Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Driving in Kalkan  (Read 5964 times)

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Driving in Kalkan
« on: June 25, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »
Hi all , can anyone tell me what it is like driving in and around kalkan, i am due to arrive in July and would like to hire a car so that myself and my family can see the sights  with more freedom ,also can anyone suggest a good hire car company. thanks Craig

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3736.0

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Driving in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
Hi Craig,
          After 10 years of visiting Kalkan we got a car this year for the first time through ADDA. It arrived on time and was a fairly new fiat. Once you drive out of the village the driving is easy and the roads are very good. We went to Patara a couple of times and stayed till 7.30pm (which you can''t do if you use the public transport) We also went to Xanthos and Latoon.
After getting some confidence we drove to Olympos (about 21/2 hours) and then drove to Adrasan and stayed the night, this is a great find just a beautiful bay with beach side restaurants and pensions with the sort of prices that Kalkan used to charge 70ytl for b+b for 2 people.
Next morning we drove to the tombs at Myra and then on to Kas.
We have decided that from now on we will have a car from the airpot (no more transfer charges) and we will keep it for the duration of our stay and explore more of the area.
After years of feeling nervous about driving I can''t wait to get there in October and explore some more. You will love the driving and wide open spaces and going miles without seeing other cars when you get off the beaten track.
Just one recommendation take a good large scale map.

M

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »
Agree with everything The Engineer said but would add another recommendation: make sure you take out an insurance policy to cover uninsured damage - the standard hire car poicies do not cover damage to the underside of the car, undercarriage and tyres, etc. Given the rather... errm.. unpredicatable nature of the road surfaces, you could otherwise end up with a hefty bill if the car''s wheels get damaged going over a pothole, for example.

We sometimes hire a car when in Kalkan and sometimes not; it simply depends on whether we are planning on doing a lot of sightseeing or just planning on vegging out by the pool (the latter being the ONLY agenda for September)!

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
I''ve hired a car twice in Kalkan over the past year after not driving abroad for several years.  It was out of season but I soon felt quite confident and wouldn''t worry at all about driving there now.

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the info cant wait to get there in july , only 14 days to go now not that im counting. Does anyone think a convertible is a bad idea as the kids are driving me mad about getting one thanks craig

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »
Not sure that any of the local companies offer convertibles but with the sun beating down for almost 12 hours  a day and temperatures in the high 30''s, you and your children will be extremely grateful for the air conditioning in a saloon car or hatchback.

You could of course hire a jeep but they are not the most stable of vehicles on local roads.

Lantana

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »
Hi,
    Yes I agree with Lantana there''s very few convertable cars around and I''m not sure that they are available to rent.
This is probably for the same reason that Lantana gave you will be glad of the air con, we were glad of it in June so I can only imagine what it would be like now.

M

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 09:50:14 AM »
Thanks for that . I will go for the salloon with aircon and suffer the the moaning from the kids

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:03:14 AM »
The Engineer recommends a good map- where can you get one? All those I have seen in Kalkan shops have very little detail.

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »
One thing about the air con - if you have it on high enough you won''t hear the kids!!
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »
jeeps are good fun .......and you have natural air con!
we had one a few years ago and haved hired one for this August

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 02:10:30 PM »
Turkeyfan , I like your way of thinking

Offline Speed Freak!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • The Need For Speed!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
Hi Craig, myself and her indoors have owned our own villa in kalkan / Akbel for quite a few years now and have always picked a car up straight from the Dalaman airport, as said the roads are fabulous and we hate returning to the British roads,  the company that we have been using for our guests and our own use for the past couple of years is  enesrentacar.com now based on the Kalamar road, the manager is called Emin and the cars are spot on, they deliver free to the airport and will always be there, they are also great with the transfers and very competitive on prices, we find them very hard to beat! our recent guests have just returned and could not praise their service enough, anyway its another option for you.

On the other hand if you really want to impress the kids hire the jeep outside the Swan Pub with the big lairy exhausts, if you can afford the fuel bill that is!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
Bardebdog - does that mean Enes are no longer in the wee office at the bottom of the harbour hill?  We always use them and go along to pay for the airport transfer sometime during our second week, so it''d be good to go to the right place if they''ve moved!  Cheers

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 09:07:21 AM »
Hired a Jeep a couple of years ago and like Lantana says they are not very stable and not secure. We have a car every time, much more comfortable and a lot safer.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Marni

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 12:40:51 PM »
Hi Rachey

Yes they have closed the office down by the harbour and have a new office along the Kalamar Road.

M

Offline jcac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
You can get a jeep which is a ''soft top'' but in truth its very hot and would suggest something with AC.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »
Cheers Villa Marni!  A little detour on our way to/from the Thursday market from our apartment will work nicely!

Offline kalkan wife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 12:05:56 PM »
I have heard that Central car hire have a deal where they meet you from the airport and bring you to Kalkan, you keep the car for a week, then they transfer you back to Dalaman for £150. With transfers costing £50 that means £50 for the week of car hire............... sounds a good deal to me.

They are above the Kas road near the Samira Deluxe. I haven''t used the service myself so please don''t consider this post a personal recommendation.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
I walk past these guys everyday when I''m in Kalkan..the cars look nice and new and in good order and the guys are always washing them.... when they are not asleep in their sun loungers  :angel: :angel:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Driving in Kalkan

Started by shorey on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 10:41:19 AM
by shorey
xx
Driving to Kalkan

Started by The Engineer on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2015, 11:01:06 AM
by Chris_S
xx
Driving in Kalkan

Started by Bexscho on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 01:22:47 PM
by Bdancer
xx
Driving from UK to Kalkan

Started by clarel on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 05:40:48 PM
by kevincat99

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Benji

Views: 4659
By: misty
Sunset from Mahal