an ipad. I want to avoid roaming and high 3G download costs when in Turkey. I of course will use internet connection where ever possible but the are are times that there is no alternative to 3G connectivity.
If it is possible, where can I buy one, also do they suffer the same problems as phone SIM cards, in that when installed in an unlocked UK phone they only work for a short time.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mobile Phones

Started by Griffo63 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 01:54:22 PM
by Timm
xx
mobile phones in kalkan

Started by craig3166 on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 02:52:16 PM
by pixie
xx
Mobile phones in turkey

Started by BarbH on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 04:46:55 PM
by Rockykalamar
xx
Mobile and phones and Ipads .

Started by Darcy on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 08:59:53 AM
by Kuzu

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal