Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz  (Read 43942 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:10:56 PM »
one of the main drawbacks about anywhere hot is that pesky mozzie!!! we alays buy raid and blast the rooms, we use Kov,even the boots own brand with extra deet!!but still they get through our defences..iv'e even stopped putting on aftershave...iv'e used lemon cologne and all it's done is made me smell like a mozzie pancake!!!by the second week they tend to leave me alone...possible alchohol level high ::)  has anyone got any tips for keeping the little devils at bay?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=88.0
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Re: dreaded mosquitos...zzzzz
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:15:47 PM »
Absolutely swear by Avon Skin so soft, the original blue/green bottle. Up until I tried this a few years ago I was absolutely plagued by Mozzies and was so bad one year had to have my bites lanced :'( not a pleasant experience!
Someone recommended skin so soft and for the last few years I've used it with spectacular results. I use the shower gel, then slap on the body lotion before I go out in the evening, also use the local Zin Kov or whatever it's called as extra precaution. Cannot recommend it highly enough and I've already got my supplies for when I'm next out at the end of June.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:34:05 PM »
Also meant to say I had tried vitamin B complex tablets, garlic tablets, marmite and I think Brewers yeast, all of which I had been told would help and nothing did. Also took course of antihistamines before going but all to no avail. The mozzies got me and I suffered horrible allergic reaction every time. Skin so soft is the only thing to work for me.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:26:11 PM »
Snap!! the Avon Skin So Soft is the best for most people. I also take one a day antihistamines for a week before I go and during my holiday to reduce the allergic reaction. I once had an infected bite and my doctor recommended brewers yeast as she used that when she worked in Africa. Hopefully the council are keeping on top of the regular spraying in Kalkan to kil the blighters.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »
zzzzzzzz....apparently the little blighters are not soooooo bad this year (well yet anyway!!) - coz they have not had so much rain over the winter and lying water for the breeding things..!!  However - I won't believe that until i don't feel them biteing me - personally I find SinKov or Off the best spray on - saves a fortune on nicer perfume of an evening LOL!!  Also - we make sure we close our windows at dusk and pop in one of those electric Raid tabs and we find those precautions generally work!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline KalkanJules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »
Can I just ask- I'm on the Avon website as I've heard that skin so soft works before so i'm definatley going to buy some- is it the dry oil body spray that i need to get ?

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
Hi Kalkan Jules. I'd be wary of using the dry oil spray as if any of it gets on tiled floors it turns them into a skating rink! might not get bitten but probably break a limb or two. Best to get the body lotion or the body souflle, they also do a shower gel.

Offline KalkanJules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 09:51:46 PM »
Thanks for that I didn't realise there were so many products until I clicked the next couple of pages !! ::)

There's a sale on at the moment too for everyone that want's to stock up ! Think i'll buy the shower gel, shaving foam, mosturiser... you can never have too many beauty products, lol ! ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:51:54 PM »
just had a look on their web site and they got both available. price for both of them is only £4 and will be the best £4 you'll spend this year. Remember it's apparently only the blue/green one, think it's called soft and fresh which works, the other fragrances don't seem to do the job.

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
It is strange and I hate to advertise but whilst I can not wear Avon makeup, the only suncream that works for me is Avon, if I use any other regardless of price I get prickly heat something shocking. So look like I will be getting skin so soft to keep away the mozzies, but it will also act as an after sun. So thanks for that. Should we start a link of what you use for prickly heat.

Offline KalkanJules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »
Yes- prickley heat is something else I get !!!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »
thankfully I've never had prickly heat but my mum used to regularly get it. I remember she was told that the only way to avoid it was to keep her skin free of any sun products as they blocked the pores and made it worse. She had to have cool showers regularly, completely cover up from the sun and take antihistamine. Not much fun :(

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 01:19:30 PM »
thanks for the tip regards Avon...we will defo give it a whirl..anything is worth a try.don't you just dread putting the light out and hearing that dreaded zzzzzzzzz..only to see nothing when the light goes on :D

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 08:17:25 PM »
The Avon dry oil spray is my deterrent of choice, it smells nice, gives your arms and legs a sexy shine and the mozzies can't bite. Just be careful when you put it on,(stand on atowel). I also close all the windows and spray all the rooms with Raid before we go out to kill any lingerers. It does not matter which scent you pick, all the range as the same effect. Apparently Lord Lichfield use to insist on the photo. models using it when they were on location in far away places!!

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 08:33:04 AM »
I too discovered Avon skin so soft last year and didn't get quite so many bites as in previous years. My other half didn't use it "girly stuff" and suffered for his error/vanity!!

We both used it while in Egypt at Xmas and it cetrainly seemed to work.

I hear that our troops are very taken with it and have been bulk ordering. This may be a sales ploy however!!

Jo

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 08:39:25 AM »
If you enter the code BIRTHDAY at the checkout at www.avonshop.co.uk you will receive 10% off and free delivery!

Just a little tip  ;D

Offline Truffle1049

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
We tend to use Mosquito Milk....solution from Boots I think, I suffer badly with bites and the reaction, sounds like it might be worth trying the Avon product....

Offline Truffle1049

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Can someone give me some more details of the Avon Skin so Soft product to deter the little blighters.....been on the Avon website and not too sure what product I should be looking at......

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
Soft and fresh (it's in a green/blue container) comes in body lotion, body souflee, dry oil spray but be careful when applying this as if it gets on the floor makes it very slippy, and shower gel. All on special just now and cost around £2 each. go on to web site and search under "shop by product line" this will bring up complete skin so soft range.
Hope this helps :)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 11:20:45 PM »
ok forget that last post i've just checked and it's moved :o search under shop by category for "soft and fresh" and it brings up entire range. Hope they don't move it again!!!!!!!!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
The dreaded mozzies

Started by RachelS on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 10:03:00 PM
by kalkanbelle
xx
The dreaded Virus

Started by Griffo63 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 08:40:16 PM
by Griffo63
xx
Those dreaded mosqitos

Started by tonik on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 01:23:20 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
mosquitos

Started by michelle from newcastle on General Discussion

30 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:05:36 AM
by LancashireLass

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal