Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Care hire or Taxis?  (Read 5159 times)

Offline petemw5

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Care hire or Taxis?
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »
Hi,

I am arriving in Kalkan for 2 weeks on 18 August. We're a group of 7 adults and 2 kids. None of us have ever been to Kalkan and we're very much looking forward to it.

We've hired a villa which is in a region of Kalkan called Kordere (hillside?) not far from a road called Vatan Cd (?). So basically aware that it is up in the hills a bit and probably a bit of a treck into Kalkan by foot.

We are wondering whether to hire 2 cars for the duration, or whether we can instead rely on Taxis?

I've seen the useful car hire link on this website and have emailed an enquiry, but what are people's views on the Taxi service in Kalkan generally?

Mainly:
Is there a taxi service which you can call to order a taxi to pick you up at your villa, and is it reliable?
Are there taxis at the local supermakets so we can bring our food/wine shopping back?

For day trips to places like to Saklikent Gorge or Kaputas Beach, can this be done by taxi (especially for return!) or is it best to have your own car?

Any useful input/thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9956.0

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Care hire or Taxis?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »
Hi Pete,

I would vote for a hire car every time.Walking this time of year is not easy with the intense heat.There are a lot of taxis which gather outside Yali supermarket.Yali is the best supermarket in my opinion.Saklikent gorge is not far and you can get there easily by car.

Hire vehicules offer freedom to go where you like,when you like.Your holiday will be enhanced more by having a hire car and not having to rely on taxis all the time,reliable though they are.

Enjoy Kalkan.You will love it !!!

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »
Taxis a quite expensive in Kalkan but then again hiring 2 cars will be too - approx £600 for 2 basic family cars. Here's something to think about:
15 seater mini bus transfer will get  you all there together for approx £90 each way, you can then hire cars in Kalkan for odd days or whenever you need one. There is plenty of choice for transfers & car hire in town.
You can then spend the money you've saved on a fortnights hire charges for taxis as and when you need them.
I was there in a party of 7 in June and we used a guy called Hasan to ferry us about - he has a Merc Vito or similar large people carrier. You'll be able to get his number by searching on here I think.

Hope this helps.

PW
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:12:05 AM by peterwilka »
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline petemw5

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies!

@PW

We had thought about hiring cars just for the odd day, but the bloke we are hiring the villa from has suggested as its peak season there might be no cars available?

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »
Well, that possible I guess but I hope he's wrong! We're flying out the day before you for 2 weeks and i was planning on just hiring a car for a day or 2 each week and it's gonna be too hot to fight you for one!!

PW

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »
The area you are staying in is about 10 min by car from the centre ( we looked at some property out there). As its on the main route into Kalkan (berzigan road)  you maybe be able to catch a dolmus. have you asked the owner how much taxi fares are to the villa, I would think they would be in the region of 20/25 lire each way, which might help you work out costs . Also most car hire/transfer companies will do a deal if your a having a car as well as the transfer. Or you might also be able to a deal with a particular taxi. I'm sure some of the members on here can offer some names/tel numbers

Personally I would go for the hire car option as it's just more convienient, and as Mayday says the heat can be a bit intense at this time of the year.  If you want to PM me I am happy to send you the details of who we use
Isis   

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
your villa owner is right, petemw5, you will struggle to get car hire for the odd day here and there - particularly 2 cars. We struggled to get a car for the day back in August last year and ended up with one of our Turkish friends helping us out. If you hire 2 cars for your entire stay you are more likely to get something, but I would suggset you try and book it before you arrive. Use the search facility and type in "car hire" or as isis says speak to the company you are using for your aiport transfer as they may be prepared to give you a better deal.
The only thing about driving is you would need 2 designated drivers each night who would need to abstain from alcohol - its zero tolerance in Turkey if you are carrying passengers. I would do the sums and see if taxis might work out cheaper - given than you won't use your hire cars every single day.
A lot of the supermarkets have free delivery service - just for your shopping though, they can't deliver you home with it any more :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:53:21 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »
....forgot to say, you would also need to factor in the cost of fuel with the hire car ::)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
Kordere is high up, don't think of walking in the August heat.  Taxis are expensive and you would need 2 of them for every transfer.  You are better off getting a hire car or van.  You can also rent them from the airport and drive yourself here.  And if you want to drive around to sightsee, there are some taxis that will take you but I suspect the cost in the end will be more than the hire car, unless you plan to spend most days around the villa's pool.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »
You can get a Dolmus (opp taxi rank in town) for trips to Saklikent and Kaputas, I believe its about 20/25 tl return = £8-£10 ea to Saklikent which might be worth considering, I think the cost to Kaputas is about 10tl.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:03 AM »
You can get a Dolmus (opp taxi rank in town) for trips to Saklikent and Kaputas, I believe its about 20/25 tl return = £8-£10 ea to Saklikent which might be worth considering, I think the cost to Kaputas is about 10tl.

We've booked the Saklikent trip through Adda Tours and got an EK member discount.
Includes pickup from your accommodation, Saklikent Gorge, Xanthos, Tlos, Yakapark, lunch included, Patara Beach (including entrance fee) and back to your accommodation, all for £18 per person.
Hardly worth trying to do it yourself if starting off with a £10 bus fare!
B

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »
Local company www.bravetours.com offer people carriers for hire.  Would mean just one nominated person per day driving. 

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »

We've booked the Saklikent trip through Adda Tours and got an EK member discount.
Includes pickup from your accommodation, Saklikent Gorge, Xanthos, Tlos, Yakapark, lunch included, Patara Beach (including entrance fee) and back to your accommodation, all for £18 per person.
B

I was just trying to give alternatives and don't think you need to be quite so scathing in your post. Also it's good to support the smaller business's sometimes

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here but have been visiting Kalkan for 16 years and never once considered hiring a car. Have managed to see many places, Fethiye, Olu Deniz, Patara, Xanthos, the Gorge, Kekova, Tlos, Kas, Meis, Myra, Bezirgan etc and all either by public transport, taxi or tour. Maybe as there are only the 2 of us it works out to be cost effective but probably more that I drive a lot in my job and like sitting back on holiday and letting the professionals drive me around :D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 04:04:36 PM »
Tonik 1945. We were definitely not being scathing. Quite shocked that you took it that way. We too were just suggesting an alternative to your dolmus suggestion as had only literally booked the trip yesterday morning and it suited our budget! However we also very much support the small businesses in kalkan.

Offline MightyAphrodite

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:01 PM »

B
Thanks for the info B&J - sounds like a bargain :o)

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
I've removed that silly taxi post now..another spammer ! Not sure where they are coming from at the moment ! ::)

Offline stonker

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 07:32:17 AM »
I had a lovely lunch in town last week on the harbour after which I did a little shopping for food. As my foot was hurting I decided to get a taxi back to Kisla. My point is that the 5 minute taxi ride cost more than my lunch!! There is something serious wrong in the pricing structure.

I know that petrol costs are hight and that the job of being a taxi driver is largely seasonal. But really!! The taxi rank is jammed full of vehicles and it is obvious there are too many of them and especially at this time of year.

I am on a fixed income and have to watch the outgoings. Because of the high price of a taxi ride I tend not to use them unless absolutely necessary. Three years ago they seemed good value and I did not hesitate to call for a taxi - they need to wake up to the economic realities and some regulation would not go amiss.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2011 Care Hire rates

Started by pw on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 08:51:53 PM
by pw
recycled
Car hire or taxis

Started by izzy35 on General Discussion

19 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 12:12:48 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Hire a car or use taxis?

Started by claire on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 11:23:58 PM
by Rosie
recycled
Water taxis/taxis

Started by sooey on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 06:54:35 PM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal