Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How much wine can I bring into Turkey?  (Read 5407 times)

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
How much wine can I bring into Turkey?
« on: June 04, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »
Just wondered what the personal allowance is for bringing wine into Turkey from the UK. I understand that it is very expensive to buy decent wine in the local supermarkets so we want to bring as much as possible!

Also, once we land at Dalaman, are we allowed to buy wine in the airport duty-free shop?

Thanks

Livingproof

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3614.0
Live for today, plan for tomorrow, party tonight!

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
Re: How much wine can I bring into Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »
That''s an interesting question. I''m not sure as I don''t know about taking liquids through at Uk airports. Are you thinking of buying them at duty free and taking them as hand luggage? We have the same problem as we love a nice cold glass of wine but the wine in turkey isn''t that great..you do get used to it though after a bottle or two ! ;D

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »
That''''s an interesting question. I''''m not sure as I don''''t know about taking liquids through at Uk airports. Are you thinking of buying them at duty free and taking them as hand luggage? We have the same problem as we love a nice cold glass of wine but the wine in turkey isn''''t that great..you do get used to it though after a bottle or two ! ;D
I was considering packing a box of wine (or 2!) in our checked luggage to avoid the liquids scenario at airport security. As we are a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 children) we have plenty of luggage allowance; I just don''t want to exceed our duty-free limits!

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:17:13 PM »
Some of the Turkish wines are really quite pleasant!  Try Yakut red and Angora white, for example.  It won''t break the bank to buy them in the supermaket.  You can go into duty free on arrival but wouldn''t recommend it for wine.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »
Sorry never been a fan of Angora  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:51:10 PM »
I think it''s 4L of wine per person - but not 100% sure. If you pack boxes in your hold luggage then you will have bought them in the UK and paid duty on them, so I don''t think they count  ??? Someone clever will shout up if that''s not the case. Wine boxes are very heavy...they will add considerable weight to your luggage allowance. Although once you''ve consumed said boxes there''ll be enough weight allowance in your cases for handbags to come back with ;D ;D You do the Maths!
I wouldn''t say Turkish wine is as bad as some wine boxes I''ve tried in UK ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:05:23 PM »
I think it''''s 4L of wine per person - but not 100% sure. If you pack boxes in your hold luggage then you will have bought them in the UK and paid duty on them, so I don''''t think they count  ??? Someone clever will shout up if that''''s not the case. Wine boxes are very heavy...they will add considerable weight to your luggage allowance. Although once you''''ve consumed said boxes there''''ll be enough weight allowance in your cases for handbags to come back with ;D ;D You do the Maths!
I wouldn''''t say Turkish wine is as bad as some wine boxes I''''ve tried in UK ;)
Doh! You are quite right, I''m just having a thick day! Yes I should be able to bring as much wine as we want (within luggage restrictions) without penalty if I buy it duty-paid in the UK. Just that our favourite white wine is Canaletto Pinot Grigio which we can get from Costco for around £20 for a 5 litre box (approx 7 bottles, normally £6 per bottle in Tesco/Waitrose) for an equivalent £3 per bottle. From what I understand this (if available at all) would cost considerably more in Kalkan.

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »
Hi

I have taken wine boxes out to Kalkan in my suitcase - however wine does not travel that well, and you need to leave it for a while to settle :( You can get wine boxes at the UK airport for a normal UK supermarket price.

You can get usually get a offer at the UK airport so I always take a few of these out, and then I leave them to rest until I am next in Kalkan. (They also make nice gifts to an odd expat or two - you know who you are ;D).

You can buy drinkable wine from the supermarkets in Kalkan for 3 or 4 pounds a bottle. I had some a few weeks ago that was about 2 pound a bottle and it was ok.

Em
Em

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
 ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
If you like Pinot Grigio then I think you will find Angora white very drinkable - when we were there last year we were picking it up at Migros for 10TL (approx £4). I understand alcohol prices have risen this year, along with the poorer exchange rate for sterling this could work out at a bit more now.
I''d take a couple of boxes in your hold luggage, but try the local wine - you may be pleasantly surprised  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
what food can i bring ?

Started by bennyboo on General Discussion

19 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 11:03:25 PM
by jayne
xx
What do you bring home from Kalkan?

Started by teke on General Discussion

28 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 11:34:50 AM
by Enişte
recycled
wine!

Started by sandy curties on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

21 Replies
Last post November 29, 2010, 03:36:12 PM
by chrisbo48
xx
Wine.

Started by LancashireLass on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 08:23:13 AM
by Babs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kapitus Beach

Views: 3826
By: Enjoy Kalkan
Kaputas Beach