Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Grr...flight costs 2019  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Grr...flight costs 2019
« on: February 27, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »
Hi

I'm just a tad annoyed.  As we all know flights this year are soooooo expensive that is is potentially prohibitive.  I ideally want to fly from Birmingham, but have looked at Gatwick to see if it's any better.  I have searched with Easyjet and the flight per person without a seat or luggage is currently £499.94 - so it will easily be £600 when all is said and done......

I got as far as picking a seat just to see how full the flight was and it is empty!! I know some people don't book seats and wing it on the day - but why are their prices so high when they seem not to have the passengers...

grump........

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14115.0

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
Re: Grr...flight costs 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:40:29 PM »
A lot of people book the flight and then book seats at a later date, so the flight probably isn't empty.
I won't make you feel worse by telling you what we paid for EJ seats on the day of release from Stansted! I did check the flight last week and it was over £300 more per person!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »
Why. = GREED.     >:D >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 06:50:05 PM »
Those flight prices are really silly especially if they are without any "frills" such as luggage, seat booking, food and drink.   Things we always used to expect with a flight!   Or am I showing my age now?

I always book seats at the same time as booking the flights - it may cost more than doing it at the last minute but at least you have some hope of sitting with whoever you are traveling with.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 10:33:04 PM »
I also looked at September flights from Manchester with easyJet and always book seats at the same time. They had just come on offer and we’re still very expensive. There was only 19 seats booked and most of those were the really expensive seats. So the plane was empty. I looked again a couple of months later and the seats were £100 more and still only 29 seats booked. Flying to turkey is expensive. We’re going on a holiday around Seville and Cadiz in April and flying with EJ. Cheap as chips. The flights were cheap but the cheapest basic flight back was £14. So how can they justify turkey prices that’s have way there. Probably all the money they spent insuring against a disastrous brexit.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »
The airlines are, of course, blaming fuel prices.

Which is, of course, [insert expletive of choice].

More likely explanation is the expectation and rampant rumours late last year that we'd all be grounded because of Brexit and the EU's refusal to allow UK aircraft to fly over precious EU territory, the horrendous costs of visas (really?), and no reciprocal health agreements.

The travel industry in their infinite wisdom, probably deduced that we'd all much prefer to go further (more fuel), to a country that charges for Visas (you know where), and has no reciprocal health arrangements (ditto).  Supply and demand would mean they can charge what they like.

They compounded this by reducing the number of flights, (or not at all in the case of Luton, which only has EJ flying from there to Turkey, generally) or, (in some cases) putting the flight to DLM at 3:30 in the morning, or something more ridiculous than usual.

As I've said before, Turkish Airlines, Pegasus etc., are missing an open goal here.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline lucasvdb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 01:58:54 PM »
EJ from Bristol? Extortionate! Prohibitive!

Also, Turkish Airlines was more expensive than last year, perhaps they don't want to score goals.

So we have opted to use a stash of Avios on BA in October.

A couple of years ago one could have two visits to Kalkan in a calender year.

Lucas

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »
We booked our September 2019 flights last June..............with Thompsonfly (now part of TUI). 7.10am departure from Stansted, 20kg baggage, seats booked etc £410 per person return. It sounds as though this was a good decision based on what forum members are saying. We fly on a Monday and will be in Kalkan for 14 days. Flight home departs Dalaman at 13.30hrs. These are our preferred flight times as we get to maximise our time in Kalkan.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Holiday Over for 2019

Started by NormskiD on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:55:37 PM
by cleworthallray
xx
Accomodation for 4 2019

Started by tonye1960 on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2018, 08:22:11 PM
by sun seeker
smiley
Your best meal 2019 was....

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2019, 12:44:02 PM
by cleworthallray
xx
SEASONS GREETINGS & HAPPY 2019

Started by DRBD on Kalkan Events and Announcements

8 Replies
Last post November 14, 2023, 12:18:57 PM
by khanjiH

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal