Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: kalkan Changes  (Read 18152 times)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: kalkan Changes
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »
Kas Belediye doing a great job just now. Street bins being regularly emptied, workers sweeping the back streets in the old town, and clearing up the landscaped area behind the town beach today. Kalkan looks so beautiful at the moment - even in the rain.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
Looks like a load more clearing up to do ....check out KTLN report/pictures of damage caused by rain.
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
Just seen the Lipsos Facebook page with photos of torrents of brown running down cardiac hill towards the harbour, Autumn has certainly arrived with a splash.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »
Looks dreadful - hope there's not too much destruction!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 03:38:35 PM »
Terrible forces of nature at play in Kalkan over the past 24 hours. But I don't understand why the new roads are collapsing after only 6 months. I hope the contractor guaranteed the workmanship.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »
Have spent the best part of the day clearing up in our house due to flooding from the rain storm last night & again this morning, we must have had approx. 6 inches of rain over the period. Have been paddling in ankle deep water trying to keep the drains cleared in the garden, thank goodness for the respite later in the day so we could dry out a bit.  Kalkan certainly not Paradise at this time.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »
Have to say all the pictures and films I've seen today look terrible. I can only hope there isn't too much damage and things get back to normal as soon as possible. Strange to see the torrents of muddy water cascading down Cardiac Hill in brilliant sunshine.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »
sunshine this morning thank goodness give us chance to dry out, did need the rain but must admit in all the years have not seen seen so much come down & for quite a long period of time, usually shorter strong down pours, then sunshine then more over a longer time. Still better than those high winds. lovely morning here , very warm with just a hint of cloud, still a lot of roads etc to be repaired now, it looks greener on the mountain side that's for sure..

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
Kas Belediye out in force in town yesterday (Saturday) to clear up the carnage caused by the storms. There was the usual - one worker shovelling up debris outside Coast while four others watched - but at least progress was being made. Groups of workers also huddled on the roads putting back the hundreds of stone setts that had been washed away. One whole side of the newly laid carriageway has disappeared outside the PTT, and the concrete slope down from DoyDoy has a huge cordoned-off crater in it. Trouble is, all the sand has been washed out from between the stones of all the other cobbled streets as well, so the setts are all sitting like 'loose teeth' in the road. I imagine that further extensive work will be needed to secure these before the worst of the winter weather sets in. Meanwhile the layers of sand and grit are in themselves a slip hazard. Some gentle rain is back as I write.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 02:50:36 PM »
raining again but it has been good in between showers.   

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
Mmmmmm .. .. The repair to the carriageway opposite PTT/Minibar is not as seamless as I'd hoped. From a distance it resembles a ski jump. What construction methodology allows this to happen? Such a shame.

Offline chrisbluestar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 03:54:09 PM »
That I think is better repair than Moonlight bar down past Alternatif Restaurant to harbour. Replaced granite blocks are not set right ,and have not been filled in between,gaps and if you allow for settlement [that is if they not swept allow in next heavy rain] there will be big craters..

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
Why weren't they cemented in last Spring when the work was completed?

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
No one should be surprised about the way in which the new roads have disintegrated after the recent downpour.  This isn't the first time new roads in Kalkan  have collapsed and wont be the last.  If you were around early  this year when they were laying the new cobbles then the speed at which they completed the works was a big clue. The total lack of a suitable sub base is why they are now collapsing. The sand they used as the sub base is being washed away down the many hills, most likely to block drains! Unfortunately the rush to get the Old Town open for the start of this season has come at a cost. Regrettably the repairs now being carried out are just as bad!!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 05:58:14 PM »
This makes me worry about the proposed plans for the harbour area. I understand completely why the work needs to be done but the potential for getting it wrong is enormous. Before the storms the new roads looked great, but they need to stand up to the weather conditions.
While in Kalkan a couple of weeks ago we frequently talked about how beautiful the area between Kleo and the harbour is. Fener cafe is so picturesque with all the trees built around it will be such a shame to see it go especially as it is used by many of the locals. Fingers crossed that whatever takes place is sympathetic and done to a high standard!  ::)

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
How right you are Happy Days, we were here in April/May and watched them lay the cobbles, so obvious what was going to happen when the rains came, and so sad.  We are near the White House Hotel and there is a crater appearing there.

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »
I was there last Friday outside the Samira and watched cobbles rolling down the road, pushed along by a river of red sand. Within minutes, the sea had turned red as well. The word "biblical" came to mind! It's still only October! At this rate there'll be nothing left by next season!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Time to bring in the professionals before the roads are out of commission twice in the same season!

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
It's is too late for that, the professionals would want to take up the roads/pavements and relay them on a hardcore base.

Running repairs will be the way forward. Still repairs shouldn't take too long. Last October while having lunch at Ali Baba's we watched them lay the 10m of road outside the restaurant in about 50mins, straight onto a bed of sand and all held in place by a bit more sand.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
it is usual in the UK to bed it in with a sand and cement mix which is also swept into the cracks on finishing and lightly watered to set it..But that's the UK!! Where it takes 10 times as long and 10 times the amount of tea and cheese and pickle sandwiches consumed so I imagine cost is also factored in.Also the delay that put things back by a considerable amount of time and the rush to get things done for the start of the season I guess has to factored.I think now this is here to stay as water will only go into the pipes underneath if it can go nowhere else..The hillsides natural barriers have vanished by and large due to development and it will just continue to roll down hill when kalkan gets a deluge .I thought it looked very nice in june but I guess you never know what is happening underneath while you are enjoying yourself above in the dry heat of summer :D ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:28:47 PM by blue lizard »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
Hi Kalkan...

Started by Ozgur on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 11:03:59 AM
by Ozgur
recycled
Where to eat in Kalkan??

Started by ktp1984 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 09:50:36 AM
by hel66

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal