Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: is it easy to drive to Fethiye  (Read 3799 times)

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
is it easy to drive to Fethiye
« on: July 02, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »
Hi All , was wondering what the drive to Fethiye is like and how long it will take from Kalkan . also when is the market on and whats the parking like there. Is there anything else I should know or does anyone have any good tips whilst there cheers Craig

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3774.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: is it easy to drive to Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »
it''s about 1hr 15 mins to Fethiye center,(you will pass through the outskirts on the way from Dalaman)Tuesday is market day ,you can get a bus from Kalkan which we find a far easier option ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »
Is that an hour and fifteen on the bus or by car. is the market worth the visit or is the kalkan market just as good ,thanks craig

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57:28 PM »
The drive to Fethiye is easy enough - I''ve done it a couple of times, only just having hired a car in Kalkan for the first time last November and not having driven abroad for several years.  It took less than an hour.  You just need to spot the turn-off on the left from the main road and keep going straight for a long time and eventually you will get to a large car park on the right-hand side which is easy enough to use - pay on exit at the window.  However I wouldn''t say that the market is worth a special journey.  I went to see friends who live there not for the market.

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:24:26 AM »
It''s a straightforward drive, takes no more than an hour. I''ve done it loads of times and never had any problems.

I go on Tuesdays for the market as there is a huge choice particularly for fresh produce and cheaper if you go into the covered produce hall away from the entrance. Follow this up with lunch at the fish market which is further down the main road towards the harbour area. Lunch here really makes the day worthwhile. Choose the fish you want to eat and have one of the restaurants cook it for you plus you can always take some back to Kalkan with you, there''s so much more choice.  At the market, you can park anywhere there is a space. I never bother with the car park as there always seems to be a space fairly close by.

For the fish market drive down as far as Carrefour (right hand side of the road), turn left at the junction and park the car in any of the parking slots on the road. You''ll be approached by a parking guy asking appx how long you''ll be. Pay him when you get back - simple.

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »
Thanks all whats it like to buy at the market , do they do the bartering thing when you try to walk away and is there anything else to do in fethiye .cheers craig

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:15:53 AM »
While driving on the main road is fairly quick, why not try a detour and see a bit of the country.Take the back way to Saklikent (Out to Akbel, take the Islamlar turn off, from Islamlar take a left turn out to Uzumlu.
Follow signs to Saklikent).Leave Saklikent head towards Kemer and then Oren (very rural Turkey and incredibly green) Two or three miles before Oren is a left turnoff to yet another Uzumlu, this takes you through Cadianda before dropping down into Uzumlu. There is a very big road which will take you into Fethiye.It will take about twice as long but is just a bit cooler going through the mountains.

If you decide against a detour then please be aware that there is nearly always a police speed check after the Kemer turn off, often near Zorlar but sometimes closer to Fethiye.

The market at Fethiye is a bit like the market at Kalkan only ten times as big, There is more fruit and veg than you can imagine. If it is a hot day it can be a nightmare because its sooo busy and its sooo hot under the canvas. Fethiye is a town of over 70,000 and they all seem to be at the market.The harbour front is really nice to walk along, looking at the boats or going on a trip. The bazaar near the harbour has lots of shops with traditional and modern. Lots of cafes, bars and restaurants.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
Yes bartering is expected....it''s always a good ploy to say no thank you when you have reached your final price if they won''t budge and walk away (slowly) if they want you they will call you back! remember to keep good humoured it will get you a long way!!we also like the harbour area in Fethiye ;)

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
It''s even worth a short detour just to Saklikent to have coffee at one of the little places near the gorge - it''s an easy route - turn at the sign and just keep on that road until you see the restaurants.  It''s a right turn if you''re heading towards Fethiye and left if you''re coming back.

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
many thanks to everyone again for all your comments and tips only 6 days now , just one more question about the market, are the clothes cheap as i dont intend bringing huge amounts with us and was thinking of getting some shirts and shorts there , the wife also has big ideas for our spending money so wanted to get in quick !!  Craig

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »
Most of the men''s clothes are cheap fakes poor quality but might last you the two weeks  ;D 

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 07:13:13 AM »
Hi Craig 3166

My husband has jeans, t shirts and shoes all bought at Kalkan, Fethiye or Kas markets in the last few years. They wash and wear well.  Jeans are particularly good value and virtually every stall has a screened off area where you can try things on before you buy.

I don''t find the markets particularly good for women''s clothes as I don''t wear branded t shirts but I do get jeans there and sometimes cotton tops and dresses. For teenagers of both sexes, there is  a great selection.

Shoes and sandals for men and women are a good buy at all the markets.

In general the prices are reasonable but not as cheap as somewhere like Primark  - but you will be buying something with  a designer label which is hard to distinguish from the original.

Turkey manufactures huge amounts of clothes for the European markets at every level - so a lot of the British high street chains have their clothes made here - I regularly buy Per Una t shirts at an outlet here for an average price of £5 and many well known designer brands manufacture here, so the clothes you buy here are oten not fakes as such but extra runs from original orders.

You will also find ''designer'' watches for about £20.00 (mine is still going well after three years and on the original battery) ''designer'' sunglasses and leather goods of all kinds from handbags to belts.

In Kalkan there are a number of womens clothes shops - several of which have opened this year and they have great clothes at very good prices.

If you are going to Fethiye then there are two trips you can do whilst there which are a must see if you have time, the first is in Fethiye itself, visit the Lycian tombs carved into the mountain side - a four thousand year old piece of history amazingly well preseved - see link http://www.pbase.com/dosseman/image/29766723

The second is  a visit to Kayakoy, the ghost village and the setting for Louid de Bernieres book ''Birds without Wings''  It is an amazig place to visit and has a good selection of restaurants and even a winery - more info at http://www.fethiye-guide.com/blog/visit/kayakoy-rock-village

Lantana

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »
excellent thanks for every ones tips

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 02:17:23 PM »
Hi Lantana........if you don''t mind me asking, where is the outlet that sells Per Una clothes?

Offline timwhit

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
yea get in the car , and follow the signs , durrrrrr

ENJOYKALKAN SAFETY

Hardly a useful contribution  ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:34:30 AM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 07:39:59 AM »
Hi lynda

It''s in Fethiye not Kalkan but I would be happy to send you directoins via a pm if you want to go there.

Lantana

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
self drive or transfer from Airport

Started by sunlover on Flights and Travel

50 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 08:41:54 PM
by Chucky
xx
self drive boat hire ?

Started by kboutiche64 on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 08:02:04 AM
by kboutiche64
xx
Looking for 4 wheels drive car rental

Started by si18665 on Classifieds - Wanted

0 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 08:33:55 AM
by si18665
xx
Lewis Hamilton's British GP Drive

Started by yelkenite on The Everything Else Area!

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 07:02:17 PM
by yelkenite

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal