Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Christmas in Kalkan  (Read 8878 times)

Offline limetree

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Christmas in Kalkan
« on: November 17, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
Just had a look at flight availability and thinking of spending a few nights in Kalkan over Christmas - Hubby not too keen as he says there
will be nothing to do and the villa will be too cold  - ( he hasn''t got a good imagination!)
Being on our own, will we be like "Billy No Mates"? or will there be places open to celebate Christmas day?  I fancy a brisk walk on Patara
followed by a fab meal at Aubergine - but not sure if open, whether they would be fully booked. or what to expect.
If any of you have spent Christmas there, or are intending to, any advice would be appreciated.
The other point of course, is the building work.  Can anyone let me know how noisy it is in Kisla at the moment - we already have villas either side of us so hopefully it shouldn''t be too bad.
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=886.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Christmas in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 07:11:38 PM »
Hi Limetree - take a look at this thread http://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php/topic,877.msg7668.html#msg7668 as I think much of that will apply to Christmas Day.  I expect that you will definitely not be billynomates as there are sure to be plenty of english visitors and expats celebrating Christmas day.  Aubergine and others will be open but it might be advisable to book but a local will able to confirm for sure!!  It sounds a lovely way to spend xmas - a lovely walk along patara and then a great meal - you lucky thing - I have yet to persuade my family to do this - i might just persuade them for new year next...!!

Re: building work - have enough Angora and raki and you''ll be out for the count and won''t hear any of the building work..!!  LOL!!   :o ;D :o ;D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 08:02:22 PM »
I''m sure not just "english" bit welsh, irish and scots too!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 06:34:10 PM »
Limetree,   Do you have an open fire in your villa, if so get some logs and enjoy the warm from the fire.  If not there are plenty of other options, gas/oil heaters your a/c units do they have heat on them?

Kalkan & surrounding area is lovely in the winter, the town itself is relaxed & cosy, some of the bars are open and eating places too, plenty to see and places to visit.  You must however bear in mind the changes in the weather, and it seems the first snow is on top of the mountains already in places near by, it can be chilly and wet but on the otherhand the next day could be warm & sunny, enough for a tanning catch-up on the face and chill out.
 The evenings and night do get cold & windy so be prepared, sling a couple of hot water bottles in the bed and a blanket and after acouple of bevvies - bliss.

There will be plenty of people in Kalkan during Christmas and even more for the New Year so sure you will enjoy & have a good time, it will be what you make it.

As for the building well yes it will be going on, just have to grit your teeth, just remember it gets dark there early too in the evenings so things get quieter. 

Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »
I think it depends on what you are looking for over xmas and New Year.  if we were not both working, then we would definately give it a try and head off for a few weeks. We have been out in March and had h.  ad mixed weather.  Great when the sun shines, but cold if not.  So...for our circumstances, we will probs do as we normally do, go to the Canaries in Feb and then back to Kalkan in april / May when we know the weather will be more reliable.  We go to Istanbul on Thursday, so will be interesting!  If we weren''t both working, we would have had no hesitation but to catch a flight to Kalkan before xmas, irrespective of the weather.  But....we will fly back and consider the retirement plan next year...

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:16:38 AM »
Kim

Both myself and OH are still working full time and are of the senior side of life, infact he should have
retired by now, so not sure what difference it makes if you''re working or not except for taking A/L, & as already mentioned, it is nice to see the other seasons rather than just the spring/summer.
Enjoy Istanbul and take your vest etc, as understand its cold and there is snow.

Offline Kim

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 06:07:47 PM »
Hi DRBD, yes our A/L is straining at both ends!  I negotiated another weeks holiday last year, so that gives me 6 weeks plus 2 weeks at xmas, but even that doesn''t seem to stretch!  Plus OH has an international contract to fulfil which takes him out of the country for about 10 weeks a year also.  The will is there.....we just need to finalise the retirement plan!!  :P

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
We went to Kalkan Christmas last year (in fact due to the flight timetable from Gatwick we flew out on Christmas day and got there early evening!!!).   Kalkan had a very local feel to it...there were a few restaurants open...Kaya, Sofra, the one right down the bottom of the hill in the harbour, auberinge, "freds"...but the nicest bit being that some of them had lovely open fires....(moonlight was open too...but not many people obviously).   The weather was very kind to us...only one day of slightly damp weather - the rest of the time we could sit out for lunch in t-shirts...but the evenings got VERY cold, it would drop almost instantly.....
Boxing day we went to Patara and had a picnic at the ampitheatre - it was great, really fab...the beach was flat which was weird as its usually "churned" up....we went for the longest walk ever...
New Years eve was a real highlight...we went to Sofra and they made us feel SO welcome...it was predominatly turkish family, with great dancing but some brits too...as usual the food was excellent they made the holiday complete....(also they were competing with Aubergines fireworks on their terrace which was fun too!!). 
Like I said Kalkan had a local feel..(nice kebab stall at top of village!) there wasn''t a lot to do..but then if you think about it theres not loads to do in summer in reality - its just that you just don''t notice it as much as you sit out in the sun.  Unfortunatley when us brits sit indorrs we seem to need a box with moving pictures to entertain us....BUT as we didn''t have that in Kalkan we read, played some CD''s, switched the aircon onto hot and snuggled up - it was so relaxing... (we did have our apartment to furnish which kept us busy in the day) but saying that I could think of lots of places to visit that we don''t do in the summer ''cause its too hot!!.   We are still considering coming out ourselves at Christmas again as we have holiday that we have to take over xmas.....the only question we have is about Bairam which starts on the 21st...I''m wondering if it would effect the nubmer of restaurants/business''s opening during that time........but regardless take your goodies from home and relax - you''ll love it.....(BTW there was some building - a bit hole in the middle of the town...but to be honest it was more amusing than bothering...watching the activity!!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »
Thanks for that update - that should answer all the queries anyone should have, it sounds as though you enjoyed it :)

Offline Linsue

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 12:44:35 PM »
I have been in Kalkan for the last 5 years at christmas and/or New year.  I have found my experience depends on many factors - the people you go with - a larger crowd is better, who else is out there to help the party atmosphere, the weather last year was fabulous but if it''s rains it is utterly miserable and no-one is around at all.
I have decided not to go this year as the flights are ridiculous prices and also because I will have building work going on at the back of me and we all know how loud those diggers are!  In the winter time they are going morning, noon and night - just like Chinese water torture! 

On a positive note, it is lovely being there when the sun shines and you can have lunch outside with a good book and a glass of wine.  It''s also a really good time to get things sorted for your property. 
If you decide to go I''m sure you will love it - and a new way of seeing Kalkan!!

Offline molly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
GO GO GO GO you lucky things but book Aubergine!!!!!!!

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
A bit late I know to join in with this discussion, but I''ve just returned from spending my first Christmas and (a last minute change of flights) New Year also.

I had a wonderful time. The weather was terrific, lovely sunshine most days. Chilly at night, but the fireplace came into it''s own.

I was in Kalkan the year before in December but I noticed this year, there seemed to be more restaurants open this time round. All of them along the harbour, especially new year''s eve. It was so magical with all the lights. Restaurants with fireplaces had them all lit and those without just made bonfires - either in wheelbarrows or on the terrace opposite the restaurant and put seating all around so the customers could keep warm while they sat and had drinks - a great idea! The fireworks went off at midnight and it was fab!

There didn''t seem to be too much building work going on, not like year before. But they were repairing the roads from all the storm damage.

As said before, if the weather is good then you do get to see people around.  If it''s bad then they tend to stay in - either sat at a bar (Kaya) or maybe at home. I tend to take the opportunity to do all the necessary work to prepare for next season. Purchases tend to be a bit cheaper too.

You do get to see the ''real'' Kalkan in winter which I think is wonderful.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Christmas Eve in Kalkan

Started by radders on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post December 24, 2008, 11:58:51 PM
by theinspector
xx
Christmas in Kalkan!

Started by Em1 on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 09:03:50 PM
by Em1
xx
Christmas in Kalkan

Started by kalkan4eva on General Discussion

19 Replies
Last post December 11, 2014, 10:17:58 AM
by Chris_S
xx
Christmas lunch in Kalkan

Started by amber on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 06:36:40 AM
by kevincat99

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal