Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Good press for Kalkan  (Read 14041 times)

Offline suziq

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Good press for Kalkan
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »
My husband and I have been coming to Kalkan and other parts of Turkey for 17 years. We do not own a property and have no vested interests in any business. We spent 8 weeks over the Winter in Kalkan and could see how worried the local businesses were and how hard they were working to try to make things ready for the season. I just hope this season does not prove too difficult for them.

We will be returning this year and will continue to return until we are officially told it is unsafe. We have friends and family who think we are mad but I can honestly say I feel safer in Turkey than I do in London, any big city or even driving on  the roads. It is an awful shame if the terrorists win and prevent people from doing what they want to do. Life is too short.

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »
Just like to echo what Suziq has to say.  We do not have any property in Kalkan but can't stop coming back year after year.

I was due to go on holiday shortly after 9/11 and my friend asked was I still going.  Of course I was, if I had cancelled then the terrorists would have won.

I am sorry for the lady caught up in one of the IRA bombings, but those of us who are a little older did live through the threat day in and day out, no matter where we lived in the country.  We still went about our daily business.  No one is going to stop me going on my holiday unless as Suziq says we are officially told it is unsafe to do so.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »
As you know I'm firmly in the "life's too short camp"!
I don't think for one minute that MartynE meant to offend he was simply being factual.
We visited America shortly after 9/11 and on numerous occasions were thanked by locals for still choosing to visit their country.
I was brought up with constant IRA bomb scares in Liverpool and lived in London at the height of the troubles.
Unless I am told officially that a place isn't safe I will continue to visit. However I also think everyone should make their own decisions without thinking they may be criticised.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
Thank you, Babs. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone but I do believe in telling it like it is, and it has nothing to do with whether or not I own properties in Kalkan. It is the principle of giving in to terrorists that I object to.

By the way, I do have some credentials in this regard, in case anyone thinks it's easy for me to just talk the talk. As a pro musician in the late seventies (November 1979, actually) I was lead guitarist for Chairman of The Board and we were booked to play in Belfast for a week.  We had to stay in the Europa hotel - at the time, that was the most bombed hotel in Europe. We were aware of this but still elected to go... and we were unanimous in that decision. The reaction from the locals was fabulous, because most performers cried off and they were starved of live music.

Sure enough there was a bomb scare when we were there - but we were fine, thanks to the very brave security forces who defused the bomb.

Were we scared? Yes, too right! But did we regret the decision? Never. Not when we saw the grateful faces of the audience. (We did regret the hangovers though... boy, those guys can drink...)

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 10:31:48 PM »
We are owners and we have about 75% of the bookig we had last year so far and would expect some more. As we have some weeks free it means I get an extra week  ;D! So coming out soon with some Turkey and Kalkan first timers who are not the least bit put off by the possibly of any trouble, terrorism or the like. More danger in many other places and got to live life to the max!

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »
We have the same bookings as last year and the guest's include two guest's who have never been to Turkey before and one a Kalkan first time.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »
I think we have to allow people to make their own choices - whether that's through fear that others may deem irrational or based on their own experiences. We of course are coming to Kalkan, but for the first time ever we are wary. I don't really care about the stats regarding the safest form of travel, I'm a poor flyer - it doesn't stop me from getting on a plane but I spend the entire flight waiting for something catastrophic to happen. Now I have to throw into the mix suicidal pilots and terrorism. My BH is more alert to a terrorist attack whilst we are on the ground....as I say it doesnt stop us from traveling to not only Turkey, but other parts of the world and, of course throughout the UK - after all we live in a country on high alert. If people feel so concerned that they no longer want to travel to Turkey, its absolutely their choice and its not for us to persuade them otherwise. Their fear is very real to them and we shouldn't dismiss it because we dont agree.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Trotter

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
I totally agree that people should be allowed to make their own decisions on whether to travel and not be condemned if they decide not to.
My wife and I love Kalkan, as do most people on this site, and would normally visit for two weeks @ the end of September but as yet are undecided for this year. It is not the risks of terrorist attacks which makes us hesitant, as k4e says this can happen anywhere and we travel quite often, but worry about the effect on Kalkan if large numbers of people stay at home\go elsewhere. One of the delights of Kalkan for us is the ambience around the town and in the restaurants. It would be sad if this were lost due to lack of numbers. However recent comments from owners about the numbers of bookings do appear to be more promising and hopefully this trend will continue despite the EgyptAir tragedy. The cause of this is yet to be confirmed of course but the signs are not good.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
Guests of ours have just returned and thought Kalkan was relatively busy for May. I definitely think there will still be a lovely atmosphere, v chilled as it was when we were there four weeks ago. Go again on 6 June and are counting the days! 😀🕶☀️

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 09:27:02 PM »
Yes Sue, Fiona and I both thought it was actually busier than usual for May, believe it or not. And enquiries are really coming in now, so it's looking extremely promising after a very slow start :)

Offline Alex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
I know this isn't near to Kalkan but it wont help matters..............

https://www.rt.com/news/348735-explosion-atatukr-reports-injured/

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
Our thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families and the injured. Shocking news....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
kalkan resort in the press!

Started by stevewatson on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 09:49:48 AM
by Lizilu20
xx
New Arcelik Fruit Press - 50% of retail

Started by Cosetta on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post October 07, 2016, 02:11:29 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Animal rights protest hits international press

Started by Cosetta on Politics & Debate

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 09:43:42 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Kalkan Good Causes

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 12:54:02 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal