Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: David Cameron in Kalkan!  (Read 7490 times)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
David Cameron in Kalkan!
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »
Just thought I would let you know Kalkan hits the papers again as David Cameron visits.... article from the Sunday Mirror below, or follow this link - http://www.mirror.co.uk/2008/08/23/exclusive-lavish-holiday-exposes-the-lie-of-ordinary-guy-david-cameron-115875-20708731/

Trying to remember which one the Indigo restaurant is now!

Exclusive: Lavish holiday exposes the lie of ''ordinary'' guy David Cameron
From Kate Mansey and Vanessa Altin in Gobun, Turkey, and Ollie Tree in London 23/08/2008

David Cameron changes after a swim while wife Samantha sunbathes
''Bucket and spade'' Dave has shown his true ''blue'' colours by holidaying on a £21,000 a week yacht, surrounded by an armada of seven boats of 74 mates and family and banqueting in the finest restaurants.

Sunbathing on a £21,000-a-week yacht, waited on by an army of staff, this is the holiday Tory leader David Cameron would prefer that you didn''t see.

Mr Cameron and his family joined 74 friends on seven traditional gulet boats for a week-long tour of the Turkish Riviera which ended yesterday.

Each of the double-masted wooden vessels with 20ft high white sails has its own personal chef, captain and two crew hands.

It was Mr Cameron''s second holiday within a month, but, unlike the first, he didn''t invite the Press along. Three weeks ago the Tory leader and wife Samantha posed for official pictures as he holidayed with his family on a humble bucket-and-spade beach in Cornwall.

With the credit crunch biting, he portrayed himself as a stay-at-home politician in touch with the electorate.

His photo-calls and interviews led even his most loyal Tory newspapers to mock his opportunism.

But there was no fanfare at all for his decadent week-long tour off Turkey''s south-west coast.

Mr Cameron, 41, flew to Turkey last Saturday, where the former PR executive took advantage of its closeness to the conflict in Georgia and used a private plane for a quick photocall with the Georgian president in Tbilisi.

But by Sunday morning he, Samantha, 37, and their children had joined the sailing party off the Fethiye peninsula to celebrate the 60th birthday of his mother-in-law Viscountess Astor. The total cost of hiring the seven gulets was an estimated £150,000.

As the armada organised by Samantha''s stepdad, Tory peer Viscount Astor sailed majestically out of Gocek Harbour it looked like a scene from 1970s BBC drama The Onedin Line. Margaret Churcher, 62, on holiday from Leicester with her daughter and son-in-law, said: "They were really impressive they took up the whole bay as they sailed out.

"Those are beautiful boats but I''ll have to keep dreaming. We were in just a tiny sailing boat that would probably fit in one of their cabins."

Mr Cameron, his family and in-laws, were in a traditional gulet yacht called the Sema Tuana which sleeps 10.

By day, they swam in the clear blue sea, laughed with pals and drank bottle after bottle of wine served by the dutiful staff. At night, the Camerons dined at rustic seafront restaurants. The large group of pals ate fresh seafood, Turkish mezes and drank local wines at little restaurants dotted along the rugged Aegean coastline.

On Wednesday, they relaxed on plush sofas as the MP for Witney read John Milton''s epic 17th century poem Paradise Lost in the 38C (102F) heat.

After showering and changing on board, scores of diners were ferried to land by inflatable dinghies.

That night the party took over the Indigo Terrace restaurant in the pretty Turkish port of Kalkan until 2am before being taxied back to sea on their boats.

A total of 76 guests racked up a bill of more than £2,000.

Waiter Huseyin Aslan, 32, said: "They were all very wealthy and looked like they were here for a lot of fun. They were well behaved but there was a lot of laughing and drinking and some dancing.

"It''s very rare to have so many guests all arriving by sea in gulets. We spent all day getting the tables ready because we were told they were very important guests, so everything had to be right."

On Thursday after another day of swimming and drinking, the boats docked at the Kapi restaurant in Kapi Creek, Gobun, where the party packed a long line of tables for a Turkish banquet of fresh fish and wine.

Some of the Tory leaders friends dressed up as pirates for a special theme night, wearing big hoop earrings and skull-and-crossbones bandanas.

While they slept-in the next morning in the bay at Siralibuk, staff were up at 6am cleaning the decks and polishing windows. Then, in the heat of the afternoon, the armada moored in the beautiful bay of Binlik Koya and the tourists swam between boats.

The week-long holiday ended back in the port of Gocek yesterday with breakfast in the harbour before Mr Cameron and his family left for the airport.

Viscount Astor hired the five-star gulets from Turkish company Arena, which arranged a full itinerary including restaurants and accommodation.  Other VIPs invited to join the celebrations flew in from Britain, France and Italy.

Turkey''s rugged southern coastline is popular with the mega-wealthy who can cruise the coast just across the sea from the Greek island of Rhodes.

But most ordinary holiday-makers have to settle for a group day-trip on a tourist boat because even the smallest motorised vessel will set you back £500.

Tourist Joseph Wright, 57, from South Africa said: "We saved all year to be able to rent a small sailing boat for a week. It''s a fortune for us, so who knows how much the final bill for that party was."

Last night, former Europe Minister Denis MacShane said Mr Cameron, had duped the electorate.

The Labour MP for Rotherham added: "When the vast majority of hard-working British people are not sure if they can afford one holiday a year, here is Two-vacation Cameron showing, as long as you are super-rich, you can forget the day-job.

"Cameron tries to pretend he goes on bucket-and-spade holidays but in reality he goes sailing in the lap of luxury with his rich friends."

- Mr Cameron posed for so many pictures in Cornwall that even the Tory Daily Telegraph mocked him in the headline: ''David Cameron shock: no photo opportunities in last 48 hours''.

On July 27, his two-week break began with an official photocall he and Samantha posing on the beach at Harlyn Bay.  He posed again the next day and the day after that, with TV cameras invited to join him at a farmers market.

Then on August 10 a more telling picture spread appeared in which he shamelessly promoted a trendy swimwear range owned by his fellow Old Etonian Jonnie Boden.

kate.mansey@sundaymirror.co.uk

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2279.0

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
Re: David Cameron in Kalkan!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »
£2000 divided by 76 people is only £26 a head, not exactly high rollers!

What a ridicuous article, making snidy comments about David Cameron, his family and friends going on holiday and daring to partake in activiites such as swimming, sunbathing, drinking and OMG...having fun.

How very dare he!!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
That''s what I like to see... balanced, objective reporting in the red-tops... no political bias whatsoever... such quality journalism!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »
He walked right past us in Kalkan..........good on him......who takes any notice of the Daily Mirror who''s readership is dwindling faster than the Labour Party membership......didn''t see them having ago at Blair all those years he was poncing free holidays all over the world. 

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »
The Indigo is the old Ibo beach club, raised up at the end of the harbour before you walk out to the lighthouse on the harbour wall. It was given a make over in the winter and is now very nice.

Offline yoyo

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »
So, he went on another holiday  :o which was paid for by his weathly father in law to celebrate the birthday of the mother in law!!  If the offer was there, I wouldn''t pass on it (and can you imagine the problems he''d have from the wife if he had refused to go to the mother in laws do!) ;)

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:32:45 AM »
Hi
I am glad to see our future Prime Minister has good taste!
 ;D
Em
Em

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 06:32:41 AM »
Interesting that the journalist called it the Indigo Terrace Restaurant rather than the Indigo Beach Club....obviously made it sound more like ''the finest restaurant'' they wanted to portray.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:39:43 AM »
Good job Gordon Brown and John Prescott wern''t in the sea  in Kalkan ,there would have been reports of whale sightings  ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
Prescott would be to busy filling his fat face and chasing women...........

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »
Blimey... i''m turning into john Prescott!! :-[ :o

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »
No wonder I didnt know where the Indigo Terrace Restaurant was!!!

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
Blue Lizard there is a fundamental difference between you and John Prescott. You are a lizard, he is a slug!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cameron will fight to let Turkey Join EU

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Politics & Debate

25 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 06:22:07 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
This one’s for you David!

Started by Haybo on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2019, 07:12:52 AM
by Alibobs
xx
Happy St David's Day

Started by Honey on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 01:34:39 PM
by felicity
xx
Beware of rental requests from a David Francis

Started by Elee on Accommodation and Hotels

47 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 10:43:39 PM
by maryjane

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Snow in April 2012

Views: 2808
By: pw
turkey 2010 061.jpg